Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Smith & Wesson Revolver Wishlist

I just checked out the 986 snubby 9mm at the LGS. Pretty slick! Very tempting.

I would like a 6 shot .38 J-frame made of aluminum, 1 7/8" barrel with full underlug, with dovetailed front and rear sights and no internal lock.

And make it in 9mm too, if you can handle the pressure (maybe 9mm standard pressure only would work).
    Last edited by ScotchMan; 11-06-2020 at 03:23 PM.
    Join FPC

Site Supporter
    My list (No particular order):
    1. Bring back the .32 H&R/.327 FM J-Frames
    2. Bring back the Airlite PD J-Frames in .38 and .32 (342, 332, etc.)
    3. Either offer the Model 69 in .45 Colt or bring back the 25/625 in .45LC (Bonus points if it's a 3" like the Lew Horton SMU)
    4. It's been said before but lose the damn locks.
    5. Also, beating a dead horse again, decent sights on the J's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    1. Lose the hole, to keep its soul from leaking out.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Part of me always wanted a 296. I'm sure @Tamara could talk me out of it, unless she has one to sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    More mountain guns

The nightguard series re released but with 2.75" barrels

A 41 special in a 6 shot L frame

Of course get rid of the hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    A 696 with a thicker forcing cone.

A 3" Model 65 with a humpback hammer shield or a bobbed hammer or hammerless.

But first and foremost, {drawing a deep breath}

DO AWAY WITH THE M********G INTERNAL LOCK, ALREADY!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Stop putting locks in them

Mountain guns

Nightguard Series
    ^^ All of these.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Some more rambling thoughts:

1. I was thinking last night and wondering why S&W offers ZERO fixed sight, round butt 3" K-frames anymore. To me that seems like a highly desirable configuration for actual, concealed, anti-personnel fighting guns. Think about guns of the past: The FBI's 3" Model 13. The 3" NY-1 Model 64. Now, zilch...

They still offer what are (to me) the best of the K-frames, the .38s (10, 64, 67), but they are all exclusively in 4"

The new Magnum K-frames (19, 66) seemed like the start of a great series of guns, but they haven't really fleshed them out with any fixed sight options, 6" options, 2.75" (a great length compromise) blue guns, etc.

I thought maybe it was Canada limiting them to mostly 4" guns, but except for the new Magnum K-frames, the .38s are still sub 105mm

2. Like OlongJohnson said, spurless hammers, DOA are great options for the K guns. I would love something like a family of .38 fighting guns, along the lines of the old NY-1 series. 1 caliber, 1 finish, 2 sight choices, 2 action choices, 3 barrel lengths. Make them all round butts (which I think they do already now).

3. One thing that has stood out to me in this thread, is how little anyone here actually cares about any of the Perf. Center guns with the exception of the 640 PC.

4. Revolvers are already fairly "modular" when it comes to grips, but only in so far as you replace the whole grip. Something like magna grips plus a T-grip adapter is actually more modular. Something modern along those lines would be interesting. Maybe two different thickness side panels and a removeable filler adapter of a couple different sizes, with/without a finger groove. Magpul, get on this!
    All of this hits it for me too. Especially #1 & #2. 3" K-Frames have this weird grip on me. Something like a 3" NY-1 would get me to throw some (more) money at Smith. I love my 2.75" 66, I just need to finally get the lock delete plug and Apex hammer ordered for it. And then build a duplicate of that setup.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    This.

Ruger can do it. S&W already does it in other options. Why can’t we have 442/642 pin on front sights?
    I'll do you one better. Taurus has pin on front sights on the 856 models now. Also, for those that mentioned it, the 3" 856 models have full length ejector rods as well. (In the interest of full disclosure, I was working with Taurus when some of those 856 models were developed/released)
    Last edited by ragnar_d; 11-06-2020 at 04:48 PM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

A 45 Colt N Frame with a 3" barrel would be the bee's knees for me. I've got a safe queen in that configuration that was a custom conversion, and it's just worth too much to take it out of the safe and shoot. I'd love to work through some of my stash of 45 Colt...

First..Bring back the quality that we used too enjoy!

Then bring back the 547, the 3 1/2" Mdl.27 and a 5" Mdl.29 with all the love and care
    that the 60's and 70 vintage guns carried.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    A 45 Colt N Frame with a 3" barrel would be the bee's knees for me. I've got a safe queen in that configuration that was a custom conversion, and it's just worth too much to take it out of the safe and shoot. I'd love to work through some of my stash of 45 Colt...
    Every time a 3” Lew Horton 625 comes up on GunBroker my wallet tells me not to get any bright ideas.

One of these days I’m gonna ignore that little miser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I would love something like a family of .38 fighting guns, along the lines of the old NY-1 series. 1 caliber, 1 finish, 2 sight choices, 2 action choices, 3 barrel lengths. Make them all round butts (which I think they do already now).
    Not being up on current Taurus or Kimber guns, I was shocked to see that both of these companies are closer to my ideal concept than S&W currently.

Kimber is short in the area of not being truly optimized for .38+P or offering alloy frame options (neither of which is a deal breaker for me).

Taurus (with their 856 & Defender 856 series) has everything I asked for except fixed sight options, which you can have if you step up to the 66.

Of course they are both lacking in the areas of known reliability/durability/QC (at least to me), but who doesn't these days? And neither has much in the way of support gear (speedloaders, holsters, grips) availability.

I feel like Fox Mulder..."I want to believe!"

A couple did come to me:
    Although I distrust their Sc frames, a 319 would be intriguing.
    Bring back the M-66 F-comp.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I have a couple of wishes, one of which I passed to Smith internally some time ago. I don't have much hope for any but here goes.

First, a reincarnated Model 12: modern alloy frame, 3" barrel (for full length ejection), .38 +P rated, factory bobbed hammer and DAO with standard sized RB grip frame. I think that would be a big hit, especially if they didn't do a lock/Hillary hole. Essentially, an NY-1 Model 12!

Second, reintroduce the NY-1 Model 64 3" and/or equivalent in Model 10.

I think many of us have found the usefulness/shootability of the 3" K RB revolvers and doing those two "wish" guns would be successful for Smith.
    Plus 1000 likes for this. I would just add a pinned front sight and the C&S rear sight. An NY-1 with better fixed sights. My old eyes like the better sights!

Bring back the F comp model 66, the comp 640 & 642.

Add pinned front sights to the 642. Better yet a pinned front sight and dovetailed fixed rear sight J frame would be awesome.
    Last edited by Poconnor; 11-14-2020 at 09:49 AM.

Get rid of the stupid notion that a J frame needs to be 357. That will facilitate bringing back the 342s. Shorter cylinder more compact frame. And lighter.

A Dick special (six shot with a more compact STEEL cylinder scandium frame) bobbed hammer .38 special. (Compact-er M12?)

340 PD type sights on all of the compact guns. Or a system like the LCR that they're interchangeable on.

Charge $100 more per gun and QC the m************

User Tag List