Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ruger Revolver Wishlist

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    No way Ruger will make a firearm for a non-SAAMI cartridge.

With that said, Ruger needs to work with the other SAAMI members to bring a +P pressure rating to the old .44 Special. It wouldn't need a huge boost. I'm not looking for a full-on Magnum load. Just something that will push a 200gr bullet at 950-1000 fps from a 4" barrel. There are plenty of hand loads out there that will do this but none are embraced by major ammo companies.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Yes. For most problems, .44 Extra Special would be a much better solution than .44 Magnum.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    And how much money have they made off of .375 and .416 Ruger?
    No idea but they offer rifles in both so I assume the sales are there.

Technically a .41 is probably easier, but still not a big money maker. A hot .44 Special will do anything a .41 Special would.
    A more realistic product would be a .41 Mag GP100. But that wouldn't likely be something Ruger would make on their own. It would probably have to be a distributor exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    A hot .44 Special will do anything a .41 Special would.
    Except hold six in a GP/L frame size gun

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Except hold six in a GP/L frame size gun
    Will a GP hold 6 41 Mags?

I think it was Reeder made some custom 41 GPs that were six shot. But I wonder how such a critter would hold up over the long haul.

Last edited by Tokarev; 11-03-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Will a GP hold 6?

I think it was Reeder made some custom 41 GPs that were six shot. But I wonder how such a critter would hold up over the long haul.

I believe Clements does/did them. My GP100 holds six 10mm and puts a 200Gr WFN or Gold Dot out of its 3” barrel at 1,150fps. The brass will fall out of the chambers after firing. I’d guess that the standard load for a SAAMI .41 Spl could do 210gr @ 1,200 with equal or less pressure.

Edit to keep up,

The problem with .41 Magnum is guys gotta load it to prove it’s the equal to .44 Magnum. Kind of cartridge little man syndrome. The GP100 conversions to magnum I’ve seen were five shot.
    Last edited by Rick R; 11-03-2020 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Editing to keep up

Will a GP hold 6 41 Mags?

It holds 6 10mm rounds just fine in a moonclip, what are the rim dimensions of 41 Special?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I believe Clements does/did them. My GP100 holds six 10mm and puts a 200Gr WFN or Gold Dot out of its 3” barrel at 1,150fps. The brass will fall out of the chambers after firing. I’d guess that the standard load for a SAAMI .41 Spl could do 210gr @ 1,200 with equal or less pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    It holds 6 10mm rounds just fine in a moonclip, what are the rim dimensions of 41 Special?
    Taken from Wikipedia, the SAAMI pressure limit for 41 Mag is 36,000 PSI. 10mm is 37,500.

Rim diameter of the 10 is .425" and .492" for the .41.

Not everything needs a magnum to kill it. While a good 210gr @ 1,200fps load would take deer or black bear or even shoot a larger animal in self defense, the mid-range load with a lead or jhp bullet at 950-1000fps would be your shoot a couple boxes at the range, shoot a racoon in the hen house, shoot a mugger in a dark alley load. The 170gr cast @ 1,050fps load I shoot in my 10mm is pleasant but still 100% in my SR1911 with a 24# recoil spring load.

They could call it the .41 Ruger Special. I’d probably buy one if it was a six shooter just to play with down the road.

Much of what I see, in this thread, reminds me of discussions I saw in gun magazines, and some books, decades ago. (Pre-internet.) Folks wanted a warmer .41 than Long Colt, and yet not as powerful as .41 Magnum. Some dubbed it .41 Special, and others advocated for the term “.41 Police.”

One prominent author wrote that he believed that a .41 Magnum GP100 would be become a reality, and indicated that he would stand in line, in the rain, to get one, or words to that effect.

I remember a Remington factory load, for the .44 Mag, with ballistics that could be called .44 “extra-Special.” The bullets were flat-point, but with a rounded shoulder. A local gun store sold this load, and I used it for some of my training. IIRC, I loaded it into my duty speed-loaders, as my favored JHPs were so rare and expensive. (I carried a Model 629 while on duty, for a year, March 1984 to March 1985.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 11-03-2020 at 11:30 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List