Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Donut bullets??? WTF

Quote Originally Posted by DueSpada View Post
    The wounding rationale of the tubulars seems to be the same as a hard cast wadcutter. Just way, way more wicked. Hurts just to look at them.

I would like to see someone shoot some jello with them. I will donate these to the cause. I do have an old soft panel that I may shoot with one to see if the round will go through. These are the copper ones not the earlier brass rounds that did have a claim of defeating body armor.

Dean Grennell used to refer to the Ultramags as "Fearless Fosdicks", after an old Dick Tracy character who, like Dick Tracy was a Police Officer but got into a lot of gunfights , then showed up in the next few panels of the cartoon with bullet holes through him. He always seemed to recover quickly though.
    Name:  FearlessFosdick.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  43.5 KB

We tested them back in the day--nothing special and don't crush much tissue....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    We tested them back in the day--nothing special and don't crush much tissue....
    Apparently the 38 Special version had marginal penetration of 9-12 inches in bare gel. Is that correct?

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I sold a ton of those in the early 90's. We did not have much other than Federal 9BPLE and the Hydra-Shok in the exotic category. Glaser Safety Slugs were in semi-production and Peter Pi was starting Corbon if I recall correctly. Then came the "Doughnut of Death" and Black Talon. Black Talon was almost unobtainable for non-LE people due to high sales, but the Doughnut of Death was pretty well stocked. We sold a ton of them. They kind of remind me of neon clothing from the 80's; neat to see and brings back memories, but what the heck were we thinking?

The B A T Blitz Action Trauma 9mm rounds had a cavity than ran through the bullet. I believe they were all copper too. They did have more of an open hollow point cavity at the tip with a smaller dia. hole towards the base and a plug for feeding that was ejected during firing. Interesting concept.

Back when they were on the market, I saw a picture of a gelatin block shot with an Ultramag.
    The author split the block and found a narrow permanent cavity but laid out a rope of gelatin cut free by the tubular bullet.

The BAT (sensational name applied by Phil Engeldrum of Pistolero magazine) was the Geco Action Defense in Europe. It was meant to feed through a hardball gun, then the rounded plastic nose plug blew off when fired. As I recall, it might expand a bit but was also considered useful for putting clean leaky holes in tires.
    MEN had the Quick Defense bullet but with the round nose formed by a thin copper dome that would crush into the cavity upon impact.
    The current MEN PEP 2 and QD 1 have plastic balls in the nose cavity, akin to the Cor Bon Pow R Ball.

Fearless Fosdick was a parody of Dick Tracy, not a Dick Tracy character.
    It was Li'l Abner's favorite comic strip. In fact, when Li'l Abner got engrossed in a Fearless Fosdick adventure, the Li'l Abner strip would BE Fearless Fosdick for days on end.
    Poor old Fosdick was paid so little that he only got one good meal a week, when his girlfriend Prudence Pimpleton fried him a large steak. She was the police chief's daughter and he hated to see her dating a cop, but gave in to her that one day a week. She was just as square jawed as Fosdick but had a figure approaching Daisy Mae's.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List