Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Smith & Wesson Revolver Wishlist

Site Supporter
    I have a couple of wishes, one of which I passed to Smith internally some time ago. I don't have much hope for any but here goes.

First, a reincarnated Model 12: modern alloy frame, 3" barrel (for full length ejection), .38 +P rated, factory bobbed hammer and DAO with standard sized RB grip frame. I think that would be a big hit, especially if they didn't do a lock/Hillary hole. Essentially, an NY-1 Model 12!

Second, reintroduce the NY-1 Model 64 3" and/or equivalent in Model 10.

I think many of us have found the usefulness/shootability of the 3" K RB revolvers and doing those two "wish" guns would be successful for Smith.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

More mountain guns

The nightguard series re released but with 2.75" barrels

A 41 special in a 6 shot L frame

Of course get rid of the hole

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    What would you like to see S&W make? What do you think would be a good seller?
    No-lock versions of the Model 66 and 19 in 9mm. 3", 4.25", and 6" barrels.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

This. And this:

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    This thread got me thinking about the way I'd spec. out a fighting wheelgun if I could bend the ears of an engineering department. Turns out I'm just an old-fashioned plagiarist because it would only be a slight variation of the guns with which Walter Walsh planted so many felons.

Start with a lockless matte stainless .357 N-frame and seven or eight shot cylinder. Both for capacity and to reduce the weight, prolonging service life while cranking off double-action shots. The cylinder would be fluted, not only to reduce weight but for index points when reloading and something for leather/kydex to settle in and bind to further reduce chance of an ND going in or out of the holster.

Thin, smooth trigger for double-action work.

Barrel length either 3.5" or 4" to give the ammo performance I'd want while carrying easily. The shorter of the two would help further reduce weight. Skeeter Skelton is rolling in his grave but give the barrel the classic Highway Patrolman taper. And please go back to the original fat ampersand for the S&W rollmark. Yes, that bit is pure vanity.

Sights conventional but with the outer corners of the rear gently rounded over to redice snagging. Baughman front on Highway Patrolman style sloped base rather than the squared one on Walsh's Refistered Magnum. Front sight would also have a 27-style insert but bright yellow with some flashlight-charging UV dye in the resin. Be more visible in the daylight than straight UV dye and, while dimmer in the dark than exclusive UV dye, still be more visible than without.

Hammer partially bobbed like some current rimfire snubs. Would discourage thumb-cocking but still allow one to easily unlock the cylinder stop to check for cylinder binding.

Round butt for greatest variety of stock selection. I'd personally opt for round-to-square conversion Pachmayr ploughhandles with exposed backstrap or butchered round-to-square conversion target stocks.

Revert back to text-based naming conventions. Call it the Bangor Special in honor of Walsh with coastal and bucolic implications.
    Make the 41 special L-frame someone posted above with similar specs and I'd absolutely lose my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    After having a recent revolver go back for a lengthy visit to S&W twice, with no improvement, my wishlist includes S&W unfucking themselves. Harsh, but true.

That said, in some parallel universe where QC still exists, I’d like a modern model 12, as others note. K frame, scandium alloy, .38+P, 3” RB, with modern sights. And no lock.

Like I say, parallel universe. The one where I’m also BFFs with Scarlett Johansson.

This is coming from a guy who owns a small pile of older J and K frames; it’s not like I don’t like the basic idea of an S&W wheelie.
    No real need for me to type much more, because this ^^^^ is basically the answer.

Of course the first and significant real want is the total elimination OR re-ngineering of the internal locking system.

The design presently used on Smith's guns is an inferior mechanism that is fragile and prone to failure. It needs to go away and if they want to replace it, then replace it with a design that inhibits the movement of the mainspring when activated.

There are a number of different ways to do it, but the easiest is to basically make a cam-screw that with one-two twists of the lock key, shoves the mainspring back and keeps it from moving (like how tightening the mainspring set screw all the way down increases the pressure it takes to work the gun considerably). It would be right there where the mainspring screw is on a normal Smith and to remove it entirely, just unscrew the lock base and remove the lock mechanism and base and install a set screw. For J-Frames, I believe a better option would be a cam lock on the bottom of the grip frame (move the serial number), that twists up and inhibits the coil spring from compressing. You could easily remove this and use a short set screw to fill the hole (if you cared). While lint/dirt could still get into the grip frame from the hole, one only needs to remove the grips and blow it out once in awhile vs. pull the side plate.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I have a couple of wishes, one of which I passed to Smith internally some time ago. I don't have much hope for any but here goes.

First, a reincarnated Model 12: modern alloy frame, 3" barrel (for full length ejection), .38 +P rated, factory bobbed hammer and DAO with standard sized RB grip frame. I think that would be a big hit, especially if they didn't do a lock/Hillary hole. Essentially, an NY-1 Model 12!

Second, reintroduce the NY-1 Model 64 3" and/or equivalent in Model 10.

I think many of us have found the usefulness/shootability of the 3" K RB revolvers and doing those two "wish" guns would be successful for Smith.
    This is the best post so far.

Others have already nailed one as far as I’m concerned - a 2.75” or 3” version of the 315 Night Guard.

I’d also love to see the 2” 15 brought back with Cylinder and Slide Extreme Duty sights and an RB.

Do away with the internal locks.

Have all models suitable for concealed carry pre-cut for moon clips before they leave the factory.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    It's a shame the Model 38 was discontinued too. A 38 Classic is a necessary companion to the 36 Classic. The gun of Nguyễn Ngọc Loan and the only gun I've ever had to draw in self-defense...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    A 696 with a thicker forcing cone.

A 3" Model 65 with a humpback hammer shield or a bobbed hammer or hammerless.

But first and foremost, {drawing a deep breath}

DO AWAY WITH THE M********G INTERNAL LOCK, ALREADY!!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

More mountain guns

The nightguard series re released but with 2.75" barrels

User Tag List