Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ruger Revolver Wishlist

I’m one of the several here previously agitating for a scaled up 6-shot LCR. Give that lock work a bit more room to move, and look for a reliable, DAO, 3” .38 that comes in at 21oz or so, with an 8.5 lb trigger. That’s also the answer to the “modern combat revolver” thread—in terms of durability—if they’ll make it.

Honestly, that’s such low hanging fruit, I’m left wondering why it’s not already a line extension. Maybe if Biden wins and Harris gets what she wants.

Or, maybe if we all pull together and convince them to do the 3” 6-shooter, with a P-F orange grip, because we rock.

Oh, and they should also do the birdshead single six/seven as a dedicated 6-shot 9mm, like they already do with the bigger .45 acp-only Vaq that a number of us here can vouch for. I beat the Ruger rep up pretty hard on both those points when he came to my area’s largest LGS a couple of summers ago.

As an aside, he did tell me back then that Ruger was looking to get into lever actions in a big way.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 11-01-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Okay we're up to 20 responses so far. Here is what I have:

1) 3" LCR in .327 Mag <-By far the lowest hanging of the fruit.

2) Get rid of the Redhawk entirely and replace it so the 'Super GP100' becomes the 'New Redhawk'. Comes in 8-shot .357/9mm flavors, 6-shot .44 and .45 Flavors, 12-shot .22? MUST come standard with the ability to mount an optic in some way (robust rear sight mount). Fixed sight 3" versions for carry would be cool, but everything needs to in 4" and 6" flavors. <-The next lowest hanging of the fruit since the Super GP100 already exists.

3) Scaled up LCR (LCRxL) that would in effect replace the SP101 and GP100 lines. This would come in 6-shot .38/.357/9mm, 5-shot .44/.45, 7-shot .327s, and 10-shot .22? Fixed sights, interchangeable front sight for 2" and 3" variants all of them DAO, 4" variants with adjustable sights and hammer spur. Optics ready adjustable sight version = LCRxL 'Match Champion'

4) 5 or 6-shot Single-Six in .38 and/or 9mm.

___

No major changes to the Super Blackhawk or Super Redhawk lines.

Threads like this pop up in all the gear forums I visit and it's always the same result... Not even a very small group of like-minded individuals can agree on what would be a perfect new model.
    That's not me poo-pooing the idea of these threads because it's always fun to kick around new ideas and combinations, but it illustrates why manufacturers rarely build these new models... They usually won't risk the capital to create something that might not sell by the boat load.

I don’t see the LCRxL “replacing” the GP line—two different tools. The whole point of the 6-shot LCR DAO 3” is to have a shootable “standard capacity” carry revolver par excellence (along the lines of the old FBI issue 13/65 or the 3” NY-1), with model 12-ish feather weight, a creamy custom-ish trigger, and real sight options.

The whole point of the GP is to have a fistful of real steel that can shoot anything from match wadcutter .38 up to buffalo bore 180 grain outdoorsman—the latter being a thing that I wouldn’t want to do in an LCR, even a big one. JMO.

This is, incidentally, why my version of the wish is a .38. Keep the weight down and take advantage of the shootability. A .357 chambering would just add weight. If an LCRxL has to come in at, say, 23-24oz, what’s the point in having one?

If they made a “smedium” frame 3” 6-shot LCR in .38 you’d hear wind rushing off the edges of my debit card as I put a down payment at the LGS.

To be fair, a modern 5-shot “bulldog” in .44 special is sort of retarded... but there’d be turbulence coming off the ol’ visa numbers there as well, because that’s exactly my kind of retarded.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 11-01-2020 at 01:40 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    3) Super GP100 in .45 ACP
    I already petitioned for it in .44 Magnum - without the gills. It's not a Miura, stop trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The "medium frame" LCR would be, ideally, a whole new line of guns. 38, 357, 327, 44, etc. Pretty much a modern version (or even replacement of) much of the GP100 line.
    Uhhh...no. The two-piece poly/metal frame will never have the durability of the GP. Don't get rid of that solidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Replace the Redhawk with a revolver that looks like a Redhawk but has the grip stud and lockwork like a Super Redhawk/GP100. Offer it in all the same chamberings as the current Redhawk.
    Yes. SRH is a better gun than a RH, but it's too ugly to carry open and too big to carry concealed. Maybe it's time to just let the RH be replaced by the SGP, as long as they commit to making it not ugly. As long as the SRH stays around for the big boomers, I think the objection of needing something to live with them will be answered.

Single Six (single five?) .357 mag.
    That's called a flat top. I have one.

