Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Stay a good bit west of I-35. The humidity makes it suck east of I-35. As a New Mexican, you'd hate it.
    And avoid I-35 itself at all costs. Waco, Killeen, Georgetown, Austin (!!!), San Marcos, New Braunfels, San Antonio. We drove back down to Texas last weekend to visit our son in New Braunfels. That highway is absolute hell.

I was born in San Antonio on Texas Independence Day. Texas through and through. My birthday was a state holiday growing up. We would go to the Livestock Show & Rodeo at the Astrodome for my birthday when I was a kid. My wife and I moved to Oklahoma 10 years ago. If you had told me 30 years ago that I would move to Oklahoma and like it I would've told you that you were crazy. Now I can't stand going back when we visit relatives. Texas has definitely changed from when I was a kid. Oklahoma now is what Texas used to be to me.

I'll tell you how I really feel sometime, I promise.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation." - Ronald Reagan

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    they think it is "just like California."
    To be fair, I've found myself in corners of Austin where, looking around, the only way I can tell I'm not in Malibu is the strata in the rock are horizontal rather than at a 60 degree angle.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    To be fair, I've found myself in corners of Austin where, looking around, the only way I can tell I'm not in Malibu is the strata in the rock are horizontal rather than at a 60 degree angle.

You are talking about a city which was plagued by a serial bomber a couple years ago but just defunded their bomb squad because saving lives is somehow racist.

Real billboard on I-35

https://www.newsbreak.com/texas/aust...-police-budget

Name:  BFAE15BF-818D-430F-AE05-A78F3C73FE43.jpeg
Views: 285
Size:  33.3 KB
    Last edited by HCM; 11-02-2020 at 05:57 PM.

I'd echo that Oklahoma is the new, poorer Texas. My wife and I have discussed what to do when Kansas gets too blue/antiCatholic to be tolerable, and while I voted for the uninhabitables (Dakota, Wyoming) my warm-blooded Okie wife will move us back home to Tulsa, or more likely one of the nearby small towns.

Well that, and its 105 degrees.

And the chupacabras.

You are talking about a city which was plagued by a serial bomber a couple years ago but just defunded their bomb squad because saving lives is somehow racist.

Real billboard on I-35

https://www.newsbreak.com/texas/aust...-police-budget

Name:  BFAE15BF-818D-430F-AE05-A78F3C73FE43.jpeg
Views: 285
Size:  33.3 KB
    Also the city Tesla is building a major factory at. It also may be the absolute mecca for action shooting with 1-4 competitions every weekend.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Also the city Tesla is building a major factory at. It also may be the absolute mecca for action shooting with 1-4 competitions every weekend.
    How many of those are actually in the city of Austin ?

Austin just happens to be next to the very red Williamson County and Ft Hood.

How many of those are actually in the city of Austin ?

Austin just happens to be next to the very red Williamson County and Ft Hood.
    You missed the voting patterns in Williamson recently...

In the city probably one a month, because its in the city. I've not heard of shooting competitions in any city except maybe indoor (which is what I reference).
    Travis County has one or two a weekend. There were weekday steel challenge matches but those were cancelled due to Covid.

What's the verdict on the Dallas-Ft Worth area? I'm looking to escape Vermont in 2022 when my current national guard obligation is up and the Dallas area is on the shortlist since my job has a major location there. I know there are probably good and bad areas like with any city, but is the overall area decent? Cost of living? Also, what is the weather like? More humidity or dry heat? I'm originally from the San Diego area (more desert, less beaches part of the county) and my wife is from Florida so we don't really mind heat, but I can't stand humidity.

What about Utah? Seems like it may be the last red state if the country goes downhill and only modest snowfall.

The LDS seems to have a nice hold over the state which should keep it red.

User Tag List