Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ruger Revolver Wishlist

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    How about a pic-rail on a GP100 to add a light? S&W has had one in the R8 for quite some time.
    It would be super easy for any gunsmith with a vertical mill to attach a rail to the GP's full underlug.

Personally, I find the R8 and TRR8 to be about as desireable as eye-herpes. I would be quite interested in another run of 327PD, though, as long as I could do a full inspection before transferring.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

All of Ruger's DA revolvers have pinned or dovetailed front sights. There would be no reason at all to change that.

---

I'm seeing where folks are coming from on the LCR side of things. It honestly sounds like folks are thinking about LCRs much like I view Colts. Smaller, lighter, guns that are bigger than a J, but not 4" all steel big and heavy.

---

I've never shot a Security Six is it basically just a Ruger K-Frame?

I'm gonna get all sacrilegious and maybe have to give up my Revolver Club card when I say this:

I don't actually like K-Frames.

There I said it.

Maybe it's because the first revolver I ever bought with my own money was a Colt D-Frame, but it is the K-Frame, not the L-Frame or GP100 sized guns that make the least sense to me. They don't shoot better enough to offset all the extra weight and while they are more durable than the Colts they are significantly less durable than an L-Frame or GP100. But The Colts are A LOT lighter.

It sure seems like folks are on about is smaller than a GP100 and lighter.

In other words you guys want 3" Colt D-Frames (not "new" Cobras). I get that, it's the best carry revolver ever made. 23-ounces loaded, slightly smaller than a K/L/GP100 in physical dimensions. The new 3" King Cobras are 'close' but they're beefed up compared to a proper D-frame and chambered in .357.

My 3" 1967-vintage Colt DS (unshrouded) is hands down the best belt gun. Balance and weight make it easy to carry, big enough to shoot easier than a J-frame, small enough that it made me never understand the love of 3" K-Frames.

The 6-shot LCR "XL" 3" would give better durability and trigger than the old Colts, while having similar dimensions and weight.

Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm gonna get all sacrilegious and maybe have to give up my Revolver Club card when I say this:

I don't actually like K-Frames.

There I said it.
    I did what all the cool kids were talking about and picked up several police trade K-frames. Bought a nice JMCK AIWB for them. Tried it out, and it was just too darn bulky and heavy to carry that way. If I'm going to carry it OWB 3:00 like God and Trooper Jordan intended, it's going to be bomb proof. Like the GPMC, or the Lipsey's GP.

All my K frames are sold.

It sure seems like folks are on about is smaller than a GP100 and lighter.

In other words you guys want 3" Colt D-Frames (not "new" Cobras). I get that, it's the best carry revolver ever made. 23-ounces loaded, slightly smaller than a K/L/GP100 in physical dimensions. The new 3" King Cobras are 'close' but they're beefed up compared to a proper D-frame and chambered in .357.
    You pretty much described a Taurus 856 Defender, except we don't trust a Taurus. Despite the web site saying the steel ones are 35 ounces, they're really 24 ounces. Barely bigger than a J frame, .38 SPL only.

I don't trust Colt quality, based on widespread reports, and a third manual of arms for cylinder latches is so unnecessary.

I like the idea of the Kimber, but I haven't been impressed with the ones I've dry-fired or the visible fit and finish. And the slabbiness of them just makes me think either their engineers couldn't draw something attractive in CAD, or their programmers couldn't program it, or they don't have the machines and tooling to make it. Or maybe they just can't tell that it's ugly. Whatever the cause, the way they look talks to me about serious lack of engineering/manufacturing competence.

An SP101 made just big enough to be a six-shooter of .38 Specials would be most excellent. The cylinder latch working like the GP would be a bonus.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    You pretty much described a Taurus 856 Defender, except we don't trust a Taurus. Despite the web site saying the steel ones are 35 ounces, they're really 24 ounces. Barely bigger than a J frame, .38 SPL only.
    When I reached the bottom of this thread, I was going to type "I want Ruger to make a 3" 856 Taurus Defender that isn't a Taurus," but you beat me to it.