3" 6-shot .327 LCR (I don't know why this isn't already an option)
    Yeah, Ruger's dumb for not doing that. I'd probably have one if it was available with an enclosed hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    6-shot SP101 in .38/.357
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    2 3/4” 6 shot SP101 in 38sp - i.e. an updated Speed Six. Keep it as sleek an as slim lined as possible to show it is different and smaller than a GP100.
    I've also requested that. Also doing it with a 4.2-inch barrel for @Maple Syrup Actual and friends. Because Taurus 856 Defender should not go unanswered. I'm seriously drawn to a 4-inch .32 caliber SP101 because of size, weight and six shots. Less interested in five shots. I keep not going down that road because of the PITA/expense factor of a new cartridge and caliber. Make it just slightly larger to have six .38 caliber holes, and I'd be all over it.

I also like the lower-profile drift-adjustable sights they used to make better than the adjustable on a carry gun. Get it dialed in for one load and just shoot it, no changing anything. The adaptability and usability of an adjustable with the low profile and non-snagginess of fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I'd like to have Ruger revolvers with a S&W K-Frame trigger feel.
    While they're at it, revise the lockwork of the new all-steel SP102 to be like the LCR. If you watch the videos of how it works, it appears that the "magic" is simply designing the curvatures so the force is always being applied perpendicular to the contact, and there is never any sine/cosine effect amplifying the contact force. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to redesign the GP and SP to work that way, other than they'd now have totally incompatible parts in the world that work in the same gun.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    3) Scaled up LCR (LCRxL) that would in effect replace the SP101 and GP100 lines. This would come in 6-shot .38/.357/9mm, 5-shot .44/.45, 7-shot .327s, and 10-shot .22? Fixed sights, interchangeable front sight for 2" and 3" variants all of them DAO, 4" variants with adjustable sights and hammer spur. Optics ready adjustable sight version = LCRxL 'Match Champion'
    See Totem Polar's comments below. Nothing needs to be "replaced."

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Threads like this pop up in all the gear forums I visit and it's always the same result... Not even a very small group of like-minded individuals can agree on what would be a perfect new model.
    That's not me poo-pooing the idea of these threads because it's always fun to kick around new ideas and combinations, but it illustrates why manufacturers rarely build these new models... They usually won't risk the capital to create something that might not sell by the boat load.
    This is why Lipsey's is so awesome. They put their money where their mouth is and get stuff to happen. Similar with Accusport, etc.

I've actually mused that if I won the lottery, I might start a hobby business of a microdistributorship. Yeah, deal with the stream of G19s or whatever if that helped keep the lights on, but basically specialize in getting manufacturers to build good ideas that they wouldn't do on their own. Basically, break even, get some people paid, and fill my safe with three of whatever cool thing I could think of that I was sure enough other people would want. But it would probably be enough less hassle to just buy a bunch of base guns and send some gunsmiths a list to make that the smarter path.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I don’t see the LCRxL “replacing” the GP line—two different tools. The whole point of the 6-shot LCR DAO 3” is to have a shootable “standard capacity” carry revolver par excellence (along the lines of the old FBI issue 13/65 or the 3” NY-1), with model 12-ish feather weight, a creamy custom-ish trigger, and real sight options. The whole point of the GP is to have a fistful of real steel that can shoot anything from match wadcutter .38 up to buffalo bore 180 grain outdoorsman—the latter being a thing that I wouldn’t want to do in an LCR, even a big one. JMO.
    This man gets it. I would just add that the same applies to the SP101. Right now, it's the smaller, lighter version of the same philosophy. I'd shoot ammo in it and carry it for purposes that I would not do with an LCR variant.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-01-2020 at 01:57 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

@OlongJohnson, the Miura reference appropriately applied to wheelguns wins the ‘net for this morning.

ETA: As I look over the list of handguns that I’ve actually bought brand new in the last 5 years or so, I can’t think of one that wasn’t a Lipseys spec’d model. Maybe the G43 of a few years back... I that might have been Talo, and all it was was sights.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    See Totem Polar's comments below. Nothing needs to be "replaced."

This is why Lipsey's is so awesome. They put their money where their mouth is and get stuff to happen. Similar with Accusport, etc.

This man gets it. I would just add that the same applies to the SP101. Right now, it's the smaller, lighter version of the same philosophy. I'd shoot ammo in it and carry it for purposes that I would not do with an LCR variant.

Sorry. I should have been more precise. I also don't see the GP100 being replaced by the LCRx or whatever. Just taking a larger spot in Ruger's overall revolver line.

I do not think it should replace the GP100 for all the reasons listed above, however that 6 shot 3” barreled LCR idea would be about ideal for me. I’d prefer DAO with a fixed rear sight that isn’t a gutter type (Novak would be fine). Leave the front sight alone as there are options already out there for LCR fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Honestly, that’s such low hanging fruit, I’m left wondering why it’s not already a line extension. Maybe if Biden wins and Harris gets what she wants.
    If semiautomatics go, they’ll go after everything. That would send gun manufacturers scrambling to build double barrel .410 shotguns.

User Tag List