Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Female concealed handgun informal poll

When my daughter carries, it’s a 9mm Shield IWB. She’s been to Ellifritz’s medical and ECQ classes, two Tac Cons, and a one day Handgun Combatives class. I’m not sure how often she actually carries though.

I'm the statistical outlier but...
    She carries either a G17 with 19 grip chop or a G19

AIWB in some Darkstar goodness.

More classes than I can easily count.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by _JD_; 11-03-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Site Supporter
    I can report on two friend's wives.

1. Taurus 85 in purse
    2. Taurus 85 in purse, then switched to Glock 42

No training at all. Some 7 yard square range. That's all their husbands do, also.

My wife currently carries a Shield 9mm. Purse(s) - all expensive.

Former deputy. Shoots with me in GSSF and local PCC.

My wife carries rarely, and when she does, it's a Walther PK380. Not the best gun choice, I know, and she admits it has some flaws, but it's what worked well in her hands when we were first buying guns, she's reluctant to spend more money going to something else, and I'm not about to push her - she makes her own decisions. Not much in the way of formal instruction beyond a "ladies night" at the range a few times which was hosted by a local female instructor.

I wish she would practice more, and I wish I could get her to be interested in doing USPSA with me, but that seems to be a non-starter for a few reasons I won't go into deeply here.

None of the above means I'd volunteer to have her shoot at me - she might not be as fast as I am, but I would expect to get hit, and while .380 isn't a "real" caliber, I imagine I'd notice it.

My wife doesn’t carry actively yet but has a gun and holster to do so when she wants - it may be something she decides to do when we have kids or if the world gets really crazy where we live. Gun is a Sig P238, holster is an AIWB from Legacy Firearms fitted with DCC clips since belts aren’t her thing. She’s taken a one day class locally, and split the time in that between the Sig and a full size 1911 for control similarity while managing the high round count. In addition to the Sig and that 1911 that’s “hers” she has a PPQ in a bedside safe.

Site Supporter
    My Fiancee is prior service enlisted, so she's had Army instruction on the M4/M16/M249 and M9. She grew up in North Florida so she's known her way around a pump shotgun and a bolt action for a long time. She took the the NM CHL class but no other formal instruction.

Her preferred pistol is her Beretta PX4 compact 9mm with a TLR7, which is usually full of 124gr gold dots. We got her a 9mm Beretta Nano for concealed carry but the Nano kind of sucks to shoot even though it has less of a size advantage over the PX4 than we'd hoped. She prefers the PX4 for shooting but usually carries the Nano with a purse-friendly holster in her purse when she feels like carrying. Normally she just lets me do the carrying.

She tried the 'flash bang' holster and while we had a good laugh at home as she tried it out, it didn't really fit her or her clothing style. Her waist:hip ratio is exceptional which I enjoy thoroughly, but it makes waistline holsters a problem, so her only real holster is a short drop leg for her PX4, but it doesn't accommodate the TLR7. We still need to decide how to properly solve that problem. If it came to a home defense sort of situation she's indicated she'll be grabbing her AR since she's more comfortable shooting long guns since that's been the majority of her training and experience. A Benelli or 1301 was on the proverbial list before prices and such went insane.

I've been thinking about a .22LR pistol like a Glock 44 or S&W M&P22 or Ruger MKIV tactical or similar, as to restart the handgun fundamentals for her and have a lot more fun doing it. But gun funds have been pushed in other directions due to current events.

Definitely have a women's handgun class in mind, for her as well as my sister and mom.

Before she even moved in with me, much less slipped up and said yes to marrying me, my wife was quick to adopt the ccw lifestyle.

Always carried AIWB, the list has gone:
    Kahr K9 in a cheap pleather clip on holster, quickly traded.
    S&W Shield in an Alessi Talon or Fricke AA depending what she was wearing.
    Glock 42 in a Keeper's Errand 'cause @SouthNarc said it worked well with gi pants and she was deep into BJJ at the time.

When she was pregnant with our son, her primary attire became (and remains) yoga pants, so she asked for something light and safe to carry sans belt or drawstring. I selected a S&W 351 in .22mag with a ClipDraw, which she declared perfect for her needs and yclept it Lil' Boy Blue. When I sold my last j-frame, she kept my DSG holster and Blue fits in it like a charm with the ClipDraw still installed, thanks to @Dagga Boy for that tip.

She used to alternate between Blue and the G42, but it's been all j-frame all the time for at least the last 2yrs.

She's been to one pistol class and has enthusiastically shot a ton with me and my local tribe; she's got a fighter's heart with a Mama Bear's instincts and can dump a G42 mag or 351 cylinder into a palm sized group on demand...I kinda pity the fool that would even.

Both our bedside safes house a G19w/X300.

Name:  351c.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  87.6 KB

Site Supporter
    My GF carries a Dan Wesson VBOB.

My mother either carries a VP9 or a 642. She also carried a 586 L-Comp in the past, but I don't know if she still carries it.

Both have been through a couple defensive handgun classes, and my mother just started competing in USPSA, last year.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    My wife favors several revolvers. J-Snub, K-Frames, to N-ish. She grew up shooting. Most of her instruction has been informal.

For anyone thinking that She, or our house, would be easy targets: I have seen a video, recorded before I knew her, in which she harvested a feral hog, with a head shot, that anchored it, and a second shot, to stop the involuntary leg movements. With an S&W Model 66, .357 Mag. She has an “M.D.” after her name, knows how to use an autopsy knife, and worked 21 years for the M.E., as a death scene investigator and forensic anthropologist. Messing with her could get a guy disappeared.
    I knew a woman who had a degree in forensic chemistry years before any of the CSI shows. Somebody asked her to give a short synopsis of her degree, she said it could be put to music in a song called "Fifty Ways to Kill Your Lover".
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List