Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another car thread: Lexus GX460 or Ford Ranger

A buddy drove GXs for years and hunts like mad, his dad is loaded and always handed down his GX when he got a new one. He always used a hitch mounted rack to throw the deer on to keep them out of the vehicle. He went to a Tundra a couple years ago and is even happier.

Site Supporter
    I guess I'll be the lone Ranger guy here. I just bought a 2020 Ranger XLT (Crew Cab, 302A, FX4, Towing Package).
    Name:  Photo Oct 09, 13 33 33.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  69.0 KB

BLUF: I absolutely love it. My truck was a service loaner and between that and all the Ford incentives, I got it at $8-9k off sticker. I went back and forth between a Ram 1500, F-150 (3.5EB), and Ranger for a long time. I drove every one of those trucks for either test drives or as a rental (2019 Ram Classic, 2019 Ram 1500, 2019 F-150 King Ranch, 2019 F-250 XLT, 2019 Ranger XLT 2WD). I like the F-150s but they were just too damn much truck and too big for what I need right now. I ended up having a Ranger for 3 weeks as a rental when I wrecked my Explorer and fell in love with the platform here. When I objectively looked at what I needed a truck for, the Ranger was 100% the truck I needed. If I ever need more truck on a regular basis, I'll probably be getting a 6.2 or 7.3 F-250. For what you're describing I think the Ranger would be a great fit.

Pros:
    • A lot more compact that other trucks (It's roughly the size of my Crown Victoria and is just about the biggest truck that will fit in my garage, any larger and I'd be parking it outside).
    • Plenty of power to do plenty of truck stuff.
    • It's got enough room for the family (Me, wife, doggo, 5 y/o daughter).
    • Really good gas mileage for what it is (I'm driving it in a pretty spirited manner and getting 19-20 in town).
    • It's a really mature platform (it's been sold worldwide since 2011).

Cons (and I'm reaching for some of these)
    • The 5' 1" bed is on the tiny side, but liveable. I'll be looking at getting the tailgate/bed extender. The folks have a little 8' utility trailer they don't have a use for anymore that will be coming to my house, I'll be pretty much set at that point.
    • In cab storage is a little sparse.
    • No factory trailer brake controller with the towing package. One is available through Ford as an accessory and can be installed by the dealer.
    • The center console layout is a bit dumb, but certainly workable.
    • The truck, especially the FX4 models, is a bit under-damped.
    • Looking under the hood, I'm glad that it's Ford's to take care of for the next few years.
    • I'm not the biggest fan of the halogen headlights and stereo, but it wasn't worth the $7k to step up to the Lariat 501A.

What would I have spec'ed differently:
    • The technology package would have been nice for the forward parking sensors.
    • Factory spray-in bedliner. Not a deal killer, but would have saved me from having to take it to Line-X. The dealer did put a plastic bedliner in it but I don't really like those.

The more I drive this truck, the more I like it. If Ford hadn't fucked up and made the Bronco Sport a US version of the Everest instead of a tarted up Escape, I'd already have one on order for the wife. I've fallen for the T6 platform that hard. Only downside is it's kind of like a Taco/Jeep, I'm already lining up upgrades for it (FRPP Fox Shocks/Leveling kit, Lariat LED headlights/foglights, Line-X bedliner, etc., etc.).
    Last edited by ragnar_d; 11-08-2020 at 01:54 PM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

I can't believe that there is a 300hp 15mpg V8 with a 6 speed transmission for sale in 2020, and that it is in a premium branded vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    I guess I'll be the lone Ranger guy here. I just bought a 2020 Ranger XLT (Crew Cab, 302A, FX4, Towing Package).
    Name:  Photo Oct 09, 13 33 33.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  69.0 KB

BLUF: I absolutely love it. My truck was a service loaner and between that and all the Ford incentives, I got it at $8-9k off sticker. I went back and forth between a Ram 1500, F-150 (3.5EB), and Ranger for a long time. I drove every one of those trucks for either test drives or as a rental (2019 Ram Classic, 2019 Ram 1500, 2019 F-150 King Ranch, 2019 F-250 XLT, 2019 Ranger XLT 2WD). I like the F-150s but they were just too damn much truck and too big for what I need right now. I ended up having a Ranger for 3 weeks as a rental when I wrecked my Explorer and fell in love with the platform here. When I objectively looked at what I needed a truck for, the Ranger was 100% the truck I needed. If I ever need more truck on a regular basis, I'll probably be getting a 6.2 or 7.3 F-250. For what you're describing I think the Ranger would be a great fit.

