Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: The Smith & Wesson Revolver Wishlist

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post

PS: I'm aware of the 3" Carry Comp 19 and considered getting one. I just don't like it enough to pay close to $1K for it.

Im afraid thats more the new reality. Consider what new Rugers cost now, and the price of S&Ws doesnt seem as bad. Im still somewhat in shock at what used S&Ws go for, but comparing to new prices, they still seem a deal for a generally more desirable gun.

My frame of reference was in the days of $225-$250 model 19 Smiths, $300 27s, Colt SAAs for $400-$500. I bought traded and sold a fair number of them back then, it was a fun hobby and a decent way to make a little now and then if you ran into a deal somewhere. Theres a few classic guns that are still underappreciated, I wish i could afford to buy a couple before they go out of sight.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    My frame of reference was in the days of $225-$250 model 19 Smiths, $300 27s, Colt SAAs for $400-$500. I bought traded and sold a fair number of them back then, it was a fun hobby and a decent way to make a little now and then if you ran into a deal somewhere. Theres a few classic guns that are still underappreciated, I wish i could afford to buy a couple before they go out of sight.
    That was my frame of reference too, or maybe a bit earlier. My first SAA Colt (used) was $175. I was looking at a $135 27-2 when the department told me I had to have a 4" barrel and I bought a 28-2 for $97.50. That's probably why paying $1000 for a S&W with a lock that isn't what I really want turns me off.

Dave

Speaking of the S&W you want...how come S&W refuses to bring out a 3" RB 10/13 or 64/65? Those are some of the most sought after S&Ws out there but they insist we buy some other "bung hole" infected model.

They couldn't even manage a 3" barrel on the new 66. No they had to make it 2-3/4". A 66 RB 3", with the fixed sights as found on the Night Guard models (another missed opportunity in my mind) would have me thinking about buying a new S&W, something I am very dis-inclined to do.

Dave

PS: I'm aware of the 3" Carry Comp 19 and considered getting one. I just don't like it enough to pay close to $1K for it.
    Why I’m never giving up my second new gun purchase - a 64 3” RB ca. 1983.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

That was my frame of reference too, or maybe a bit earlier. My first SAA Colt (used) was $175. I was looking at a $135 27-2 when the department told me I had to have a 4" barrel and I bought a 28-2 for $97.50. That's probably why paying $1000 for a S&W with a lock that isn't what I really want turns me off.

Dave
    What did you pay for your first new car?

I remember buying my first S&W, a used 6.5" M624 44spl, for $600 in 2004. $600 in 2004 is $825 today according to an online inflation calculator. The fact that I can find 624's in the $1,000 range--even in this time of unprecedented demand--to me, reflects that while prices have risen, that rise likely is the result of an overall rise in prices driven by an erosion in the value of the dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Years ago (1990s?) I ran across a 3” J frame with adjustable sights and a 686-style underlugged barrel. I should figure out what model that was, because it was pretty cool.
    36-6. I’m here to vouch that it’s a great shooter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    What did you pay for your first new car?
    LOL - First "new" vehicle was a 1978 Ford F-150, ordered from the factory just the way I wanted it. Paid $5000 for it. By then the 1911 had become my duty gun, my off-duty gun, and the gun I shot in competition.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I remember buying my first S&W, a used 6.5" M624 44spl, for $600 in 2004. $600 in 2004 is $825 today according to an online inflation calculator. The fact that I can find 624's in the $1,000 range--even in this time of unprecedented demand--to me, reflects that while prices have risen, that rise likely is the result of an overall rise in prices driven by an erosion in the value of the dollar.
    I bought a 624 new in 1987 for $225.

Still kicking myself for letting it go.

My first new Smith was a nickel 25-5 I traded for in 1982. That one I don’t miss so much. I know it’s blasphemy, but I’m just not a .45 Colt fan.

Site Supporter
    6-shot 686 guns are now absent from S&W's website. If you search on 686 and see it and click through it takes you to the 7-shot version. Could just be a hitch with their new filter system being phased in. I hope so, at least...

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    6-shot 686 guns are now absent from S&W's website. If you search on 686 and see it and click through it takes you to the 7-shot version. Could just be a hitch with their new filter system being phased in. I hope so, at least...
    The 6 shot is still there. Or at least was last week. We were discussing this last week....
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ot-6%94-barrel

User Tag List