Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Modern Combat Revolver

25k a year puts you firmly OUT of the Smith K-Frame territory and forget anything with a Pony on the side.

The only choices become 686 or GP100 for a medium framed 6-shot .357 gun. And these aren't going to handle 25k a year of Magnums, but presumably you're talking .38s and probably ones you're reloading to minimum power-factor. In that case you're unlikely to significantly wear a 686 or GP100 with 25k rounds. You may need to replace a firing pin/firing pin spring/main spring/extractor spring - but you're unlikely to develop endshake or excessive forcing cone erosion running light .38s in an L-Frame or GP100.

Otherwise you'll need to consider an N-Frame or Redhawk which are both huge guns (and 8-shooters at that). Plenty of ICORE guys have thousands upon thousands of rounds of light .38s through 627s. BUT most of those guys are running 160-grain coated bullets, loaded in .38 Short Colt brass (faster moonclip reloads) over a powder charge that is so light a bunny fart would blow it away.

___

My 4" taper barrel GP100 has ~15,000 .38Specials and around 2,000 .357 Magnums through it. It has no measurable endshake, yoke stretch, forcing cone or top strap erosion, and has require nothing in the way of maintenance. In fact, I've mentioned it here before, I've never even taken it apart (I don't even know HOW). I run a bore snake through the cylinder and barrel, and brush under the extractor star after each range session. Every once in awhile I check to make sure none of the screws are loose. Every couple of thousand rounds I remove the cylinder and yoke to clean them, basically whenever opening the cylinder gets a little tough/sticky.

I don't know if that's "Glock-like" reliability, but it'll do for me. If I went to the safe and needed to grab a pistol I knew was going to hit where I aimed and work, I'd grab that GP100 and a handful of speedloaders. I know it's gonna drop 125-grain Gold Dots where I want them out to 50-yards without issue.

__

That said, my gun is a ~2003-2004 manufacture gun. And I'm lead to believe that maybe the newer GP100s aren't quite as well made. I don't know, I've never needed another one. Though a 3" WC is on my 'want' list.

____

And I know @jetfire loves that ACRO equipped Smith, but damn that thing is so ugly. I'm not sure a porkchop around it's barrel would get the dog to play with it.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Well, I don’t shoot as much as I’d like, but I have a goal to be shooting 2k rounds a month, with the occasional but consistent class throughout the year. Just to be safe and account for how I hope to be shooting after all this calms down, I’ll say 25k rounds a year. I’m sure that’s not a high round count for many here, but it’s a goal I have that I’d like to get to and it’s what I’d like for a handgun to be able to stand up to.

For the purpose of the discussion, I’d like to assume that there will be surface cleanings every few hundred rounds, as described earlier in this thread.
    25k in total or 25k in this particular firearm?

Simpler: How many rounds will you shoot through any given revolver in a year?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

25k a year puts you firmly OUT of the Smith K-Frame territory and forget anything with a Pony on the side.

The only choices become 686 or GP100 for a medium framed 6-shot .357 gun. And these aren't going to handle 25k a year of Magnums, but presumably you're talking .38s and probably ones you're reloading to minimum power-factor. In that case you're unlikely to significantly wear a 686 or GP100 with 25k rounds. You may need to replace a firing pin/firing pin spring/main spring/extractor spring - but you're unlikely to develop endshake or excessive forcing cone erosion running light .38s in an L-Frame or GP100.

Otherwise you'll need to consider an N-Frame or Redhawk which are both huge guns (and 8-shooters at that). Plenty of ICORE guys have thousands upon thousands of rounds of light .38s through 627s. BUT most of those guys are running 160-grain coated bullets, loaded in .38 Short Colt brass (faster moonclip reloads) over a powder charge that is so light a bunny fart would blow it away.

___

My 4" taper barrel GP100 has ~15,000 .38Specials and around 2,000 .357 Magnums through it. It has no measurable endshake, yoke stretch, forcing cone or top strap erosion, and has require nothing in the way of maintenance. In fact, I've mentioned it here before, I've never even taken it apart (I don't even know HOW). I run a bore snake through the cylinder and barrel, brush under the extractor star, and wipe the gun down after each range session. I drop a few drops of silicone oil on the extractor rod (inside and out), every once in awhile, I've dripped some oil down into the action. Once I took the grips off and put some grease on the mainspring. A GP100 is like a hammer, in my opinion, and you service it in a similar manner.

