Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed Brown EVO and 1911 Transition

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    To be perfectly honest and probably draw some scorn, I’m currently carrying it, the one FTE notwithstanding.
    You probably won't draw scorn for that, but if you start talking about hundreds of flawless rounds we'll get the pitchforks and torches.

I think the VCD grips are the only change I’m going to make from stock. The sights are a U notch black rear and an orange ring with tritium vial in front, which works really well for me. They also place 124gr. HSTs right on top of the front sight. Single side safety works for me. I really like the bobtail, both for concealment and because it seems to fit my hand even better than a standard 1911 grip. Basically, if I’d spec’d out a 9mm commander for carry, it wouldn’t be far at all from this.

Decades from now, if my eyes need it, it could get milled for a dot. But that would be because dots have become essentially a necessity, and also very well established so there’s a real plug and play option that works. And I’d try it on a cheaper, more replaceable gun first, even if I had to buy one just for that.

Carry gear may be set already. JMCK Wing Claw 2.5 with single DCC clip and his high ride AIWB mag carrier, and a PHLster nylon mag pouch next to that. Works really well so far. The holster did need some tweaking to fit snugly to the EVO with its thinner slide, but now it’s good to go for both the EVO and a full size 1911 with a .22 conversion on it, which is a nice bonus. I am tempted to try a Tenicor at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    .... And this thing carries beautifully. It doesn’t feel like it weighs as much as I know it does - though steel-framed, it’s much more comfortable than the lighter but thicker polymer gun it replaced.
    I've noticed the same thing. I prefer carrying my all-stainless commander and K9 rather than my P250C and CW9. I guess it has to do with the distribution of the extra weight.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Haven't been shooting much lately, so there's not much new on the performance side. There was one quick trip where it ran through some 115gr. Critical Defense I had laying around just fine, and I did some more work with gloves on - no issues there so far.

I did notice something while looking at other 9mm 1911s out there, though. This isn't a criticism of Ed Brown, but I do find it interesting.

The EVO series seems to be essentially a copy of the Wilson EDC 9 (which has basically the same top end as an EDC X9), priced about $1500 lower so it's in high-end Dan Wesson price territory. I think that's a good part of the explanation as to why it seems to work so well. Both share a rather unique combination of features:

- Reduced number of locking lugs compared to a standard 1911
    - Tri-top or seven-top cuts on slide
    - Very similar external extractor
    - Screw-in front sight (a la Glock)
    - 4" bull barrel
    - Flat wire recoil spring and FLGR

No complaints here if it makes for more 9mm 1911 options that run, but it does look like Brown kind of copied Wilson's homework. Which isn't a bad thing given Wilson's reputation for making 9mm work.

I purchased the KC9-G4 (blue) model some time ago, when they first were available. Hated the grips and replaced them with a set of LOK's. Also replaced the stock tritium/orange ring front sight with a gold bead front sight from Ed Brown.

I have only shot about 500 rounds through the pistol, including JHP's and FMJ's, both factory and hand loads and all weighing 124 gr. Performance has been perfect, using several different magazines (all EB manufacture). Very, very accurate.

I shot it in a few IDPA matches in CCP Division, and fully expected to use it more than I have, but I have strayed off the path and spent most of my shooting time with CZ Shadow 1 pistols with Trijicon SRO's lately.

I carry Ed Brown EVO in a Wilson Combat leather holster made for a 4"/4.25" 1911. The holster is extremely tight when used with my Commander-sized Dan Wesson Guardian, but seems to fit the EVO perfectly.

Great pistol, but frankly, I prefer my CZ 75 Shadow Line Compact customized by CZ Custom.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Great pistol, but frankly, I prefer my CZ 75 Shadow Line Compact customized by CZ Custom.
    Been thinking of getting one of these. Got a pic to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Been thinking of getting one of these. Got a pic to share?
    Sure.

Name:  9C35F920-F23C-44F3-8290-B4CEF1BE5EAE.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  47.3 KB

Not too much of an update as I haven't been to the range since fall. In addition to ammo supply (I have plenty for now but I'm careful to only pick days that will be productive "good" range days so as to get the most out of it) my range has been under multiple feet of snow, and now is mostly under water from snow melt.

I do have holster notes. Kydex made for a standard 1911 and used for this gun tends to fit a bit loose, since the frame is standard 1911 but the slide is much thinner. This allows the gun to rotate slightly in the holster, with the axis being the front of the trigger guard - it can move a few millimeters towards and away from the sight channel, if that makes sense. Really just an annoyance, as it's sufficiently retained by the holster's grip on front of the trigger guard just as a standard 1911 would be.

My answer with the first JMCK Wing Claw 2.0 I bought for it was, first, to temporarily shim it using some soft side velcro tape under where the dust cover sits. That worked well enough so I eventually opted for a more permanent solution by heating the kydex on the backside of the holster and remolding it slightly for the EVO slide.

