Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: The Modern Combat Revolver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Here you go - a modern version of a top break 32 SW Long from India:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...y-scott-india/

I'd buy one in the vein of the silly gun thread.
    I'd be on that like white on rice, except for:
    According to one source, the estimated cost of the new top-break revolvers will equal around $1,341 US.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    That's probably due to exchange rate and India's economy. If they were imported there is no way it would cost that much.

The 686+ has been out for a while and I could get that in prelock. Does the 686+ have any problems going from 6 to 7 rounds like the GP100 did?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    The 686+ has been out for a while and I could get that in prelock. Does the 686+ have any problems going from 6 to 7 rounds like the GP100 did?
    Can you get the "+" without the lock? I thought the 7th round was added after S&W introduced the internal lock.

It's possible to get the 686 "+" without the lock, and with the hammer-mounted firing pin. I've had two of them. The 7-round cylinder was added a few engineering changes before the internal lock.

Last edited by oregon45; 11-04-2020 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Can you get the "+" without the lock? I thought the 7th round was added after S&W introduced the internal lock.
    You can send a no lock 586/686 to Smith and have it fitted for 7 rounds, at least a few years ago you could.
    Also there are gunsmiths that can do that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    There is nothing, I mean absolutely NOTHING more horrid than the safety catch on those things. It's not the first time Webley has built a MKIV with a cross-block safety (that's what the little silver button is above the grip panels). And universally they're terrible, they slide sideways and tie the gun up when you're shooting them. Absolutely one of the worst designs ever created. And only someone who is from a country where 'Health and Safety' is everywhere could come up with such a stupid contrivance and think it's a good idea.

Worse, those damn things were commonly issued and as such are found in many former British colonies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    There is nothing, I mean absolutely NOTHING more horrid than the safety catch on those things. It's not the first time Webley has built a MKIV with a cross-block safety (that's what the little silver button is above the grip panels). And universally they're terrible, they slide sideways and tie the gun up when you're shooting them. Absolutely one of the worst designs ever created. And only someone who is from a country where 'Health and Safety' is everywhere could come up with such a stupid contrivance and think it's a good idea.

Worse, those damn things were commonly issued and as such are found in many former British colonies.
    Nothing that super glue couldn't fix...

Site Supporter
    My recommendation on revolver action jobs for defense weapons is opting for smoothness to achieve a lighter DA trigger pull. Replacing factory springs with lower weight aftermarket springs is common. Doing so can reduce reliability. Over and over throughout many years I observed light strikes caused by lighter mainsprings. I worked an indoor range and saw various types of malfunctions. Also setting up a revolver to function with one brand of ammo never made sense to me.

I shoot double action only with non S,A. type revolvers and have for almost 40 years. I have observed that having a light double action does not by itself increase shooter accuracy. The trained double action action shooter does not require a light weight d.a. pull. But smooth is essential, and smooth does reduce pull weight by reducing friction.

I completely agree with JRV's initial comments. S&W or Ruger GP's are subject to the problems he mentions once the round count starts going up.

At Thunder Ranch a number of years ago, the Revolver Class had two GP's and the rest were K, L and N frames. We shot about 1000 rounds. Other than the older K frames, most of the Smith's had problems of some kind. The GP's were problem free but I was experiencing cartridge seating problems. At that time I didn't understand how to really clean the cylinders and was plagued with this problem for years afterwards until I saw (or was shown) the light.

I have experienced many problems with revolvers. My view is that they are not suited high volume time compressed shooting where they get very hot and must be repeated cleaned. I thought it funny that most of the TR shooters had toothbrushes in their rear pockets. In retrospect, I should have had one too. Frankly I would be surprised if the OP didn't have a problem of some kind if he shoots 25,000 rounds in one year.

That said, for a double action revolver the Ruger MC is about as good as it gets in my view.

Although my Ruger single actions do not have the high round count of some of the double actions, they have 2000 and 4000 rounds of 44 Spec or 45 (with recoil of two or three times more than the 38's) and neither show any signs of any problems nor have they ever failed. But then again, I've never shot 2 - 300 rounds in one setting or 15,000 rounds in the life of the gun for that matter.

The bottom line is purchase the revolver through Davidson's or a retailer that uses Davidson's as a distributor so the gun will have Davidson's lifetime warranty. Both Smith and Ruger recently fixed end shake problems cost free to me, or if not, Davidson's would have replaced the guns. They also paid for the shipping to the factories.

User Tag List