Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1301 Red Dot Recommendations.

Site Supporter

Holosun 510C

I purchased a 1301 T gen 2 yesterday. I have a Holosun 507K X2 with the circle/dot reticle on a P365. I'm thinking that reticle might work well on the new 1301. Anyone have experience with the Holosun 510C https://www.holosun.com/index/produc...il/id/124.html on a 1301T? Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    AFAIK the T/2 H2 is 2 MOA only.

The original H1/T1 was 4 MOA.

Newer ones will be marked with the dot size (2MOA or 4 MOA). If no dot size marking it is an original 4 MOA model.
    I have a 4moa H2 on one of my M4 entry guns.

The Holosun with a circle dot is about perfect for a shotgun.
    You can use the circle to approximate a buckshot pattern. Which combined with the soft recoil of a 1301 is truly next generation.

Site Supporter

Thanks

I purchased a Holosun 507C X2. This model has the 32 MOA circle and 2 MOA dot. I've ordered an Aridus CROM with the Rob Haught mod. It's all coming together. PF has been very helpful in selecting and sourcing the pieces for this shotgun. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Same on one of my 870s. I actually rather like the old 4MOA dot on the gauge, compared to the more modern 2MOA dots.
    While it is rib mounted, I like the 6 moa on the Aimpoint S1 even more, on a shotgun.

If it is a house gun, an open emitter is probably fine. For a field shotgun, a closed emitter makes a lot of sense.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    The Holosun with a circle dot is about perfect for a shotgun.
    You can use the circle to approximate a buckshot pattern. Which combined with the soft recoil of a 1301 is truly next generation.
    I should clarify
    The Holosun models with the 64MOA circle reticle option approximate tight patterning buckshot out to around 25yds.
    The 32MOA circle options do not.

Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    I should clarify
    The Holosun models with the 64MOA circle reticle option approximate tight patterning buckshot out to around 25yds.
    The 32MOA circle options do not.
    I agree, but it depends on how your barrel and ammo patterns. The standard rule of thumb for a cylinder choke barrel wass 1" of spread per yard of travel. So at 25 yards, your pattern would be 25". So for many years, 25 yards was considered the max effective range for a 12ga because of the spread and likelihood of errant pellets endangering others behind your target. However, modified barrels like the Vang Comp will tighten up your pattern with standard ammo. Federal Premium Flight Control will also group much tighter than budget buckshot.

With respect to the reticle size, 65moa is a 16.25" circle at 25 yds. That is probably looser than the pattern for Flight Control ammo out of most barrels or standard ammo in a Vang Comp barrel. But it is too tight for a standard barrel, budget ammo. The 32moa is an 8" circle at 25yds and that is too tight for any load or barrel in my opinion. Individual examples may match that, but in general, no. So I agree, the 65moa is a more realistic and better choice in most cases if you are using it as a gauge of your shot pattern at any particular range.

Absolutely all of the above.
    Some barrels and buckshot and choke combos will do better then 16” at 25yds, many will do worse.
    I find my Gen 2 1301 with IC choke, and the factory backbored barrel will put them into 16” with many budget/conventional 00 buckshot loads. My other cylinder bore pump guns certainly don’t pattern as tight with regular buckshot loads.
    As usual pattern your gun. And sight it in
    Last edited by diananike; 04-17-2022 at 07:44 AM.

Double post

Most slugs will work with Modified choke tubes too. There are options beyond Cylinder and Improved Cylinder to change patterning.

I have a Holosun 508R on my 1301. I like it quite a bit and find the 32 MOA reticle to be a good compromise.

User Tag List