I recently got a spare JM holster of the same model. @Tony Mayer seems to be constantly adding thoughtful running design changes, and this new holster has three instead of two retention adjustment screws, with the new one being as close as possible to the front of the trigger guard. This allows for much more adjustment and would be an excellent modification-less solution for an EVO.

I'd say that my remolded holster is a 100% fit for this gun, and using the more recent design holster yields about a 90% fit. I'm happy with keeping the modified holster as is for primary carry use and using the newer one for my standard 1911s and as a backup for the EVO should I need it due to the older one being lost or damaged. For anyone who wants a kydex holster for the EVO and isn't interested in dicking around with DIY mods (apologies to Tony for my amateur screwing around with his excellent work by the way), the most recent generation of JMCK holsters seem to be the ticket.

Over a year since an update, cool. Of course, I meant to keep up with this...

Figured I'd just post a new round count, recent history, and current impressions. Current count is 3665, which isn't a huge number by any stretch for as long as I've had the gun, but it's what's manageable given the current ammo market and my available free time. Even that is only possible due to reloading*. My spreadsheet does show that 209 of those rounds were 124gr. HST. All of those were malf-free.

Malfunctions:

Single FTEs at about 800 and 1900 rounds, using handloads. After the second one, I went out and burned through 200 rounds of miscellaneous factory ammo at a quick pace with no problems.

At about 2500 rounds, the gun when dirty and towards the end of a long practice session experienced what my notes refer to as "The FTE F***kfest," again with handloads (something something "we call that a clue"). It first got sluggish and had inconsistent ejection, then started having multiple FTEs per mag. I didn't count how many. However, while cleaning only helped a little with the handloads, it went straight from struggling with those to running three mags (my carry loadout) of HSTs with no problem and excellent ejection.

Armed with a new extractor from Brown just to be safe, I once again went out with factory ammo and had no issues (with either extractor), including another three mags of HST. For the most part, I still don't have issues with the reloads, but I am switching to a hotter load for those that chronos similar to HST. My conclusion is that the gun just doesn't like lower-powered ammo, and will only work the original handload recipe while perfectly clean and lubricated because it's just on the ragged edge of providing enough energy to cycle the gun. That's fine by me; I'd rather have a gun that prefers hot loads to soft ones than vice versa. I'm of course continuing to keep an eye on it, but my prediction is that a hotter handload will solve the issue. I'm also sure switching to a different recoil spring would fix the issue, but I'd rather just shoot ammo that replicates my carry round.

Other than that, it recently had a doublefeed with range ammo and a range mag, but like an idiot I cleared it, kept shooting whatever drill I was on, and then couldn't track down which mag did it.

Overall, I feel comfortable counting all the FTEs against the handloads and assuming, pending a repeat, that the doublefeed was due to a range mag with worn feedlips. Even if that's not the case, discounting the FTEs and counting the doublefeed against the gun results in about 3500 MRBF so far.

Current thoughts in no particular order:

No changes to the gun aside from adding a 10-8 flat trigger, which will go in every 1911 I ever own if I have the choice. I've finally decided it eventually needs an ambi safety, but otherwise is perfect.

The thing is a laser beam with 124gr. HST. As in point and click levels of easy to hit whatever I'm aiming at. This gun with that ammo makes me look like a much better shooter than I am.

I'm still very happy living in 1911 land and using them for everything pistol-related that doesn't require my .38 LCR. At this point I think I'd miss the safety layers for administrative handling switching to almost anything else. I've also adjusted my grip and some of my other approaches to things around the controls. My current project is adjusting my approach to ready positions and covering targets to reflect the "Darryl Bolke school of thought" and incorporating appropriate safety articulation into that.

I have found that with an Ed Brown manual safety and the way it tapers towards the tip of the lever, I can reliably use my strong hand thumb to do a preloaded-slide-stop reload, which is convenient because I built up a lot of muscle memory for those shooting Walthers.

*My dad is still generously helping me in this department, including testing to come up with a better HST analogue. Yes, I feel like a leech, but I'm finally in a place where I can start setting up my own loading bench Soon™. For those curious, the old load was a 124gr. RMR FMJ over 4.2gr. of 231, and the new is the same bullet over 5.2 of Autocomp.

Have you tried 147’s in the Ed Brown? From what Ive read if its going to choke thats the bullet that will do it. If I were to buy a 1911 today that would be the gun, lw frame and bobtailed. The only issues I see are 1) its a specific to this gun rear sight cut and 2) theres no back up rear sights for the red dot model. They will sell you a slide with the steel sights, fitted to your frame for $1100. I didnt ask for pricing on a red dot slide but it should be fairly close to that price.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List