Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Saving up to get started, and need advice.

I also want to thank everyone for trying to help.

I don't know if they would want to be named, but two members messaged me, to provide advice. One sent multiple messages with advice, and even offered to have me visit and see his setup in action, but unfortunately he's not local to me. The other actually called me on the phone, and spent about an hour and a half providing advice, answering my questions (often stupid questions!), and putting my mind at ease about both the safety aspects of reloading, and about trying to decide what to buy. I especially want to thank those guys for their generosity, both in sharing their knowledge and time with me.

For a bunch of semi-anonymous folks on the internet, you all are good people!

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    100% on the same page with you there, and I was joking as well. Even if I actually wanted to subject nieces/nephews to the mindless tedium of sorting brass, I wouldn't do it simply for the lead exposure reason. I couldn't trust them not to put their hands in their mouths/on their faces/etc., even assuming I had kid-sized nitrile gloves on hand.

Teenagers who like to shoot and are able to comprehend the safety considerations might be another story, though. I'll take you to the range/a match *if* you help with ammo production, that sort of thing.
    Yeah times have changed. When I was a kid my Dad didn't hunt or shoot, but my Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster did. At age 10 the price of learning to shoot was sorting shotgun shells for reloading, and helping them cast lead bullets for .38 Spl and .357 Mag. I even remember at that age being sent out to walk to a local store and buy powder. Could you image if a kid in grade school went to a store today, and tried to buy a couple pounds of smokeless powder?

Well, it's a year later, and components are still hard to come by, so I haven't bought a press.

I've got a FART Lite, and a brass dryer, and now have close to 8K rounds of cleaned once fired 9mm brass. (That haven't been de-primed).

I've also got a digital scale, some reloading manuals, and an Inline Fabrication flush fit QD plate.

My top choice now is a Dillon Square Deal B, but I'm also still considering a Hornady Lock-n-Load AP. I learned a few months ago that my next door neighbor has one, and has loaded 9mm, .45ACP, and .223 on it for a few years. He can help get it all set up, and show me the ropes, if I decide to go that route.

I've been watching ebay for a used SDB, but usually they aren't in 9mm, and often the winning bid is very near the price of a new one. So even if it is a 9mm setup, I'm not saving much over new, and taking the risk that it has problems. With those that aren't 9mm already, the cost of the conversion kit, means I'd save money just buying new.

I'll keep looking for a used bargain, and may even need to break down and go to a gunshow (), but once the supply of components starts to come back to something close to normal, I may just buy new.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Well, it's a year later, and components are still hard to come by, so I haven't bought a press.
    There were a lot of Black Friday sales, and some are still running.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

If I were loading nothing but 9mm, I would feel well equipped with a SDB, I did so at one time.
    It broke twice and was rebuilt under warranty. The second rebuild was beefed up, they were paying attention.

I even got a SDB for large primers and .45 ACP but found that it lacked leverage to seat primers in .45 ACP so I splurged on a Super 1050. I was shooting a lot of .45s at the time and figure I amortized the big machine in six years.

Circumstances led me to a 550 for 9mm which is more flexible and I can shift to .38 Special and .45 Small primer without much fuss. I even loaded .44-40 on it while shooting CAS, with a complete primer feed for large primers.
    But it is no better than the SDB left in one caliber.

The case feeder on the 1050 is good but I don't feel a need to add one to the 550. Nor a bullet feeder or motor drive.

I do have some other brand dies, something not feasible on SDB. When I was loading on SDB I found no need for undersize sizing die or carbide factory crimp die, and I just cussed the Dillon idea of a seating die when I changed OAL or bullet shape.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    The sorting system for 9mm and 223 is probably a six pack and a comfy stool.

Just be glad it is not mixed with a bunch of forty, they get nested inside each other.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    9mm and 45 ACP like each other also.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List