Thread: Feel like Humoring another beginner with another simple gear choice made complex?

Feel like Humoring another beginner with another simple gear choice made complex?

So I recently decided to take my shooting to a level above casual plinking in effort to garner some practical proficiency. I have no aims to be a tactical BAMF or an incredibly high speed competitor necessarily, just measurable, definable performance benchmarks that I’d like to progress through for now. I have relatively little experience with pistols that can be considered “serious use” or service pistols, but I have had a good chance behind a lot of the more popular options (few hundred through a Gen 4 g22, XD45, M&P9, and just under 700 rounds through a P30L V3), and I have tried to sift through more than my fair share of internet for legitimate info on top of my time spent manipulating most makes at the LGS and picking the brains of the few seemingly apt shooters locally.

At this point I own a G17 RTF2 that I got as new old stock for quite a bargain, but before I procure the necessary mags/carriers and holster in prep for classes and range work I wanted to reassure myself against the nagging disdain for the recent era ejection/extraction debacle, especially in the face of my predilection for the P30 series and the P226 line. Currently the cost in terms of switching platforms at this stage would not hinder my time on range or other resources as my available time is the main throttle there. Would it be just an unwise move if I were to step out of the Glock, turn it for more than I have in it, knowing the step up may include a more complicated to breakdown/service platform, less availability, and a larger learning curve on the trigger side of the house? None of those attributes in particular worries me, as I am confident I could handle it, but I still can’t help but thinking “Why make it any less simple?”

Part of me is inclined to think I would be more likely to push myself with a platform I enjoy on a non efficiency-based level, and I wonder if there is something to be gained by learning a more complex platform as a whole that could translate into an easier time utilizing and maintaining any other pistol I may later move to. The other part believes the simplicity, ubiquity, and aftermarket support of the Glock should overshadow any other platforms’ perceived benefits as well as the preference of others' ergonomics and handling (and definitely outweighs the “cool” factor some pistols carry to me);especially given that my particular example of G17seems to have just dodged the recent production woes some have experienced by virtue of its age.

Thanks in advance for any input, and for accommodating my overly complicated take on a simple problem (I am well beyond Analysis Paralysis here).
    -Sriggs

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Sriggs View Post
    (I am well beyond Analysis Paralysis here).
    Yes, you are.

You've got a gun. Shoot it to see if it works. If it doesn't, get it fixed or replace it. If it works, buy the stuff you need to train with it seriously.

Problem solved.

At this point I own a G17 RTF2
    Then you are in the wide band of the power curve already. Go shoot.

You have a gun that most people on this forum would buy if it were used at their local shop... Go shoot it.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Well I guess it was pretty clear in my prattling on that I knew the answer already, thanks for adding the affirmation I was apparently seeking. Now the actual fun begins, mags, carry gear and a few cases incoming, now to find some good courses to wrap my schedule around and perhaps some literature for the commute (I ride a light rail).

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    You have a gun that most people on this forum would trade their first born to acquire... Go shoot it.
    Fixed it.

All I can add is more of the same...get started with what you have.

, now to find some good courses to wrap my schedule around and perhaps some literature for the commute (I ride a light rail).
    It's a lot easier for folks to help point you towards reputable training (usually based on 1st hand experience) when we know where you are located. Our members cover the map to include the 2 states beyond the lower 48, with a wealth of collective knowledge and training experiences with most of the major players in the training world, and several quality smaller shops that no one has ever heard of, but provide solid training just the same.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    You have a gun that most people on this forum would buy if it were used at their local shop... Go shoot it.
    I have one. I want another. Don't part with that RTF2; shoot it. Have fun!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List