Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ruger Revolver Wishlist

My K6 left about a year ago to another PF member. I wanted it to be a .357 but it was too abusive and at the time the grip options did not provide anything that I could tolerate shooting full power loads. It lacked appeal to me as a 25oz .38 launcher.

I formerly owned an airweight D frame 3" Cobra, it was one of my favorite guns. I even shot it all the way through ECQC with it once, but its collectability and known fragility of that tribe haunted me so I sold it to a collector and tripled what I had in it back when the snake craze was at its peak.

However if somebody I trust (not Taurus) comes out with a similar design, I will be on it fast. My fantasy revolver remains a 3" S&W M12-4 with a scandium frame. But those pukes are too stupid to understand. I have to remind myself that the decisions about what guns are made are usually made by people who personally don't EDC one.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Yea, so the two guys here on P-F, that I know for sure have had both a K6 and a new Cobra - @fatdog and @Totem Polar both chimed in that they want...3" 6-shot LCRs in .38SPL that weigh <25 ounces.

So that probably says something, eh?

And I guess I never thought about a 6-shot 3" LCR in .38, because I already have that gun, it's just called a Colt Detective Special....and was made nearly 20-years before I was born. But now that I think about it, a 6-shot 3" LCR 'XL' that basically was my modern-day equivalent would be awesome.
    Pretty much.

I still think about the 3” K6S I had. In all, it was a cool revolver. I sort of want the 4” ‘combat’ version.

As to the Cobras, I don’t know why they didn’t stick. I mean, Judas H Priest on a Vespa, I had the original, the 3” .357 King, AND the Night Cobra. They all worked, with great triggers, but for some reason, I shot better with both the 3” steel J-frames and the K frames that I ended up with. Might sound weird, but when I reeled in the targets during direct comparisons, the results spoke for themselves.

At any rate, back to the LCR. My .38 only original recipe LCR is a great gun. The idea of the same thing scaled up to D-frame size with 6 rounds and a 3” tube really gets my tail wagging.

L
    I've never shot a Security Six is it basically just a Ruger K-Frame?

I'm gonna get all sacrilegious and maybe have to give up my Revolver Club card when I say this:

I don't actually like K-Frames.

There I said it
    The Security/Speed Six was K frame sized but more durable and user friendly. You could actually get a decent trigger with light polishing.

I still want a six shot 4 5/8” plow handle single action Wiley Clapp with Novak rear sight, button replaceable front sight in .45 Colt with a Carpenter steel cylinder with proper size throats. Use that finish they use on the big Super Redhawk and call it a “Gray Hawk”. Basically something packable that will take Linebaugh level .45 Colt loads.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Replace the Redhawk with a revolver that looks like a Redhawk but has the grip stud and lockwork like a Super Redhawk/GP100. Offer it in all the same chamberings as the current Redhawk.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Yes. SRH is a better gun than a RH, but it's too ugly to carry open and too big to carry concealed. Maybe it's time to just let the RH be replaced by the SGP, as long as they commit to making it not ugly
    Strongly concur. This'll be the third time I've posted in in a month (and twice today) but the SRH is better in every way except aesthetics.

I've never shot a Security Six is it basically just a Ruger K-Frame?

It's k-framed sized, as in it fits the same holsters but the execution is radically different. The -six line up has no side plate and is just beefier then a k-frame. Not heavier, mind you. The trigger, particularly the DA trigger, is nowhere near as nice as the S&W offering. It's best described as a single action revolver that you can shoot double action if you need to.

I sold mine and standardized on the GP-100 and have never missed it. If I want to carry a k-frame, I'll carry a k-frame.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Pretty much.

I still think about the 3” K6S I had. In all, it was a cool revolver. I sort of want the 4” ‘combat’ version.
    I gotta say, just saw two things.

1) That Hogue has 3-finger length Bantams for the K6.
    2) That there is a 3" TLE version with night sights and an unloaded weight of 23oz. https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/669278340050

And that TLE is a much better looking gun (I guess the black makes the blocky less blocky).

Still would be better with the lug milled away into a nice rounded shape. May be able to drop 2-3 ounces off of it. In that case a K6S 3" DAO, milled then DLC coated, internals NP3'ed, fitted with night sights?

___

OR Ruger could build us a 3" LCR 'XL' and a Super GP100 in .45 ACP and I can abandon these silly thoughts.

I wish more people here had high round count m66-8s.

The concern over k frame ruggedness is well founded but Im not sure its currently a huge concern.

I mean 10k plus magnums and close to that with warm specials and my 66 is shooting better than ever after a year and a half.

If ruger made a 6 shot 3" polymer .357 Id be tempted for a back up. Their 3" gp100s are very nice as well. If ai hadn't invested myself in k frame gear i may have went that way

The kimber 3" tle is pretty nice but Im just not sure I'd want to shoot 200rds of magnums through it.

I can do that with the 66.

I would personally like to see more 3” options on the market, especially from Ruger. I have a 3” Kimber K6 that I like (but I don’t have a high round count with it) but have one major complaint - the short ejection rod. I would definitely be on board for a 3” .327, but would also like to see an upsized LCR in other chamberings. My thoughts are pretty much in line with what others have posted.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Add me to the list of people who would be all over a scaled up LCR. 3” barrel, 6 round cylinder, real sights. I can’t decide between the current internal hammer or a bobbed DAO external hammer. Probably the bobbed external one but I’d buy the internal one if that’s what they produced.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I'd like to have Ruger revolvers with a Korth trigger feel.
    Fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Judas H Priest on a Vespa
    You rang?

In all seriousness, I was super hyped to do a long term endurance test on the K6s earlier this year, but COVID had other ideas.

User Tag List