Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions to ask before buying a used Smith and Wesson revolver.... online

Questions to ask before buying a used Smith and Wesson revolver.... online

Title says it all really. I don’t know a lot about revolvers, and I really don’t know what questions to ask when checking out a used revolver that is halfway across the country. I found a used model 29, it’s not pretty, has a lot of wear, some scratches. It’s a bit of a grail gun for me and I don’t mind honest wear. Pics of the bore look good. What should I ask the seller? Any help or advise is appreciated. Thanks.

Ask him what his return policy is.

if I can't get a chance to inspect it, unless it's really cheap.....I'ld pass

Issues with timing, end shake, barrel/cylinder gap, condition of crown/throat, smoothness of action and any "bubba gunsmithing" should be addressed. Unfortunately some of these concerns might need proper tools to measure clearances to see if they are in spec. And the person selling the firearm might not know what end shake or cylinder gap is, much less how to measure it. Buying anything sight unseen whether new or used is a leap of faith. At least with new, one has a factory warranty to address any problems.

Ultimately it is your gut that determines whether to purchase or not.....whether you get answers or don't get answers to any questions you may ask. Good luck!

One quick thing to check are the screw heads. If they’re chewed up from using an improper screwdriver head, I’d be inclined to look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    Title says it all really. I don’t know a lot about revolvers, and I really don’t know what questions to ask when checking out a used revolver that is halfway across the country. I found a used model 29, it’s not pretty, has a lot of wear, some scratches. It’s a bit of a grail gun for me and I don’t mind honest wear. Pics of the bore look good. What should I ask the seller? Any help or advise is appreciated. Thanks.
    The M-29 can be a rabbit hole based on the dash number. For instance, anything before the 29-3 is best suited to 240-grain bullets at 1,200 fps or less. Hotter loads can radically increase wear, which reduces usability. After the -3 guns, differences in sights and other details can make a world of difference.

You need to tell us a LOT more.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Okie John, thanks for asking. It was a 29-2. It’s gone now. Not being able to look at it in person scared me off. I checked back with the seller and he said it was gone. No big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    One quick thing to check are the screw heads. If they’re chewed up from using an improper screwdriver head, I’d be inclined to look elsewhere.
    Good advice. I also look closely at the side plate around the screws to see if bluing has been damaged by incorrect size screwdrivers or hamhandedness. It is also really hard to determine whether or not the gun has been refinished from photos alone unless the photos are of high quality. Target grips can also hide some nasty surprises.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

It is of course much simpler to do in person, but when I bought the Colt Agent I asked the seller to cock it very slowly, then turn it by hand see if the cylinder turned any and clicked into place, or was already in place, then try it with very light finger drag on the rear edge of the cylinder, which he did. It seemed timed right, so I bought it. It was fine when I got it, and weve lived happily ever after for the most part, at least as far as timing is concerned.

I wasnt afraid to do a little work on it, despite much online discussion of the problems Colts are reported to have, but starting from a properly working gun was a desirable.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List