Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another car thread: Lexus GX460 or Ford Ranger

Another car thread: Lexus GX460 or Ford Ranger

Life and family is changing so I now find myself needing to consolidate vehicles. I currently drive a Mazda 2 for most of my commuting and an 06 Tundra for my hunting/shooting/camping needs. Both have been great vehicles with some critical flaws:

Mazda 2:
    Can't fit an infant car seat behind a front passenger
    No horsepower

Tundra:
    Abysmal gas mileage
    Abysmal turning circle(impossible to navigate tight parking decks)
    Doesn't fit in the garage(too long)

My needs are:
    -4 useable seats, including a rear-facing infant car seat with a passenger sitting in front
    -6000lb+ towing
    -Fits in our garage
    -$20-35k budget

It'll be used for:
    -Daily driving and commuting (work is only 8 miles away down a winding river road)
    -Hunting/hauling deer
    -General home improvement stuff
    -Towing a JD utility tractor

The GX460 looks like a great deal on the used market. Sub $30k for a 4WD V8 Toyota. I'm just not 100% certain I can give up the truck bed.

The Ranger seems to be the only compact pickup that A) has enough space for an infant car seat and a passenger, and B) Isn't a GM or FCA product. It also seems to be well regarded overseas as a quality and durable pickup, although with a different engine and transmission than we get in the US.

So, who here owns either? If you have a GX460, have you hauled a deer carcass(or 3) in it before?

My wife has a GX470 that we bought new, and it has been completely trouble free. It has been the best vehicle we have ever owned. Except for the gas mileage and more horsepower than she should have.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I looked at a GX470 as a possible tow vehicle for an Airstream 25’ trailer (6,000-7,000#, 600# TW) recently (just as a mental exercise).

The Lexus lacked an integrated electric trailer brake controller, had no exhaust brake, or exterior towing mirrors. According to the manual, towing above 1,500# would require a sway control hitch as well as weight distribution system to restore Front Axle load on the Lexus. As a result I concluded it would be unsuitable for towing a TT.

What kind of towing do you have in mind? Across town? Across the State? Across the country? Up or down hills above 6%?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I looked at a GX470 as a possible tow vehicle for an Airstream 25’ trailer (6,000-7,000#, 600# TW) recently (just as a mental exercise).

The Lexus lacked an integrated electric trailer brake controller, had no exhaust brake, or exterior towing mirrors. According to the manual, towing above 1,500# would require a sway control hitch as well as weight distribution system to restore Front Axle load on the Lexus. As a result I concluded it would be unsuitable for towing a TT.

What kind of towing do you have in mind? Across town? Across the State? Across the country? Up or down hills above 6%?
    Half my towing will be a JD tractor, with accessories. Realistically it's a 4000lb load, on a dual axle trailer with brakes. Trips will be under 150 miles, 700ft ASL, no steep grades.

Besides that a small utility trailer with a riding mower, lawn yard debris, etc.

We've discussed getting a small travel trailer(actually small) but with our family growing that'll be put in hold for probably 2 years.

Why did you look at the 470 vs 460?

Site Supporter
    I came to the 460 from a V8 4Runner. I luv the GX- haven't found a draw-back yet, the V8, smooth ride, and all the extras my 4th gen Runner didn't have. Hauled deer carcuses, ummm no. I get twitchy with the dog hair

Name:  5D3_0915_r.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  94.4 KB
    "There are two ways to do most anything- right and again."

My wife is on her second gx460, the first was a 2017, and now a 2020. Great daily driver but I am not sure about hauling deer carcass, though.

If the rear seats fold flat you can probably haul 8 deer in the back of the GX460. Just, you know...lay down some thick plastic.

My biggest GX460 concern - ride-height adjustable rear air suspension. I don't think all models have it, but a lot of them probably do. From a purely personal stand point, I avoid air suspensions on everything and especially a vehicle that may see regular towing and offroad use. Too many parts prone to failure in air suspensions, parts replacement is an 'if' not 'when' scenario.

Otherwise the GX is probably a happy medium for you. Engine, gearbox, and transfercase are basically the same as the base V8 Tundra (2010+), the reliable 1UR-FE V8. Powerwise will be a slight bump over an '06 V8 Tundra - but the GX460 is heavier, so you're going to get similar performance. Rest of the truck is basically a 4Runner/Prado which is dead-nuts reliable, including the 4Runner's suite of off-road bits (hill start assist, descent assist, A-Trac, etc.).

___

I can't say much on the Ranger front, despite the fact that I own Ford stock, I'd still buy a used Lexus or Toyota first.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I'm just not 100% certain I can give up the truck bed.

The Ranger seems to be the only compact pickup that A) has enough space for an infant car seat and a passenger, and B) Isn't a GM or FCA product. It also seems to be well regarded overseas as a quality and durable pickup, although with a different engine and transmission than we get in the US.

So, who here owns either? If you have a GX460, have you hauled a deer carcass(or 3) in it before?
    I did the “no truck bed” thing for several years with an old school full-sized Blazer. Loved that thing. But having to hook up a trailer every time I needed to haul something got old quick. My next truck was/is a long wheel base F250 Super Cab. Mo’ betta.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Half my towing will be a JD tractor, with accessories. Realistically it's a 4000lb load, on a dual axle trailer with brakes. Trips will be under 150 miles, 700ft ASL, no steep grades.

Besides that a small utility trailer with a riding mower, lawn yard debris, etc.

We've discussed getting a small travel trailer(actually small) but with our family growing that'll be put in hold for probably 2 years.

Why did you look at the 470 vs 460?
    Sorry, I wasn’t real clear, and mis-typed the model number. I looked at the largest SUV they had (LX570?) as a possible ‘do it all’ vehicle for towing a 25’ 6000# travel trailer full time extended travel, as well as regular driving. In the end I concluded a regular half-ton short-bed crew cab regular gas pickup was probably a better match for the scenario we were contemplating.

I assume your trailer has e brakes? I didn’t look at brake controllers but there are after market I understand.

What’s the TW on your rig? I ended up buying a Propride PPP hitch on my 30’ Flying Cloud+Ram 2500 rig I ran for two years. It wasn’t cheap ($2,400) but worked fantastically well. With the Cummins in the Ram, I didn’t need to move a lot of weight forward. The sway control projects the center of rotation under the axle, which made the trailer rock-solid in high winds or past semis.

FWIW we have a ‘20 Lexus RX350 that’s been outstanding.

My daily driver is GX470.
    I drove a lot of the previous generation Ford Ranger pickup. Limited experience with the present iteration.

The rear facing infant seat will tax the GX. The front seat/backseat geometry is not great for child seats (I have two), so test it. Decent maneuvering for an AWD.

User Tag List