Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Modern Combat Revolver

I do not expect any revolver to be able to do multi-hundred rounds per day, without attention to maintenance during that day. My two GP100 revolvers, which have “grunge grooves,” might well be able to do it, but, yeah, one keeps a toothbrush, or similar, with one’s gear, in case of any fouling that may accumulate, during a day-long training class. If I am going to have to storm San Juan Hill, or, escape from Name-Your-Megalopolis, while fighting my way through the “x” Horde, well, I am not such a purist that I would choose revolvers. That is what AR15/M4 rifles/carbines have been created to do.

And, if I anticipate the probability of a dunking, in water or deep mud, or other such environments, well, time to carry a Glock.

I just might carry a 1911 or Glock, simply because I feel like it.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

A quick image search for “GP100 grunge groove” didn’t turn up anything - can anyone show what this is?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Early GP100 revolvers had what would be called “grunge grooves” under the extractor, to accommodate unburned powder debris that might collect there, during an extended shooting session. That, plus the durability of the GP100, I reckon, that makes them true fightin’ sixguns. I bought my first GP100 during this time, and later bought a pre-owned GP100 made during that time.

These is at least gunsmith who does a “powder eater” mod, which I believe is a similar concept. (I cannot recall his name.)

The durability factor includes coil springs, which are less likely to break, than leaf springs. I experienced a broken leaf-type main spring in a duty revolver, which is largely why I established the religion of Carry Thy Second Gun. Of course, the fastest “speedloader” is a second gun, wrapped around those five or six cartridges.

Personally, I find my DA revolvers to be nicely ambidextrous, so, two revolvers can be holstered in a way that allows each hand to have a weapon positioned for expedient access. This second holster, therefore, is a factor in “combat” applicability.

Sometimes, my aging right thumb/hand/wrist do not do exactly what my brain tells them to do. I started getting limp-wrist/limp-grip malfunctions, just before age fifty, with some autos. Revolving pistols do not care whether my grip is firm, or not, or whether my wrist remains firmly aligned, or not. Switching to lefty primary, which would not adversely affect accuracy, as I am a natural lefty-hander*, encounters the challenge of my right hand’s numb thumb being less than obedient when I want it to run a slide, while shooting lefty. So, the age/infirmity factor can favor the fightin’ revolving pistol.

*Left-handed, but right-armed; I write lefty, and throw righty. Carry position was irrelevant until I signed-up for LE work, due to the Texas weapon law, at that time, so I started the academy without having established a primary carry side. I was a blank slate, for learning long-stroke DA, and found it worked with either hand. Drawing from the then-mandated, low-slung duty rig was not unlike an underhanded toss, and I knew my right hip would be more-accessible while patrolling alone, in a vehicle. So, I established right hip carry. A bonus: If ambushed, while eating, and if I am hungry enough, I can keep eating, during the ensuing gun battle.
    In regard to the Powder Eater modification, Rick Devoid of Tarnhelm Supply in New Hampshire offers it for a price of $75. (Tarnhelm.com) (Tel. 603-796-2551) I've got half a dozen GP100s' at this point. Some never seem to have any powder under the extractor problems. Others have the occasional problem. A four inch I bought several years ago had very tight head space, and even one granule of powder under the star would cause a hard trigger pull. Several could actually make the trigger unpullable. I sent the cylinder to Rick, and its' made a huge difference. One or two granules don't bother at all. If you get a big slug at once, it affects the trigger pull, but if you can pull through the serrations will grind up the powder and things are back to normal.

PS- I also write and eat left handed, and throw right handed. Comes in handy for reloading revolvers, doesn't it?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I just broke down what I plan on shooting a month once I get set up and ammo+reloading components become available again, and just to be safe I'll say 17k a year through a given revolver, or even several revolvers. For instance, if I went all in for the GP100 for my revolver of choice, I'd probably buy 2 or 3 of them to have at least one designated for training so I don't put wear and tear on my vetted carry revolver.
    I have finally achieved that goal with 3” K Smiths.
    Practice gun is a 65-6 with the frame mounted firing pin.
    I have broken one hammer nose on a classic S&W.
    Carry is a 64 NY-1
    Spare is a 65-3.

Reliable Chiapa style with moon clips, CO sights and ported barrel.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/chia...k-340-220.html

I think I just described my new competition pistol post AWB.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I do not expect any revolver to be able to do multi-hundred rounds per day, without attention to maintenance during that day. My two GP100 revolvers, which have “grunge grooves,” might well be able to do it, but, yeah, one keeps a toothbrush, or similar, with one’s gear, in case of any fouling that may accumulate, during a day-long training class.
    I've done three multi-hundred per day classes with my GP100. Last one was ~1800 rounds at Thunder Ranch in two days. I took the GP100 and a 4" M64, the M64 never left the bag.

Didn't need to do anything to it at all during the day. At the end of the day I brushed underneath the extractor star.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Lots of good advice so far on the question of hardware, but the OP also needs direction in the art of running a revolver. Yes, the quickly fading techniques of keeping a revolver up & running over a long course of fire. I suggest visiting either an ICORE match or a PPC match. Shadow the competitors and note their techniques.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....un-Challenge-I

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-Challenge-II

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Challenge-III

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-Challenge-IV

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....un-Challenge-V!

Some information in these threads is equipment related, and some is skill-related. More skill-related information is here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ver-Super-Test

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I've done three multi-hundred per day classes with my GP100. Last one was ~1800 rounds at Thunder Ranch in two days. I took the GP100 and a 4" M64, the M64 never left the bag.

Didn't need to do anything to it at all during the day. At the end of the day I brushed underneath the extractor star.
    I did a class last weekend where I went through ~300 rounds in my M10. Using uncoated, lubed cast bullets, I needed frequent recourse to my Allison Speed Brush. Shooting Berry's plated RNs was much cleaner.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I think shooting a dirty gun to shoot a dirty gun is an interesting test but doesn't necessarily make it a necessity for a gun carried for duty use. Clean the gun after use, its not a huge project.
    This. I take a dry paper towel to the range and use it to wipe the soot off my GP when I'm done shooting it. If you wipe while it's still warm, it comes right off. Picked up a lead-away cloth to try on the front of the cylinder. Toothbrush under the extractor and you're GTG in about two minutes or less. Maybe a couple drops of oil here and there when you get home.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    That said, my gun is a ~2003-2004 manufacture gun. And I'm lead to believe that maybe the newer GP100s aren't quite as well made. I don't know, I've never needed another one. Though a 3" WC is on my 'want' list.
    This is the first I've heard of this. What makes Rugers of today inferior to those of yesteryear?

User Tag List