Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The Modern Combat Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    If it ever came down to civilians not allowed semi autos, the demand for revolvers would increase exponentially, at which point I would think we’d see more options and perhaps improvements in the “technology”.
    I think we’ve seen the beginning of that in the carry genre with things like the Ruger LCR and Kimber K6s, but I agree - just like the ‘94 AWB spurred development of compact semiautos designed around the 10 round limit, a new restriction on semis will spur all sorts of revolver innovation.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    He was a gunsmith for <30 years, so he saw a lot of stuff. He's almost the only poster on that site I want to bother reading.
    I meant he was a gunsmith for >30 years, in case that's not obvious.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    That doesn't sound like there is anything inferior about the GP100s of today. Rather it sounds like the further you stray from the 6 shot 357 the GP100 was designed as, the more likely you are to have issues. Just like 1911's, the further you stray from the original configuration, a 5" steel frame .45 acp, the more likely you are to have issues.
    That could well be the case. I seem to recall a few issues with the WC GP100s, but I can't seem to find them when search so maybe that was my imagination.

___

To be fair the 'Super GP100' is really just a Super Redhawk with a .357 or 9mm cylinder, they aren't actually GP100s.

Which reminds me, when the 'Tell the CEO' thing reopens for Ruger - the 'Super GP100' is the perfect platform for a .45ACP carry revolver. Chop the barrel back to 3"-3.5" and throw Lett compacts on it. BAM...best carrying .45ACP revolver - ever.

This thread got me thinking about the way I'd spec. out a fighting wheelgun if I could bend the ears of an engineering department. Turns out I'm just an old-fashioned plagiarist because it would only be a slight variation of the guns with which Walter Walsh planted so many felons.

Start with a lockless matte stainless .357 N-frame and seven or eight shot cylinder. Both for capacity and to reduce the weight, prolonging service life while cranking off double-action shots. The cylinder would be fluted, not only to reduce qeight but for index points when reloading and something for leather/kydex to settle in and bind to further reduce chance of an ND going in or out of the holster.

Thin, smooth trigger for double-action work.

Barrel length either 3.5" or 4" to give the ammo performance I'd want while carrying easily. The shorter of the two would help further reduce weight. Skeeter Skelton is rolling in his grave but give the barrel the classic Highway Patrolman taper. And please go back to the original fat ampersand for the S&W rollmark. Yes, that bit is pure vanity.

Sights conventional but with the outer corners of the rear gently rounded over to redice snagging. Baughman front on Highway Patrolman style sloped base rather than the squared one on Walsh's 27. Front sight would also have a 27-style insert but bright yellow with some flashlight-charging UV dye in the resin. Be more visible in the dayling than straight UV dye and, while dimmer in the dark than eclusive UV dye, still be more visible than without.

Hammer partially bobbed like some current rimfire snubs. Would discourage thumb-cocking but still allow one to easily unlock the cylinder stop to check for cylinder binding.

Round butt for greatest variety of stock selection. I'd personally opt for round-to-square conversion Pachmayr ploughhandles with exposed backstrap or butchered round-to-square conversion target stocks.

Revert back to text-based naming conventions. Call it the Bangor Special in honor of Walsh with coastal and bucolic implications.

Ammunition would ideally be a 158 grain jacketed bullet uncorking around 1,150fps a bit like the old 38/44 Outdoorsman loads but using magnum cases. Bullet construction aiming around 15"-16" penetration in clothed gel. Within bounds for socialwork but on the deep side if four-legged critters need sedation. This should not only give magnum-ish performance while prolonging service life and avoiding excessive recoil but also give a good chance that .38 ammunition carried as a reload would hit rather close to point of aim. I'd also prefer my powder not be flash suppressed or only partially so. The potential phsychological flashbang effect in low light isstuck in my brain.

Combat revolvers are a 2-3 gun system, not a single unit. Second gun would be a Ruger LCR in 38 Special to keep weight down. If adding a third revolver; make it a 2" round butt model 12 with Baramis, grip adapter, painted feont sight, and fully bobbed hammer. All from factory as the alloy K-frame would need modern redesign to be less fragile than the originals, anyway. Again, no bunghole.

I noticed Rangemaster (Tom Givens) has a defensive revolver course, which I'm eyeing for next summer
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I don’t have a whole lot to add to this thread other than some general observations after shooting tens of thousands of rounds through wheelguns.

1. The smaller the revolver, the more often it needs to be cleaned
    2. The Match Champion GP100s are really good, and can shoot as near as makes no difference an infinite amount of standard pressure 38s without going out of time.
    3. Moonclips in small revos suck
    4. Moonclips in big revos are awesome
    5. Moonclip guns are especially sensitive to powder under the star
    6. If you’re picking between a Performance Center/Pro Series L-frame or a Match Champion/Custom Shop Ruger, flip a coin and be happy.
    7. LCRs are really good

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Swamp Dweller:

BillSWPA beat me to it but I did a series of posts about carrying a Ruger GP100 Match Champion as my primary defensive sidearm for 6 months. Bill SWPA was kind enough to list them in his post. My pick for revolvers would be the Ruger GP100 Match Champion series in 357 magnum. I agree that if you are decided on carrying that gun, then I would buy at least two and realistically three. One would be dedicated for daily carry, one for my trainer and one as a spare. Why three? If I get into a lawfully justified shooting, that gun will be taken as evidence. I may or may not be able to recover it from the courts. I want a spare that I can put into service immediately after a shooting. The trainer is the gun that gets shot he most.

I hope that helps. Nice to see folks spending time on keeping revolver skills alive. Take care,

Bruce
    I just went through the links and read your posts. It is a gold mine of information for someone who is considering getting into the revolver world in a serious way, and I thank you for that.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________________
    This discussion has been very useful so far. Honestly, the 7-shot GP100 in .357 Magnum is what appeals to me the most, though with some of the things said here I wonder if it is more prone to having problems than the 6 shot version. Obviously, reliability and durability are more important than 1 more round, but something about a revolver having the same capacity as a 7-round 1911 does appeal to me as a viable primary handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    ... but something about a revolver having the same capacity as a 7-round 1911 does appeal to me as a viable primary handgun.
    Except a 1911 is really 8 rounds and an 8rd revolver is farking huuuuge.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I just went through the links and read your posts. It is a gold mine of information for someone who is considering getting into the revolver world in a serious way, and I thank you for that.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________________
    This discussion has been very useful so far. Honestly, the 7-shot GP100 in .357 Magnum is what appeals to me the most, though with some of the things said here I wonder if it is more prone to having problems than the 6 shot version. Obviously, reliability and durability are more important than 1 more round, but something about a revolver having the same capacity as a 7-round 1911 does appeal to me as a viable primary handgun.
    Swamp Dweller- There is a discussion of the GP100 7 shot situation from this summer here on the revolver board. I just checked and it's on page 4 at the moment. Take a look.

Another Smith fan who would go GP100 (3" or 4") for as close to Glock as it gets.

Unless money was no object, then I would be looking at an MR73. Never handled one, but supposedly they have no problem with something like 50k .357 rounds per year. Cheap compared to some older Pythons. 😃
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List