Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The Modern Combat Revolver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Meh, im 100% comfortable with a plug
    Since you have the most experience with the new 66 on this forum, what are your thoughts about it vs the 686 series?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Meh, im 100% comfortable with a plug
    Now I need mind’s eye bleach. Thanks.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Since you have the most experience with the new 66 on this forum, what are your thoughts about it vs the 686 series?
    Im not sure. Untill it breaks I think in theory its as tough.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Now I need mind’s eye bleach. Thanks.

Lol

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    If one were to buy a Ruger GP100 Match Champion as a defensive revolver, should one get the model with fixed sights or the one with adjustable sights?
    Adjustable.

1) While I cannot comment specifically on the GP100, as a general rule, adjustable revolver sights are easier to see under a greater variety of light conditions than revolver fixed sights.

2) Adjustable sights provide more options for replacement.

3) Unlike semiautos, for which the recoil is felt when the slide reaches its rearward extent of travel, revolver recoil is felt while the bullet is still in the barrel, and can potentially impact the relationship between point of aim and point of impact.

Adjustable sounds like the right way to go then. I’ve been wanting a MC GP100 since they were first released. I’ll get one one day.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Decades ago memory jog

Seems like I remember POA/POI issues in .357 between 110gr vs 158gr bullets. Didn't it have to do with the 110's shooting low relative to 158gr POI?......and maybe the lighter bullet exiting the barrel sooner than the 158 gr bullet. If anyone can chime in on this that would be great!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Seems like I remember POA/POI issues in .357 between 110gr vs 158gr bullets. Didn't it have to do with the 110's shooting low relative to 158gr POI?......and maybe the lighter bullet exiting the barrel sooner than the 158 gr bullet. If anyone can chime in on this that would be great!
    It happens with revolvers in general, lighter bullets impact lower. Most 20th century .38/.357 fixed sight guns were set for 158s. All of mine are; the exception is my 642-2 which is set up for 125s and is a 21st century gun.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Yup, slower heavier bullets typically shoot higher.

I have found that poi is on an index card at 25 yards with my fixed sighted m66 if velocity is at 1250.

I just tested it the other day. My woods load of a 158gr swc-wn over 13.5gr 2400, jhp edc 140gr xtp over 9gr unique a 125 flat point plated bullet over 8gr unique, and 158gr tc hardcast over 7gr unique all shoot to poi. Lucky I know

My m77mk2 in 7x57 shoots 140gr factory ammo to the same poi as my 175gr reloads at 2500fps.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    If one were to buy a Ruger GP100 Match Champion as a defensive revolver, should one get the model with fixed sights or the one with adjustable sights?
    There are trade offs either way (such is life). Revolvers generally, and a .357 Magnum especially, offer extreme flexibility in bullet weights and loadings. Without adjustable sights, though, you are limiting your ability to take advantage of that. The sight picture on adjustable sights is also frequently better than the traditional trench type fixed sights. On the other hand, adjustable sights are another potential failure point. Adjustables are also typically higher profile and sharper edged than traditional fixed sights. This increases the potential for a snag when drawing. A lot of gunfighters from the revolver age leaned towards fixed sights for defense and adjustable for hunting. Either way you have to decide what compromises best suit your intended use.

User Tag List