Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kid's first keeper knife

I got my nephew a SAK with alox scales. The alox scales make it feel more stout, more timeless, more heirloom, like. I liked the SAK for his first knife because I knew his parents wouldn’t find it threatening and its’ design doesn’t encourage its’ use as a penetrating weapon. For realistic daily uses (opening boxes from Amazon, for example), it’s hard to beat.

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/search/product?q=:relevance:category:SAK_SmallPocketKnive s:category:SAK_MediumPocketKnives:category:SAK_Lar gePocketKnives:category:SAK_SwissTool:category:SAK _SportTools:category:SAK_SwissCard:category:SAK_Ac cessories:sak-material:sak_material_SAK-M004riceRange:%5B0.500000;444.000000%5D&needFacets=tru e#sak-material&ScrollPosition=1532&maxResults=30&ScrollP osition=510&maxResults=30&ScrollPosition=510&maxRe sults=30

Site Supporter
    When my oldest son was 8 he earned his whittling chip in scouts and we went out and got him a blaze orange buck with a locking blade. Idea being the lock would help prevent injury and the blaze orange scales would make it easier to indentify and find if lost.

Two years later, he bought a BSA branded SAK, which he now prefers and so far has had no issues with the lack of a lock.

I think either are a fine choice but would go with the Buck myself.

Site Supporter
    I've still got the Buck 110 that my dad gave me for Christmas when I was 10. It was my first "real" knife, and I plan to get the same one for my son when he's old enough. He'll likely get the original eventually, once he goes awhile without losing his.

While the buck lock back family is nice why in general are we thinking of buying him a knife that is from 40 years ago?

For the kind of money you're talking you can buy a Spyderco native 5 which is made in the USA. It is a lighter more modern ergonomic design. Pocket clip or pocketable.

Another option if you want something with a sheath like the buck is a fixed blade.

I would add a Swiss army knife or some kind of multi-tool as a great accent to the knife.

Or think of it this way what would you buy yourself for daily carry? And why would that not be useful also for a ten or so year old?

As a side note I still have a three-bladed old-timer and a fixed blade purchased from Sears that I got in the early '70s before I was 10 years old.....

I think I'd like traditional styling, something in the 3" range so that he can actually hold it, and definitely a lock.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Yes. If I was more open to it being modern I’d get him a waved delica — they’re awesome and I’m carrying— wait, no, that’s the endura. Anyway much love for Spyderco and a hat tip to benchmade, but I’d like it to have wood just because.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Anyway, I got him a neat drop-point 112 with cocobolo. Pretty bitchin’.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I’ve still got my Buck 301 Stockman which I’m pretty sure is the first knife I bought. I’ve got my Woodsman which was the first fixed blade I bought and I’ve got my 110 which was the knife I used working at the gas station while I went through college. I’ve got good memories of Buck.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    That is a great 1st knife.

The Buck Family card is a bonus.

I agree that a Spyderco of some sort should be #2.

Perhaps augment the the Buck with a small multitool? Set the hook early re what to cut what with what.

User Tag List