Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Good 22 Rifle

Looking for a Good 22 Rifle

I took my son’s Remington 511 to the range yesterday. Big mistake. Now I need a 22 of my own.

I’ll hunt with it, so it will be out in the rain. Stainless/synthetic would be nice but are not mandatory.

It will get a scope, probably a 4x Leupold.

I’d like for it to be accurate out of the box. The 511 made a couple of sub 1” groups at 50 yards with a couple of loads, which was nice, but I won’t compete with it.

Either bolt or semi would be fine.

Widely available magazines would be ideal so the various Rugers catch my eye. Not a fan of tube magazines.

Top end is around $500 for the rifle but I’m a sucker for the $189 pawnshop special.

Should I just get a 511 like his?

Other thoughts?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I sold several CZ 452s this year. Bought a T1x in .17 HMR. Will probably buy a T1x 16.5-in .22LR.

I still have a CZ 512 Carbine for semi-auto.

Can't recommend a Savage.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I prefer bolts or levers for hunting since I usually use Subsonic HPs.

If buying today I'd be looking at CZ(new 457 or used 455 or 452) or a Tikka T1x. Don't have any experience with the T1x but it seems to be well liked for good factory accuracy.

The new CZ457s are melonited so no worries on rust.

If I wanted a Ruger magazine I'd go 10/22 over their American Rimfire. The safety doesn't lock the bolt on the American Rimfire which drives me nuts in the woods.

I’m happy with my Ruger American Rimfire Compacts in 22lr and 22 mag. They have synthetic stocks, I don’t recall stainless being an option when I bought them. I don’t like the new Ruger mag release, l lost a mag from my 10/22 Takedown in the woods last year. I found some old style flush releases and changed them all.

That being said, I’ve been keeping my eye out for an older wood and blue rimfire bolt gun just because.

I'm really happy with my CZ 455 Varmint and have heard good things about the new CZ 457 and T1X.

One friend has a Savage that shoots really well and another one that isn't happy with the performance of his.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    It sounds like you're not averse to used rifles; if that 511 is the model I'm thinking of, it dates from the '50's or '60's most likely, and is in the same family as the 510, 512, 513T and 521T. The 521T was a great walking-around rifle, with a sporter weight barrel but a target stock. Set up for aperture sights and a lot of them by now have been D&T for scopes although I don't think they came with any scope mounting options. 513T was accurate but heavy; an intermediate-weight target rifle. The 5xx rifles from this time period used a steel magazine. The 37 and then the 40X were the heavy target rifles of the time.

Moving ahead a couple decades in Remingtons, you probably won't find a 541T for your price, but you will find the 581 and 581S rifles, which were the same action with a less expensive stock and barrel. People poo-poo the plastic mags for these rifles, but I've put untold numbers of bricks through mine and the original 5-rd mag is fine. These also are grooved for scope mounts unlike the earlier models. My first rifle was a 581S, made in 1990, and it was good enough to put me in 7th out of 23 competitors in the regional Junior Olympic 3-position smallbore trials when I was in 8th grade. It was just a hunting rifle with Williams rear and Lyman front sights. 6 of the 7 people ahead of me were using Anschutz 54-actioned position rifles and the guy in 6th place was my 3rd cousin using a $60 pawn shop Marlin. I guess all our poof-bird hunting had paid off.

I'm just partial to the Remingtons, but if I were in the market for a new rifle, I'd be looking at a Tikka T1x as mentioned above. The older Marlins were also good rifles (new ones may be too, but no personal experience)...homely IMO but accurate. If you luck out and find an old Savage 54 in your price range, you've actually bought an Anschutz 54 sporter and you've done very well.

I personally prefer a bolt rifle for hunting; I've never needed a semi for that and a bolt gun feels more sporting and proper in the woods to me. Just a personal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    The older Marlins were also good rifles (new ones may be too, but no personal experience)...homely IMO but accurate.
    I've got one of the wood-stock XT-22s. Very accurate with its favorite load(CCI standard velocity), less so with others I've tried. Looks and feels cheap but ok for under $200 new.

If I was buying now I'd be looking at CZ.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    It sounds like you're not averse to used rifles...SNIP
    Not in the least. I killed a boatload of small game with a 513 when I was a kid, so I'm inclined to find another one or a 511 and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I've got one of the wood-stock XT-22s. Very accurate with its favorite load(CCI standard velocity), less so with others I've tried. Looks and feels cheap but ok for under $200 new.

If I was buying now I'd be looking at CZ.
    How accurate is your XT-22 with that load at 50 yards?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

If a magazine tube is a deal breaker, it it hard to beat the 10/22 magazine. I have 10/22 (actually Tactical Solutions) rifles set up for small game (Leupold M8-4X on one rifle and M8-8X on the other) as well as an American Rimfire bolt action. I prefer the lighter 10/22-pattern rifles in the field, but they come in above the $500 limit. I added a Winchester 75 Sporting with a Lyman receiver sight just over the $500 limit. If you like older rifles, it is hard to beat the old Winchester and Remington bolt actions.

User Tag List