Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "When adrenaline kicks in I'll be able to do it"

"When adrenaline kicks in I'll be able to do it"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I hope you would get back with him
    Thanks Dan. Will do. I truly want to help this guy.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

"When adrenaline kicks in I'll be able to do it"

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Take him to a BJJ class and let him roll with - well, anyone.

He’ll quickly see adrenaline means fuck all
    Interestingly his buddy is a BJJ Blackbelt at my gym. They are in Mankind together.
    https://mankindproject.org

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I had a frustrating conversation with my neighbor. He's concerned about Antifa violence, and earlier he had asked me to help him with his Browning High Power. He's in his 70's and is in good shape, but he can't rack the slide anymore, and thinks it's because of lacking hand strength. Anyway, when I saw him just now, I asked if he wanted me to take a look at the gun to make sure it was working properly.

Here's what he said: "If I really need to use the gun, the adrenaline wil kick in and I'll be able to do it." He wasn't interested in discussing it further.

This isn't the first time I've heard this. People like to imagine that adrenaline will turn them into superheros or Navy SEALs.
    It's not about adrenaline at all. It's about pride & embarrassment. Losing the ability to do things we took for granted in our younger years is hard to deal with and harder to admit. "Get away from me, ya damn whippersnapper! I can do it myself!"
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    It's not about adrenaline at all. It's about pride & embarrassment. Losing the ability to do things we took for granted in our younger years is hard to deal with and harder to admit. "Get away from me, ya damn whippersnapper! I can do it myself!"
    Yup. There are tasks I do now that get me thinking “In ten years I may not be able to do this any more.” Or even if I can, I probably shouldn’t. I don’t feel old but age comes to all of us.

I appreciate the folks here who share information about adapting as they grow older.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Yup. There are tasks I do now that get me thinking “In ten years I may not be able to do this any more.” Or even if I can, I probably shouldn’t. I don’t feel old but age comes to all of us.

I appreciate the folks here who share information about adapting as they grow older.
    At 68 I've had to admit to myself that I'm not as strong as I used to be...and my cardio's not as good either. I continue to work out, (as I always have since my 20's), but there's no way to (truly) cheat the game. Just prolong it for as many innings as possible.

My shooting skill, (such as it is), has held up well thus far, thankfully.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    While this is women oriented - it is a good discussion of racking techniques for those having problems:

https://www.corneredcat.com/article/...ack-the-slide/

There are also the SW EZ line. I've seen decent LGS personnel take folks through using them.

As far as adrenaline, there is some validity to increased strength as under normal circumstances, you tend to limit the number of muscle fibers you recruit for max effort but under some horror show, the number dramatically increases and the damage later does also - so says a text I have somewhere. Wouldn't count on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    He's in his 70's and is in good shape, but he can't rack the slide anymore, and thinks it's because of lacking hand strength.
    I think, we all here know that technique is very important.

Lena Miculek explains the technique for racking the slide very well:

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    That is a good explanation. I don't think I'm ever going to inspect that BHP or help him with his slide racking. The guy told me he bought a crossbow pistol that should take care of any trouble, and he knows where to find me if things get really bad.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, I believe in being a good neighbor, but I'd tell him to call the cops first. I hate crossbow pistols - you always see them in movies/TV. They shoot a guy and the bolt goes in two inches and he drops dead.

As a diversion, I don't like people (outside of family) who find out I've trained and then assume I will be their go to in a critical incident. They don't train and think it is silly but good that I did.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    An older gentleman I work with has mentioned thinking about getting a handgun off and on for years. Finally did. A GP MC. I couldn't be happier for his choice. He specifically mentioned hand strength and racking the slide as his reason for choosing a revolver.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List