Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kid's first keeper knife

Kid's first keeper knife

Ten year old boy needs a good knife. I'd like it to be something he really wants to take care of and keep, while at the same time recognizing that ten year olds don't always keep stuff. I think I'd like traditional styling, something in the 3" range so that he can actually hold it, and definitely a lock. $100 plus or minus $50 let's say.

A SAK is a thought. I always found them really hard to use. A good multitool is also kind of ok. Have to be American or European.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Ten year old boy needs a good knife. I'd like it to be something he really wants to take care of and keep, while at the same time recognizing that ten year olds don't always keep stuff. I think I'd like traditional styling, something in the 3" range so that he can actually hold it, and definitely a lock. $100 plus or minus $50 let's say.

A SAK is a thought. I always found them really hard to use. A good multitool is also kind of ok. Have to be American or European.
    Are you comfortable with a slipjoint given the pressure of the back spring and the possibilities that carries with it? I'm not recommending against it, it's what I came up with, but it's not for everyone, especially these days.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    What about a buck 112 ranger

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Are you comfortable with a slipjoint given the pressure of the back spring and the possibilities that carries with it? I'm not recommending against it, it's what I came up with, but it's not for everyone, especially these days.
    I thought hard about it, and my first was certainly a slip joint. However, boys tend to try to stick knives in things, and that’s when they tend to close on your fingers.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    What about a buck 112 ranger
    Highly probable.
    Ignore Alien Orders

The 112 would be a great knife...especially if a 3" blade is not a deal breaker.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

You definitely want a folder? My perspective is - 10-year olds lose things.

An Opinel No. 6 - https://www.opinel-usa.com/collectio...-folding-knife - You can have the handle laser engraved. I bought my nephews each one, figuring it it gets lost - it's a $40 knife (with engraving). If they keep them forever, they are durable, sturdy, unoffensive as pocket knives go, and the Virobloc lock works great, by both allowing the knife to be locked open and closed.

For a fixed blade - the Mora Eldris is a small, but mighty little blade for field work, until the boy grows into something bigger - https://morakniv.se/en/product/eldris-with-fire-kit-s/

My girls got Leatherman Squirt multitools when they were 10. Then more capable locking folders when they were ready and interested.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

The 112 Ranger/Ranger pro is a great idea.

Rather than try to ferret country of origin on a number of the usual suspect sites, I hit the “shop by usa made” tab under “folders” here:

https://www.dlttrading.com/folding-k...deintheusa=Yes

Doesn’t mean you have to buy there, but a quick scroll will give you an idea of what’s out there from the U.S. worker...

FWIW.

This is so completely OT, but: I keep seeing the title of this thread, and reading “Kid’s first creeper knife.”

No es bueno inside my head...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List