Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Substituting Small Rifle Primers for Small Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Ive got 2k wolf magnum srp i need to test out
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Let us know how that goes. I have 5k in the locker.
    I also have 5k...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Heck, in a previous Panic, I bought some Wolf Small Pistol and they were not at all reliable.
    Talking to a loader yesterday who prefers Tula brand, though.
    Picked up a thousand Tula LP primers several years ago for $17/1000.

They all worked just fine in .45 ACP loads with a half Colt half Essex GI type 1911.

I bought some of the S&B primers from Cabela’s several years ago and noticed the small rifle were marked “for rifle and pistol”. So I primed twenty or so brass and tried them in several of our 9mm pistols. My wife’s P99c and my BHP seemed to be the only ones that would reliably fire them. Since primers were cheap and abundant back then I filed that idea in the Bad Idea drawer and moved on.

After reading this thread I decided to try again with some CCI 400 that I hadn’t been using. Loaded up 20 with bulk 124gr jhp bullets that I have and BE-86, they all fired from my G19 and 9mm SR1911 without drama. I have 1000 124gr fmj bullets somewhere in the clutches of the USPS, BE-86 on the shelf and a bunch of brass in need of filling.
    That should keep me in practice ammo till spring thaw.

Site Supporter
    You guys are funny; I’m at about 6K sr primers (4K CCI and 2K-ishTula) through a 229, 2 1911s, and a G19.5 with no failures. Even the 18lb spring in the 229 lights them off.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    You guys are funny; I’m at about 6K sr primers (4K CCI and 2K-ishTula) through a 229, 2 1911s, and a G19.5 with no failures. Even the 18lb spring in the 229 lights them off.

Im 6 rounds of wolf mag srp with 6 failures in a M10

Site Supporter
    Hmmmmm... I have no experience with magnum primers. Maybe there’s something about the mags that makes a difference?

Site Supporter
    My impression is that magnum SR primers in a revolver with a trigger job is a worst-case scenario. Autoloaders have more oomph behind the firing pin strike, though you can go too light on the hammer spring and end up with light strikes there too.

That was pretty much my experience with them in the past when I tried them.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

On another note I have some .233 rounds loaded with small pistol primers I plan on shooting tomorrow.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    My impression is that magnum SR primers in a revolver with a trigger job is a worst-case scenario.
    Yeah, a S&W D/A revolver especially, maybe even with a bobbed hammer. Maybe a Ruger Blackhawk, or a GP with that big honking hammer.

User Tag List