Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "When adrenaline kicks in I'll be able to do it"

"When adrenaline kicks in I'll be able to do it"

I had a frustrating conversation with my neighbor. He's concerned about Antifa violence, and earlier he had asked me to help him with his Browning High Power. He's in his 70's and is in good shape, but he can't rack the slide anymore, and thinks it's because of lacking hand strength. Anyway, when I saw him just now, I asked if he wanted me to take a look at the gun to make sure it was working properly.

Here's what he said: "If I really need to use the gun, the adrenaline wil kick in and I'll be able to do it." He wasn't interested in discussing it further.

This isn't the first time I've heard this. People like to imagine that adrenaline will turn them into superheros or Navy SEALs.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Student
    Wait. If he asked you for help with his pistol and it sounds like he rebuffed your offer to inspect it, what exactly was he asking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Wait. If he asked you for help with his pistol and it sounds like he rebuffed your offer to inspect it, what exactly was he asking for?
    confirmation/affirmation of his decision?

James Yeager has his own issues - but his statement on this is excellent

“No, you will not rise to the situation - not in expertise nor ability. What you will do is default to the whatever level of training or skill that you have mastered”.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    James Yeager has his own issues - but his statement on this is excellent

“No, you will not rise to the situation - not in expertise nor ability. What you will do is default to the whatever level of training or skill that you have mastered”.
    That's a longstanding paraphrase of Archilochus.

And agreed that most people don't want assessment and feedback. They want validation.

It's unfortunate. I hope you'll find a way to make him feel like he'd be doing you a favor to allow you to check it out. If anyone can...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    That's a longstanding paraphrase of Archilochus.

And agreed that most people don't want assessment and feedback. They want validation.
    Right.

As far as I know Yeager never claimed the saying - he’s one of the few I’ve heard use it without sounding like as ass -
    Which is odd because he usually does no matter what

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Earlier he wanted my help, then decided adrenaline would be enough? Not sure.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Take him to a BJJ class and let him roll with - well, anyone.

He’ll quickly see adrenaline means fuck all

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I hope you would get back with him 'Ed, I'm not sure I really helped you out the other day, can I show you something...' (pretty sure you will, you seem like one of the good guys)

My Browning is the easiest pistol I own to rack one handed. That huge flat slide below the barrel just begs you to put it against nearly anything and shove.

I think I'd probably have him practice pushing it to the rear and locking it back w/o a mag in it, them practice unlocking/letting the slide go forward with the slide release. Then go to doing it with a mag and dummy rounds.

After he mastered that I'd have him practice pressing and chambering with a loaded dummy mag.

Good luck!

User Tag List