Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about vetting carry ammo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    True. Barrels all have their own identity. I think my APX has a “slow” barrel. I was more surprised the 124 HST ran as slow as it did from everything than the lack of any performance difference between the two.
    Someone, I believe it was here on PF, mentioned at one point having slugged Beretta barrels, and they're slightly larger than other manufacturers. At that point, pretty much all I had were Beretta, Springfield, and a couple KelTecs in 9x19. Have since added CZ, S&W, Sig, HK, and multiple lengths on Glock. I would love to chrono through them all just for comparison's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I was lead investigator on a couple of suicides where a Glock 9mm was used. In both cases, the empty casing remained in the chamber, no stovepipe. In another case involving a semi auto shotgun, empty hull was still in the chamber.
    Can't say that I have seen a lot of malf's in guns used in suicides. I have however, seen quite a few in SD cases and OIS-UDF situations/investigations. In fact, we were seeing an inordinate amount of stove pipes, and dropped mags due to clearance efforts in OIS with a specific duty weapon, which, has since been replaced with Glock 45's. Malfunctions experienced while firing a duty weapon under stress, especially in a case where the officer/deputy does no real training/dry-firing outside of qual's, from what I have seen, is a frequent occurrence. This can happen even with well trained tac team guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I was going to add on to this, but then KevH responded ...

With the number of BWC recorded shootings, gunfights that are out there, watching them you'll see a bunch of stoppages occur. Ones that appear as if they would be quite difficult to recreate on the range. I think they happen because of grips that are good enough to get the gun out of the holster and one to a few rounds off but not much more than that. Why? A startled reaction, rather than a planned one - Oh Kitten! That dude just shot at me! versus Let's go detain & arrest that known to be armed bad guy & I'll start by drawing my pistol. As KevH mentioned, that sudden stress can't be easily, if at all, replicated in training.

At one point last year, I saw back to back to back OIS videos with odd stoppages involving just Glocks. Why the frequency of Glocks? The sheer number of them out there? If I thought there was still a real large number of Gen 3 .40SWs out there, I'd add that to my hypothesis.
    KevH nailed it. NO way to truly duplicate the stress of life or death situations and split second reactions from all kinds of positions and situations. Train on clearance drills, both hands, one hand, etc.
    The body cam videos on the net are a good resource. Was asked recently to present a training segment on "bodycams" so, did some Youtube research and in the many videos I found there was a high incidence of malfunctions seen in OIS. Didn't really surprise me much based on OIS investigations.

My duty P229 in 357 Sig had thousands of rounds through it trouble free. I had a stove pipe with it during an extremely violent encounter on duty. Weird things happen in real life.

I try to train really hard and make my training as realistic as possible and I have experienced a couple really weird malfunctions while doing that.

Glock 22/X300- FtExtract due to gripping the pistol too high and the web of my hand getting sliced too much (Glocks give me awful slide bite) and slowing down the slide velocity. (That’s my hypothesis)

HK P2000 9mm- Was shooting a rapid fire 7 round string and apparently shot faster than an HK was designed to shoot? Ended up with a nasty double feed at round 3 or 4. I think it was due to using aluminum cased ammo but it was still weird. Later I was doing some high intensity high heart rate drills and I had my support hand rolled in tight to the pistol riding the slide lock. I must have been pushing the slide lock lever down or something because the tab that interfaces with the magazine follower, used to push the lever up and lock the slide open, sheared off and worked its way into the recoil spring/dust cover. A couple immediate action drills one after another in a sting of fire, the pistol locked completely up. I had to literally pry the pistol apart. Insane malfunction that would have been catastrophic in a real world incident.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    I try to train really hard and make my training as realistic as possible and I have experienced a couple really weird malfunctions while doing that.

Glock 22/X300- FtExtract due to gripping the pistol too high and the web of my hand getting sliced too much (Glocks give me awful slide bite) and slowing down the slide velocity. (That’s my hypothesis)

HK P2000 9mm- Was shooting a rapid fire 7 round string and apparently shot faster than an HK was designed to shoot? Ended up with a nasty double feed at round 3 or 4. I think it was due to using aluminum cased ammo but it was still weird. Later I was doing some high intensity high heart rate drills and I had my support hand rolled in tight to the pistol riding the slide lock. I must have been pushing the slide lock lever down or something because the tab that interfaces with the magazine follower, used to push the lever up and lock the slide open, sheared off and worked its way into the recoil spring/dust cover. A couple immediate action drills one after another in a sting of fire, the pistol locked completely up. I had to literally pry the pistol apart. Insane malfunction that would have been catastrophic in a real world incident.
    Years ago I was qualifying with a P2000 in 9mm. Had several feedway malfunctions. Think it was due to my grip, but if I remember correctly, I was shooting faster at that stage.

Are M&Ps less prone to these issues due to the steel inserts?

I have been having failure to feed malfunctions on a g17 gen5. I only have the ftf when I use any ammo besides 115gr ball ammo. I've tried 124 and 147 federal premium hst, speer gold got 124 gr, 124 ball ammo. I've used old mags, new mags, it happens almost every round. Any ideas on what it could be?

Your limpwri-nevermind.

Send that bitch back to Glock with a letter full of ugly threats and cusswords.

Let Glock handle it, stop wasting ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Your limpwri-nevermind.

Send that bitch back to Glock with a letter full of ugly threats and cusswords.

Let Glock handle it, stop wasting ammo.
    Don't think that's an option since I got the slide milled and frame stippled. Made the mistake of only running 115gr ball ammo through it before getting the work done to it.

disregard
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List