Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Current P220s

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I don't think there is a current Nitron.

It is, but note the little graphic above the photo that reads "discontinued".
    https://www.sigsauer.com/store/media.../discon567.jpg

I would lok for used or new and go with it. I know the Nightmare models just got released, so not sure how available they are.

https://youtu.be/K5Jv_2zZxlc

I actually had a German p220, mid 90s mfg, with a cardboard box and red velvety interior. I liked it, it was accurate, but I never loved it. Traded it for a 229 so I could run the issues .40 I had stocked up.

Always had an itch for the 227, but I guess that never really ran right or sold, because the seem to have dropped off the map.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Always had an itch for the 227, but I guess that never really ran right or sold, because the seem to have dropped off the map.
    Ran fine, at least with the 10 round mags, as far as I know. I just don't think the market was interested in a double stack .45. Our state police issue them still, as far as I know. I had one and it was fine, but I ended up trading it for an Elite P220. I just have so many mags, etc. for the P220 already that the 2 extra rounds didn't make the extra logistics required worth it to me. They fit P220/P226 holsters, but the magazines wouldn't fit mag pouches/holders for either.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I personally am major league turned off by the “Nightmare” appellation. It’s like putting Punisher emblems on your Glock’s backplate...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I personally am major league turned off by the “Nightmare” appellation. It’s like putting Punisher emblems on your Glock’s backplate...
    Exactly. It’s stupid. It sounds stupid, it is stupid.

A reliable P220 DAK would be a gun that I would carry. Those days are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Yeah.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/7320040262

Looks like for the 220s if you find one with a serial number around G-386-xxx or earlier you're into pre-Cohen territory. I haven't checked gunbroker lately but when I was looking for a pre-Cohen 226 that list came in handy. There were a surprising number of basically NIB examples, though I don't know how true that is now with covid/riot/election season in full swing.
    Thanks for that link with the serial number and date information. I picked up a near-mint condition internal extractor, stamped slide P220 earlier this year, "Made in Germany" but no German proofs so finished in the US, and I knew it was probably made somewhere close to the start of the Cohen era but I hadn't been able to pin down a date. Now I can rest assured it was made at least a year, maybe two, before Cohen took over. I'd still like to have those German proofs, but I got such a good deal on it and it's in such beautiful condition that I really can't complain.

This is an early 2000's non-proofed P220 I foolishly traded away (like all the other P220's I've owned).

I would look for one similar:

It's a stamped steel slide with an internal extractor. To my knowledge, most of this variety are good-to-go. They even made a few with the rail right around 2005/2006 before they switched to the stainless slide.

I shared it elsewhere on this forum, but a local department that issued and only allowed officers to carry P220's and P245's went to "upgrade" their mostly mid-1990's guns about ten years ago to new P220's. The new guns they received had to all be replaced, and then all replaced again, before they dumped SIG and went to Glocks. SIG's are no longer even authorized by them.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    This is an early 2000's non-proofed P220 I foolishly traded away (like all the other P220's I've owned).

I would look for one similar:

It's a stamped steel slide with an internal extractor. To my knowledge, most of this variety are good-to-go. They even made a few with the rail right around 2005/2006 before they switched to the stainless slide.

I shared it elsewhere on this forum, but a local department that issued and only allowed officers to carry P220's and P245's went to "upgrade" their mostly mid-1990's guns about ten years ago to new P220's. The new guns they received had to all be replaced, and then all replaced again, before they dumped SIG and went to Glocks. SIG's are no longer even authorized by them.
    I've traded away several 220's myself. All of them were German proof mark guns. I'm not that bright.

Any idea what was wrong with the new P220's that had to be replaced?

My local FFL friend has two 227's for sale and a special configuration 220 Carry. 227's just didn't have the same magic for me that the 220 had. I like the feel of the 220 carry he has plus it's a two-tone. I have zero experience with the carry model though. I hate to buy it not knowing if I'll like it or not.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

CT State Police have issued P220s for a few years. @austinmillbarge would have more info, I believe he said the pistols have run fine but the magazines were spotty.

User Tag List