Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving up to get started, and need advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post

3. Hornady Lock-N-Load AP. Auto-indexing, with 5 stations, so I can use the Powder Cop or Lockout. Can add a case feeder later., if I ever get into really high volume shooting and reloading. Cons: Starting to get very expensive relative (although less expensive than a Dillon XL750), and doesn't have the Dillon warranty.

Right now I don't think the Dillon 550C is for me. It doesn't auto-index, and it's a four station setup (meaning no Powder Cop or Lock Out). That makes me a little nervous to not have at least one of those features, as each one helps minimize the chance of a "double charge." Also, the price is about what the Hornady Lock-n-Load would be.\.
    Removed the extra to focus on the two that I know the most about. The Lock N load is not near the press the Dillon machines are and I would strongly consider saving for a 750 if you feel you have to have the feature set. My dad uses a lock and load and I have loaded several thousand rounds on it, the press is far slower than the 550 without the case and bullet feeder and not much faster with as it just doesnt handle the cases as well as the dillon machines. I have personally owed the following: 550/650/1050. I still have the 550 and the 1050 with autodrive. If I didnt need to load 40k rounds a year of 9mm for competition I would probably just have a 550. Its best feature is how simple it is, while still being plenty fast. I could have a new loader running it at 400 rounds an hour in no time and making quality ammo. I firmly think its dillons best press.

I dont find the need for powder cop or lockout dies and do not use them, with the 550 you look in the case before you index and do it with your thumb before you set the bullet. If you somehow forgot to index there should be a bullet already seated on station 3. The best way to prevent mistakes is never leave the shell plate down and full and if you need to step away leave the shell plate up so you know exactly where its at. You will never outgrow a 550 and it will load any caliber you need. While set up how it should be is around 700 dollar thats nothing compared to current ammo cost. Always buy primers at least 5k at a time and pistol powder in 8lb jugs once you know what you need to keep cost down.
    FN America DSM
    Cajun Gun Works and Shooters World Powder shooting team member

Great advice @foxj66, and I agree that everything about the 650/750 is nicer than the Hornady. There is a reason for the price difference.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    As to the Square Deal...well, just puttin' it out there, the 750 is another $200.
    Not to be picking nits, but the SDB comes with dies and the 750 does not.

But... everybody expects the 750 to be used with a case feeder, and it is, IMO, maybe priced kinda high. I know molds cost a ton, but dang Gina, the machine costs $650 and the feeder costs $300. But IMO using a 750 without a case feeder is not going to be significantly different than using a SDB or L&L without a case feeder. And if the day comes when you want a case feeder, all you gotta do is get a case feeder. The instructions show filling the tube, but I would just drop a single case in every cycle, just like you would be doing with any other press without a shell feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Probably a lot more than you think.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/why-...pply-shortage/
    Well, I'm an optimist, tempered by a healthy dose of pragmatism.

I think it will be a while before some of the problems with ammo, both commercially available loaded ammunition, and components, including primers, get straightened out.

However, I think you will see some easing of demand if the Republicans hold the Senate (the GA runoffs will be interesting to say the least), along with some reduction in concern about COVID-19, due to the encouraging news about a vaccine.

However, maybe while I'm waiting out the supply woes that will give me some time to save up for some higher end equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    I think a lot of people use powder checkers as an excuse not to keep their eyes on the press, and to not perform basic safety checks like regularly verifying charge weights.
    That's not what I'm looking for, but I'm definitely a "belt and suspenders" person when it comes to things that quite literally can blow up in my face. Especially since I have an AR-9, and shoot that lefty, so the ejection port, where any "kaboom" would be blasting out of, is right in front of my face.

As to the Square Deal...well, just puttin' it out there, the 750 is another $200.
    I hear you, but you left out the price of dies for the 750. Regardless, I'm going to have to sell this expense to the CFO (aka wife), and a 40-50% increase in initial cost will be a tough sell.

To ease the pain I'm thinking I can start buying some of the stuff I'll need as find deals. A tumbler, separator, scale, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    The SD is designed to load a decent amount of one caliber back to near factory specs. It does that pretty well.
    Well, that's all I'm really trying to do. One (possibly two) 9mm load, for use in my pistols, and AR-9. However, as I read up on it, I do share the concern over the small workspace though.

Several comments include mentions of a case feeder, and it seems like that's what is needed to really make something like the XL750 shine.

So I have a question. Why doesn't anyone offer anything other than a motorized case feeder? It seems to me that a lower cost, but effective option would be to have a manual loaded case feed tube, much like the primer tubes, as it seems once the motorized bin drops the cases in the tube it's all gravity, plus the mechanism at the bottom, that feed into the press.

For example, 9mm cases are .754" long, meaning a two foot tube could hold 31 cases. Seems you could manually load the tube every 30 rounds, and avoid the expense (and noise) of the motorized bin, but still have it be speedier than manually placing each cartridge case on the machine. Although admittedly not as fast as the motorized bin.

Is there something I'm missing on that idea?

Yes. Somebody made one.

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/mini-xl650-case-feeder

And they also made a similar product to feed bullets.

Lee's casefeeder/collator is the same setup--four plastic tubes, with a shallow dish at the top. Drop the cases in, swish the dish around, and most of them actually land bottom-down. Maybe 1 in 80 or 90 doesn't if you do it right. They also have a tube-fed bulletfeeder, which I have, but have never quite gotten around to installing on my Lee AB Pro because it feeds every time the shell plate is raised, instead of only when a case is present.

Other stuff--I'd also advise that the powder checker isn't fail-safe. It requires setting up and adjustment. I'd have a press light long before I worried about a powder check. But I totally get it. I remember being absolutely paranoid about double-charging or no-charging a cartridge. That was probably a really good mindset to have, because I made me develop discipline and good practices. The only squib I ever had was an aggressively-light charge under a 115-grain lead 9mm (and on a very muggy day. But it was simply a matter of not using enough powder.

Don't take any of the stuff I say as push-back. I honestly think you'll be happy with the Lee turret or ABP, or the Dillon SDB or 550. No matter where you end up, you'll always find a use for one of those presses. Maybe you'll get into it and find your needs and goals change. Maybe ammo prices get more realistic, and you'll decide that you're just going to make match and CCW training ammo and buy plinkers in bulk. That's perfectly reasonable, and pretty much everything but the Lee turret will be a huge waste for that sort of usage.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13
    However, maybe while I'm waiting out the supply woes that will give me some time to save up for some higher end equipment.
    Absolutely. I'm more or less hibernating myself--cleaning, organizing, planning a new bench, etc. Loading a very small amount of ammo, mostly 6.5CM for the rare occasions when I have time to go shoot.
    Last edited by Wise_A; 11-14-2020 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    You have time to read this, too. It's an in depth look at which Dillon you really need, but you could extrapolate it to Hornady, Mark 7, etc

https://brianenos.com/dillon-2/
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    You have time to read this, too. It's an in depth look at which Dillon you really need, but you could extrapolate it to Hornady, Mark 7, etc

https://brianenos.com/dillon-2/
    That’s a great resource. It matches my experience: all you really need is a 550.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List