3", six shots, peg grip frame, some kind of sight arrangement other than a trough on the backstop, I'd prefer .357 but I'd take .38 Special.

I'd buy 2.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

So basically just get rid of the Redhawk and replace it with the Super GP100.

If a 5-shot .44 is possible a 5-shot .45 is possible.

All the Blackhawks are basically identical. The only difference between the Carryhawk and a normal Blackhawk is the bird's head grip and v-shaped rear sight which is available easily.
    Only if they do it without the gills.

Is it? I've heard the .44 cases barely fit so I was concerned that there might not be enough room for a moon clip for ACP rounds and that there would be rim interference with .45 Colt.

Flat tops are slightly smaller and lighter than the regular frame.

That's called a flat top. I have one.
    Flat top and Single Six aren't the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but some of the stuff that’s being requested seems like it exists in Redhawk land, but people don’t seem to like the Redhawk. Why?
    The Redhawk is an old design and uses a grip frame like a S&W. The Super Redhawk has an improved lockwork and a grip stud, but it's ugly. It's like comparing an old truck to a new truck. Old trucks look cooler but lack fuel injection and anti-lock brakes and stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

3 inch LCR in 22lr with 1/2x28 threaded barrel.

I’d like an LCP 2 in 22lr with threaded barrel also, if we’re just throwing stuff out there.

The cylinder gap makes revolvers not suppress well. Except for one that some country's special forces made where the exterior housing fully enclosed the cylinder. That was apparently extra quiet, because no slide cycling and lots of volume.
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar

I've also requested that. Also doing it with a 4.2-inch barrel for @Maple Syrup Actual and friends.
    You know, I was starting to write that your efforts are appreciated but then I thought... why am I using this weird disembodied passive voice, just to extract myself from the equation?

I, personally, appreciate that you would make that effort. Thank you. Ruger's 4.2 revolvers were a total game changer for Canadians. Any encouragement they get to produce more is awesome for us.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

The cylinder gap makes revolvers not suppress well. Except for one that some country's special forces made where the exterior housing fully enclosed the cylinder. That was apparently extra quiet, because no slide cycling and lots of volume.
    I concur, but it's a 22lr for pure fun, because everything is cooler with a can on it. Doesn't have to be perfect or giggle quiet, just funsies.

All my K frames are sold.
    #MeToo (am I doing that right?)

I don't trust Colt quality, based on widespread reports, and a third manual of arms for cylinder latches is so unnecessary.

I like the idea of the Kimber, but I haven't been impressed with the ones I've dry-fired or the visible fit and finish. And the slabbiness of them just makes me think either their engineers couldn't draw something attractive in CAD, or their programmers couldn't program it, or they don't have the machines and tooling to make it. Or maybe they just can't tell that it's ugly. Whatever the cause, the way they look talks to me about serious lack of engineering/manufacturing competence.

An SP101 made just big enough to be a six-shooter of .38 Specials would be most excellent. The cylinder latch working like the GP would be a bonus.
    Yea, so the two guys here on P-F, that I know for sure have had both a K6 and a new Cobra - @fatdog and @Totem Polar both chimed in that they want...3" 6-shot LCRs in .38SPL that weigh <25 ounces.

So that probably says something, eh?

And I guess I never thought about a 6-shot 3" LCR in .38, because I already have that gun, it's just called a Colt Detective Special....and was made nearly 20-years before I was born. But now that I think about it, a 6-shot 3" LCR 'XL' that basically was my modern-day equivalent would be awesome.

Thread Drift RE: Kimber K6 -

I keep thinking of getting a K6 and having a goodly portion of the lug milled away to cut some weight off of it. For that matter, if folks haven't had hands on a taper-barrel GP100 they're missing out. I really think Ruger should ditch the full-lug barrel on the WC GP100 and go with the old 3" taper barrel they used to offer. It cuts ounces off the front of the gun. My 4" taper barrel GP100 is exactly 1 ounce heavier than a 4" heavy barrel M64.

User Tag List