I don't know if that's "Glock-like" reliability, but it'll do for me. If I went to the safe and needed to grab a pistol I knew was going to hit where I aimed and work, I'd grab that GP100 and a handful of speedloaders. I know it's gonna drop 125-grain Gold Dots where I want them out to 50-yards without issue.

That said, my gun is a ~2003-2004 manufacture gun. And I'm lead to believe that maybe the newer GP100s aren't quite as well made. I don't know, I've never needed another one. Though a 3" WC is on my 'want' list.

____

And I know @jetfire loves that ACRO equipped Smith, but damn that thing is so ugly. I'm not sure a porkchop tied around its barrel would get the dog to play with it.

Started carrying revolvers in 1965 for Uncle Sam. It was a Smith Model 15. Fast forward to today and I still have revolvers made by Ruger and Smith and Wesson. My favorite action is still S&W and my G
    P100 MC has been resprung and it is a nice, nice 357. For what you want the Smith Model 66-8 would be my goto in a 2.75" barrel. Look at 66-8 setup of ORN03 that is what you would be looking for.
    Enjoy your 357 whatever brand you choose.

I dont recall who mentioned it, and it may have been more than one person, but in Fed or large department LE use they said the older Ruger Security six or Speed six, whatever they had in use, seemed to run for long periods with no parts or service other than basic cleaning. The GPs are probably equally good if not improved.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    25k in total or 25k in this particular firearm?

Simpler: How many rounds will you shoot through any given revolver in a year?
    I just broke down what I plan on shooting a month once I get set up and ammo+reloading components become available again, and just to be safe I'll say 17k a year through a given revolver, or even several revolvers. For instance, if I went all in for the GP100 for my revolver of choice, I'd probably buy 2 or 3 of them to have at least one designated for training so I don't put wear and tear on my vetted carry revolver.

Site Supporter
    Deleted after the OP's last post. Most of what I had to say was no longer applicable.

Dave

I think shooting a dirty gun to shoot a dirty gun is an interesting test but doesn't necessarily make it a necessity for a gun carried for duty use. Clean the gun after use, its not a huge project.

Im no SME. Ive only seriously got into revolvers a few years back, at least beyond woods guns. I think the new k frames have really improved on some of the historic failures. Im only basing this on my personal edc, 2 guns that were rentals at the range I worked at, and a good friends m19 carry comp.

If I wanted a 7 or 8 round gun I would go with a l or a n frame or a gp100. Then I would also go with moon clips as well and deal with their foibles.

The one thing that Ive seen jetfire mention is that the screw that holds the cylinder assembly in Smiths can create a groove which leads to problems.

I pound on my m66-8 pretty hard everyday doing dryfire drills and shoot a couple hundred rounds a week, every week for the last year and a half and so far so good but it is worth a mention.

Eta, I think Im over 10k rounds of magnums and close to that in .38 (which I load kinda warm (5.2gr unique under a 158gr hardcast))
    Last edited by 03RN; 10-31-2020 at 01:28 PM.

I started looking at serious revolvers again a few years ago (before I decided it was time to leave IL) to mitigate the risk of a ban on semiautos. I still think it’s a valid scenario to guard against. I also wanted a couple of revolvers that were good for backcountry stomping up in WI and the UP of MI.

So far, I have two newer full sized belt guns and would like two more. One is a S&W 69 with a gold bead and Bowen Rough Country rear that is specifically intended for the woods, but the second - a S&W 619 - is meant to be an all around utility revolver.

I’d still like to find a 620 and set it up the same as the 69. Plus, I’ve been feeling the pull to get a Ruger GP-100 of some type, the 1755 with Bowens would work quite well.

At 58, I’m pessimistic that I will make it to the grave with legal semiautos...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I just broke down what I plan on shooting a month once I get set up and ammo+reloading components become available again, and just to be safe I'll say 17k a year through a given revolver, or even several revolvers. For instance, if I went all in for the GP100 for my revolver of choice, I'd probably buy 2 or 3 of them to have at least one designated for training so I don't put wear and tear on my vetted carry revolver.
    Buying multiples is a very wise idea given your anticipated use.

User Tag List