Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about vetting carry ammo

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    That's the one I referenced above.

In the comments section someone asked if this is good for Glocks. He replied that it didn't really apply to modern pistols so much.
    And yet people have used that test to identify and improve problematic Glocks.

Also, how old does the Glock have to get before it’s no longer ‘modern?’ It is just shy of 40.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Also, how old does the Glock have to get before it’s no longer ‘modern?’ It is just shy of 40.
    Ouch. That was rude.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Ouch. That was rude.
    I’m damn near fifty and I haven’t been modern since Modern English was a thing.
    Ignore Alien Orders

speaking of old versus modern guns, last year i was at the range with some 22 pistols, and a mess of mixed ammo (some standard velocity, some high velocity). i pulled out my "modern" SW 22A, and it was a jam session. it would fire 3-4 shots, and then you'd pull the trigger and nothing would happen. clear it, try again, same result. different mags, same result (had 5 mags to choose from).

fine. put him back in the range bag and took out my 1952 made Colt Woodsman Match target (only have one magazine). i and others must have fired some 300 rounds thru it, and not a single malfunction. sigh. and this Woodsman isn't even a "pretty" gun, it's a beat up shooter that would not win any beauty prizes.

and another day, took out my 1938 made Colt Woodsman Match Target (yes, i have 2, this is the classic first series one, with elephant ear grips), and ran some 400 rounds thru it: same result, not a single malfunction.

so at least in this small sample, newer was not better.

and recently, I took out my SW 41, and it gave me fits with shells not fully clearing the ejection area before new rounds tried to be seated.

guess the bunnies would rather i take a newer gun out when it is time to chase them away.

And yet people have used that test to identify and improve problematic Glocks.

From the context, I inferred he was referring to pistols designed to use the magazine to aim the cartridge at the chamber.

Elaborate about using it on Glocks if you would.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    From the context, I inferred he was referring to pistols designed to use the magazine to aim the cartridge at the chamber.

Elaborate about using it on Glocks if you would.
    Here's a good post:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post556187

That was a rabbit hole. 31 pages links to an 18 pager and Tim Lau and Mac's Gauntlet.

Very well though of and experienced instructors taking opposite sides of the issue.

People repeatedly pissed at the marketing slogan "Glock Perfection" People objecting to Glock's aggressive sales methods.(Gold's anyone?)

The Phase 3 NYPD failure was brought up--does anyone know what the fix was to that?

I ordered an HRED and a FRE for grins. I'll test them in my spare 19.

Yup. My takeaways were:
    -All pistols suck.
    - All pistols should be vetted, and should be sold if they evidence problems beyond easy correction.
    - vetted pistols will probably malfunction. Have another plan.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    I have to look at the boxes, but I bought this at the end of February 2020 so its likely a lot from the end of 2019. To this date, the hottest 9mm standard pressure ammo I've used has been Speer Lawman 115gr. I had actually thought about switching to 115gr Gold Dot and using only Speer ammo, but then the ammodemic hit. I like the idea of a robust 115gr bullet that travels around 1200fps, still penetrates and expands to 1.5x original diameter. I wish Hornady or someone would load the 115gr XTP to 1200fps. That is an underappreciated bullet.
    I ran some Lawman 115 in my chronograph adventures in Jan/Feb this year, and it was surprisingly slow compared to other 115's.

I tend to feel that maybe 250 rounds is sufficient to vet the gun, and 50 rounds of carry ammo is typically good. If all I happen to have is a 50 round box, I'll shoot all but enough to load my carry mag plus one or two spares to account for damage.

My current EDC, an LTT Centurion 92, sat around a few months before I switched it over. It had 173 rounds on it before the decision to push it to service. I installed a TJIB in it, ran another 160 rounds of ball ammo through it, then 54 of my carry load. One of the biggest things for me on carry ammo is making sure that it's going to keep same point of impact at a reasonable distance, so making sure it's hitting consistently at 15-25 yards is on the top of my priority list. The LTT was a gun that it took me a while to really get in tune with. I started carrying it after that, but it wasn't until over 1k that I really started feeling fairly good about it, largely in part that the sights on it aren't set in the same place as my M9 or the 92 Compact I used to have are/were.

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    I ran some Lawman 115 in my chronograph adventures in Jan/Feb this year, and it was surprisingly slow compared to other 115's.
    I am starting to wonder if the QC from Federal, Speer, CCI, etc. has decreased since Vista bought them. When ATK was running the show the ammunition always seemed to exude more consistent performance. Now, it seems performance is different from lot to lot. Obviously I’m just hypothesizing, to prove this would require a fairly extensive testing of various lots of the same product numbers, which aren’t readily available now.

User Tag List