Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Current P220s

Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    CT State Police have issued P220s for a few years. @austinmillbarge would have more info, I believe he said the pistols have run fine but the magazines were spotty.
    That would be a concern, since unlike the 1911 world, there aren't a lot of options for P220 mags.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Any idea what was wrong with the new P220's that had to be replaced?
    If memory serves it was primarily related to the takedown lever and a separate issue with the magazine release being out of spec.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    That would be a concern, since unlike the 1911 world, there aren't a lot of options for P220 mags.
    I've never had an issue with OEM 8 rounders.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Everything I've ever read about the OE P220-1 eight round mags is that they are uber-reliable. Kind of a nice counterpoint to the 1911 world - you know what mags to buy, period.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I would recommend an Elite or Legion for the checkered frontstrap and extended beavertail. The regular P220 kinda sucks without those.

We have 1200 or so P220’s. The mags were an issue since day one. Base plates falling off, because the lips on the bottom of the magazine body weren’t bent at the correct angle. We swapped out about 5000 mags at least three times attempting to eliminate the problem.

They seem to be working fine now, but there was a time when they failed legitimately all day long during training.

The mag body needs to be longer and come all the way to the base plate. The design is shit in my opinion. Easily fixed by making the mag body reach the base plate.

The mags fed reliably, they just fell apart or the base plates flew off on a regular basis for a few years.

The guns themselves have been pretty bulletproof. Small issues here and there. Nothing widespread.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Appropriate place to relate this tale.

I've been working with the USPc9 a bit. Trying to slick up the trigger and get the DA decent. Was kinda thinking I'd made progress. Took a P220 along to the range today just because .45. After I'd done my work with the USP, I loaded up a mag for the Sig. First shot in the X ring. Second shot in the X ring. Third shot in the X ring. The trigger is smooth, clean, no stacking, just right. Dang, I like this gun. And it's slim... It's a short external extractor milled slide. One of my better purchases, all things considered.

Think I'm giving up on USP DA. Will be LEM-Match before I burn any more precious powder in it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Appropriate place to relate this tale.

I've been working with the USPc9 a bit. Trying to slick up the trigger and get the DA decent. Was kinda thinking I'd made progress. Took a P220 along to the range today just because .45. After I'd done my work with the USP, I loaded up a mag for the Sig. First shot in the X ring. Second shot in the X ring. Third shot in the X ring. The trigger is smooth, clean, no stacking, just right. Dang, I like this gun. And it's slim... It's a short external extractor milled slide. One of my better purchases, all things considered.

Think I'm giving up on USP DA. Will be LEM-Match before I burn any more precious powder in it.
    I can relate to this. For me the P220 is a joy to shoot and silly accurate. As long as it doesn’t have a short reach trigger.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Millbarge View Post
    We have 1200 or so P220’s. The mags were an issue since day one. Base plates falling off, because the lips on the bottom of the magazine body weren’t bent at the correct angle. We swapped out about 5000 mags at least three times attempting to eliminate the problem.

They seem to be working fine now, but there was a time when they failed legitimately all day long during training.

The mag body needs to be longer and come all the way to the base plate. The design is shit in my opinion. Easily fixed by making the mag body reach the base plate.
    That’s a lot of Sigs. Are you issuing 8 round magazines? Did you test 7 or 10 round magazines? When were they failing? I assume after dropped on concrete but maybe not. None of this makes a bad magazine issue any better I’m just curious.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List