Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed Brown EVO and 1911 Transition

Ed Brown EVO and 1911 Transition

I had a whole long background and explanation typed up, but I'm going with the short version. I've always liked 1911s, I shoot them well and enjoy both shooting and maintaining them, I was looking to switch to a single stack for concealment and comfort reasons anyway, years of trying to shoot a P99 well hasn't gotten my skill with those anywhere close to 1911s, and this Ed Brown fell into my lap (something of a late graduation present).

The pictured Ed Brown EVO KC9 will be the primary carry gun, and a Kimber Team Match II .45 I've had for years is going to be a backup and/or training gun. With reloaded .45, I can afford to shoot high volume with both, and the caliber versatility is nice for times like, well, now. Kydex from JMCK should be here in a few days. Otherwise, I think all I need is more mags and some VCD grips for the EVO (the Kimber already wears a set).

I'm going to update this occasionally with updates on skill development and how the pistols are doing. If nothing else, hopefully a few people are interested in how a sample of one EVO works; I haven't seen a ton on these, and I know for sure there are 9mm 1911 fans here who may at least be curious.

Today was the first range trip with the EVO, and it went very well. It had 400 or so rounds through it already, and I added 155 rounds of reloads and 88 rounds of 124gr. HST today. It ran everything perfectly, both in the Ed Brown mags (Checkmates, I think?) and a couple Wilson ETMs.

The main highlight for me is that it passed the 10-8 extractor test (using the HST). The performance of the external extractor and hollowpoints in the non-ramped 9mm barrel were my two function concerns, and fortunately there don't seem to be any problems. The extractor looks similar to the Wilson Combat EDC line and S&W E-Series extractors, so maybe external extractors on 1911s are something more manufacturers are figuring out how to do well.

So far, I really like the thing, and it just runs. Really looking forward to having an AIWB holster and mag carrier I like for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Site Supporter
    Nice pistol, I hope it works out great for you. If Ed Brown has solved the 9mm 1911 equation then the EVO will be a good option for people who want to go down that road.

I like your EVO, Elwin. I’ve got the EVO CCO9, in black. I love 1911’s and age + arthritis has encouraged me to get more of them in 9mm. I have several nines, and they all work as well as my .45’s. They all fit my old hands wonderfully, but the EVO just puts a big smile on my face when I handle it. My round count is still very low, so I’ll be following your progress with interest. Hope it works out great for you.

Skip

What holster are you using for your CCO? I’ve found with mine that it fits in a JMCK for a standard 1911, and retains fine, but there’s a little play due to the slide being thinner than normal. It’s just enough that the pistol can move a couple millimeters or so left and right (towards and away from the sight channel of the holster), pivoting on the trigger guard. It also requires a bit of a tighter fit, so that the retention on the holster is on the tight side for my “normal” 1911. I think I’ll stick with it for the sake of having holsters that work for multiple guns, and just have identical holsters with one adjusted for each type, but it’s something to consider.

I love JMCK holsters and have several. I am a big fan of Kydex, but all my 1911’s ride in leather. Just personal preference on my part. I don’t have one for EVO yet, but will probably use Ryan Grizzle at rgrizzleleather.com, assuming he’s doing the little Brown’s, I haven’t checked. Extremely good guy with superb product.

Skip

First range trip since I got the holster for this. Shot another 160 rounds, mostly going through some tests/drills and also working on 25 yard accuracy. At that distance, I'm still learning this pistol's sights, but that's just a matter of acclimation.

Drill highlights were scoring a 184 on the Advanced Super Test and pulling off a 2.23 second failure drill at 7 yards. Both of those are improvements over my previous bests with the P99. For both longer range accuracy and precision, this gun is much easier to hit with. At the very least, it takes a lot less active focus than it does to do the same work with the P99.

Better picture with the VCD grips and with the .45.

Name:  Range 11.21.20.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  97.8 KB

Made it to the range the past two weekends. Last weekend the EVO had one failure to eject, with reloaded ammo. Today it reached 1200 rounds with that being the only malfunction, so hopefully it'll hit 2000 rounds with just the one failure.

Other than that one issue, the gun just runs with the 124gr. jacketed reloads, 150gr. cast reloads, 124gr. factory and my HST carry load. Ed Brown/Checkmate and Wilson ETM mags continue to work equally well. Last weekend I ran it through the 10-8 feedway test and it had no issues with that.

Highlight of the day was 6 rounds in the black, with three of those in the 10 ring, off hand at 25 with HST 124gr. That isn't anything spectacular generally but that's very good as far as my own shooting goes. This gun really likes that ammo, which is very good news for me.

I also already have a gnarly callous on my right thumb where I push up against a 1911 thumb safety to reengage it. Progress is being made.

Site Supporter
    Super clean and elegant looking EB 1911 design, love it! As you say, interesting to see several makers in smaller 9mm 1911's switching to give the external extractor a try. Would love to be privy to some of the large 1911 makers' in-house data on how much difference the external extractor makes for reliability on the really compact 1911's. As a side note, the last decade or so 9mm 1911's have gotten so reliable from quality 1911 makers, it seems like they are just as reliable in the traditional internal extractor format.

Still plan to carry yours after you get thru the 2k rounds test?

To be perfectly honest and probably draw some scorn, I’m currently carrying it, the one FTE notwithstanding. It’s been reliable enough through the first 1000 that I’m not inclined to hold one malf with handloaded ammo against it (chugging through nearly 100 HST at this point was a major factor, as was passing the two 10-8 tests). I had been looking forward to switching to a slimmer carry gun for so long I just went with it. Another consideration was carrying what I’m currently shooting the most. I don’t have the time or ammo to both stay current on a TDA and get up to speed on SA, and I wouldn’t be wild about trying to if I did, so I’ve erred towards carrying the system I’m shooting on a regular basis.

Haven’t been kilt in the streets yet. And this thing carries beautifully. It doesn’t feel like it weighs as much as I know it does - though steel-framed, it’s much more comfortable than the lighter but thicker polymer gun it replaced.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    To be perfectly honest and probably draw some scorn, I’m currently carrying it, the one FTE notwithstanding. It’s been reliable enough through the first 1000 that I’m not inclined to hold one malf with handloaded ammo against it (chugging through nearly 100 HST at this point was a major factor, as was passing the two 10-8 tests). I had been looking forward to switching to a slimmer carry gun for so long I just went with it. Another consideration was carrying what I’m currently shooting the most. I don’t have the time or ammo to both stay current on a TDA and get up to speed on SA, and I wouldn’t be wild about trying to if I did, so I’ve erred towards carrying the system I’m shooting on a regular basis.

Haven’t been kilt in the streets yet. And this thing carries beautifully. It doesn’t feel like it weighs as much as I know it does - though steel-framed, it’s much more comfortable than the lighter but thicker polymer gun it replaced.
    Heh, no scorn from me, sounds like you've already established it's good to go, personally 1K trouble-free rounds meets my reliability bar. Definitely will be tracking your thread with interest as you carry it, get accessories set up, all that.

Are you considering any extra sighting options for night sights, WML + laser, or RDS? Or stick with the clean classic 1911 look and just sights?

User Tag List