Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Current P220s

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Millbarge View Post
    The mags fed reliably, they just fell apart or the base plates flew off on a regular basis for a few years.

The guns themselves have been pretty bulletproof. Small issues here and there. Nothing widespread.
    This is the first I have heard of this. Not saying I doubt you...I don't, but I never heard of this. Were these the typical stainless mags with the thick plastic baseplate and marked p220-1?

FWIW, I tend to think the bad rep of recent sigs is a bit overstated. I don't doubt that quality control suffered in recent years, and there have been stupid marketing decisions, but I have had few problems and law enforcement agencies have seemed generally happy with their P229, P226 and P220 pistols, despite Sig's cost-cutting. I can also recall S&W revolver problems, S&W 3rd gen alloy frame pistols cracking, Glock Kabooms, Glock 22s that would not function with weapon lights, Glock ejection and extractor problems, Beretta sights coming loose and 96 frame fatigue, Walther P5 cracked frames, etc., etc. I can't really see much difference in my early sigs and my recent ones.

8 round mags. Stainless with plastic base. The issues have mostly gone away in the latest batch of mags. The first three batches all had the failures. They always functioned fine, just the base plates would fall off.

We tried a couple other brands and none performed reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    This is the first I have heard of this. Not saying I doubt you...I don't, but I never heard of this. Were these the typical stainless mags with the thick plastic baseplate and marked p220-1?

FWIW, I tend to think the bad rep of recent sigs is a bit overstated. I don't doubt that quality control suffered in recent years, and there have been stupid marketing decisions, but I have had few problems and law enforcement agencies have seemed generally happy with their P229, P226 and P220 pistols, despite Sig's cost-cutting. I can also recall S&W revolver problems, S&W 3rd gen alloy frame pistols cracking, Glock Kabooms, Glock 22s that would not function with weapon lights, Glock ejection and extractor problems, Beretta sights coming loose and 96 frame fatigue, Walther P5 cracked frames, etc., etc. I can't really see much difference in my early sigs and my recent ones.
    Law enforcement issues with classic series Sigs have been well documented on PF. I don’t want to rehash 226 and 229 issues. I’m only interested in recent 220 reliability.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Law enforcement issues with classic series Sigs have been well documented on PF. I don’t want to rehash 226 and 229 issues. I’m only interested in recent 220 reliability.
    Ok. I have not had any notable problems with the P220, including the one I bought new in about 94 or several I have added since, of various vintages. None are particularly high-round-count guns, so maybe that does not help.
    Last edited by jd950; 11-04-2020 at 08:05 AM.

I haven’t put a whole lot of rounds through it since I’ve had it brand new- maybe 200 but my P220 10mm Elite’s been absolutely wonderful. Other than the fact that it’s SAO, it’s one of my favorite pistols. Since it’s not DA/SA like all but one of my other pistols, the only time it gets carried is for woods carry against four-legged predators. It stays loaded with
    180g Sig V-crown hollow-points and out in the woods it’s loaded with 220g Underwood hard casts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List