Thread: What shotgun ammo are you using for training?

What shotgun ammo are you using for training?

Most classes have students bring birdshot as the bulk of the ammo requirement. What is everyone using for this? I had no idea there were so many sizes/choices for this ... Is there something like a Winchester White Box or American Eagle equivalent?

Just trying to build up my training supply.

Thanks.

For most of these classes, birdshot's birdshot. There are variables in terms of quality and safety (don't use steel shot on steel targets, for instance), but just about any lead birdshot between 6 and 9 shot sizes will be just fine for ringing steel at close range.

Where you get into some differentiation is in quality. The lower-end cheap stuff that you buy in 100rd packs at WalMart or Cabela's tends to have issues with feeding and especially extraction. The stuff like Herter's or Winchester Universal, with cheap pot metal rims, is especially egregious. Combined with the generally rougher chambers in late-production guns, I've seen a lot of students spend way too much time mortaring their guns instead of learning how to run them.

I generally run a bunch of Federal's mid-grade stuff for training, and if I'm going to a class or competition, I'll shell out a bit extra for Winchester AAs of whatever flavor I can get (note that they do make a couple of VERY light loads that won't cycle semi-autos, so be aware of that). The hulls are stouter, the rims are stronger, and there is in general a better level of QA/QC with them.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I've shot thousands upon thousands of the Winchester SuperX bulk packs without problem, usually purchased by the case several cases at a time. Generally in #4 or #6 to try and stick as close to the recoil of buckshot as I can.

Federal's bulk stuff seems to work pretty well, too.

Avoid Rio or "Field & Stream" branded ammo as both have caused more problems than I can count.
    3/15/2016

Today I did some function testing of my ancient utility Ithaca 37 featherweight 21", as well as a neighbor's long-stored Winchester Model 12 28".
    We had absolutely no issue with Federal "Top Gun" clay target shot shells; 12 gauge, 2 3/4 inch, 1145 fps, 2 3/4 dreams equivalent, 1 1/8 oz, 7 1/2 shot size. This was the house load for the indoor range we were using.
    They were pretty stout-recoiling compared to Remington green box #4 Buckshot 12 gauge 2 3/4 in, 1325 fps, 27 pellet, and downright punishing compared to Federal Premium (LE 132 00) 12 Gauge 9 pellet 2 3/4 in 00 @ 1145 fps.
    They left the chambers and barrels reasonably clean, too. I'd buy this stuff again. It reminded me of the (rather dirtier) Sellier & Bellot 00 buckshot rounds in the clear shells.
    (My shoulder just called me an a-hole, FWIW.)
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

The only birdshot I run now is Winchester AA 1200 or 1250 fps loads in either 8 or 7.5 shot. These will be about the stiffest hulls you can find on birdshot loads. Walmart stocks 100 rd packs, which is nice if you can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    We had absolutely no issue with Federal "Top Gun" clay target shot shells; 12 gauge, 2 3/4 inch, 1145 fps, 2 3/4 dreams equivalent, 1 1/8 oz, 7 1/2 shot size. This was the house load for the indoor range we were using.
    They were pretty stout-recoiling compared to Remington green box #4 Buckshot)
    I look for the 1-oz Top Gun. Lighter recoil than the 1 1/8.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I look for the 1-oz Top Gun. Lighter recoil than the 1 1/8.
    Will do so myself in the future.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

What shotgun are you using? My 870 Express barrel hates steel base hulls, but my Benellis run fine. I mistakenly bought some 1oz Herters,and the SBE2 hates it, but the old M1 runs fine.

My training buckshot comes off my MEC reloader.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    What shotgun are you using? ...
    Beretta 1301 Tactical. Sorry, should have put that in the OP.

User Tag List