Pros:
    • A lot more compact that other trucks (It's roughly the size of my Crown Victoria and is just about the biggest truck that will fit in my garage, any larger and I'd be parking it outside).
    • Plenty of power to do plenty of truck stuff.
    • It's got enough room for the family (Me, wife, doggo, 5 y/o daughter).
    • Really good gas mileage for what it is (I'm driving it in a pretty spirited manner and getting 19-20 in town).
    • It's a really mature platform (it's been sold worldwide since 2011).

Cons (and I'm reaching for some of these)
    • The 5' 1" bed is on the tiny side, but liveable. I'll be looking at getting the tailgate/bed extender. The folks have a little 8' utility trailer they don't have a use for anymore that will be coming to my house, I'll be pretty much set at that point.
    • In cab storage is a little sparse.
    • No factory trailer brake controller with the towing package. One is available through Ford as an accessory and can be installed by the dealer.
    • The center console layout is a bit dumb, but certainly workable.
    • The truck, especially the FX4 models, is a bit under-damped.
    • Looking under the hood, I'm glad that it's Ford's to take care of for the next few years.
    • I'm not the biggest fan of the halogen headlights and stereo, but it wasn't worth the $7k to step up to the Lariat 501A.

What would I have spec'ed differently:
    • The technology package would have been nice for the forward parking sensors.
    • Factory spray-in bedliner. Not a deal killer, but would have saved me from having to take it to Line-X. The dealer did put a plastic bedliner in it but I don't really like those.

The more I drive this truck, the more I like it. If Ford hadn't fucked up and made the Bronco Sport a US version of the Everest instead of a tarted up Escape, I'd already have one on order for the wife. I've fallen for the T6 platform that hard. Only downside is it's kind of like a Taco/Jeep, I'm already lining up upgrades for it (FRPP Fox Shocks/Leveling kit, Lariat LED headlights/foglights, Line-X bedliner, etc., etc.).
    Id guess you can add the forward sensors.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I guess I'll be the lone Ranger guy here. .).
    Respect.
    Ignore Alien Orders

[*]No factory trailer brake controller with the towing package. One is available through Ford as an accessory and can be installed by the dealer.
    Nice looking truck.

That trailer brake controller looks good to go.

Thanks for the responses.

It seems like the Ranger best fits my needs. The GX is badass, but I just don't think I can get away from having a truck bed, and it's definitely a better tow vehicle.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Id guess you can add the forward sensors.
    Might be. I've been surprised how much can be added with a couple parts, the Forscan app, and maybe a wiring harness update.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Nice looking truck.

That trailer brake controller looks good to go.
    Thanks.Yup, I don't need it right now since I don't have any trailers with brakes, but it's towards the top of the list for upgrades.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

On a whim I drove a Ranger XLT 4x4 this week.

My takeaway from 2 different drives: great truck. I was initially taken aback by how nimble it was compared to my Tundra. The engine and transmission tuning makes it a fast truck in a straight line. Back seat is big enough to fit a rear-facing infant seat and allow an adult to sit in front.

Definitely my next vehicle, although I missed my window of opportunity. Inventory shortage has driven 4x4 prices up. Spec'd to my preference it's a ~$40k truck in today's market, if I can find one. I'll let things settle down, but that probably means late 2022.

I'm in the same boat. My F150 might have to wait. Dealers have lost their minds. I asked a local GMC dealer if I could look at a Denali interior, just hold the door open and let me gaze upon the materials--I got a surly, "No, we'd have to sanitize it." When I said I was trying to compare the High Country (Chevy) with the Denali, the sales guy told me that Chevies were ugly. I think that at a $60-$65k price point, we can afford to bust out the wipes. I took a walk and the guy starts after me about making a configuration, I told him I wasn't interested, since I'd gotten better service the last time I ordered a cheeseburger.

My dad's looking at replacing the Honda Pilot with an Odyssey--they told him that they could do $300 off MSRP.

While I respect that these places have overhead they're trying to cover on a limited availability of vehicles, they've forgotten that price is set by what people are willing to pay.

User Tag List