Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: The Modern Combat Revolver

If you can find it VV N110 with CCI magnum primers gets me 1250 FPS out of 158gr XTPs out of my 2.5" 66-1. That's the starting charge right out of the VV free downloadable manual and using the OAL from the Hornady manual. I was kinda shocked and N110 instantly became my favorite .357 magnum powder! That's a seriously good load and not a lot of flash either.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    We actually got a 4" stainless GP100 into the shop today. I was about set on purchasing it until I got to mess with it a bit and discovered that sometimes the transfer bar wouldn't move into position on two of the chambers...
    Is the shop sending it back to Ruger, or waiting for a customer to do so?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Is the shop sending it back to Ruger, or waiting for a customer to do so?
    We’re shipping it back to Ruger, as we do with any firearm we receive that we find to have defects. There have been a lot more than usual in 2020, pretty much across the board except for Glocks and Berettas.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    We actually got a 4" stainless GP100 into the shop today. I was about set on purchasing it until I got to mess with it a bit and discovered that sometimes the transfer bar wouldn't move into position on two of the chambers...
    I’m curious as to what the malfunction is here. The transfer bar works off of the trigger and is independent of the cylinder. In point of fact it should work with the cylinder removed. I believe I read that there are different size transfer bars, perhaps the wrong one is in place?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I’m curious as to what the malfunction is here. The transfer bar works off of the trigger and is independent of the cylinder. In point of fact it should work with the cylinder removed. I believe I read that there are different size transfer bars, perhaps the wrong one is in place?
    Maybe. I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert in the mechanics of revolvers. There's definitely something going on, though.

125gr vs 158gr

I have a 4in GP100 and, besides 38 special target lands, have exclusively used 158gr 357 magnum with it.

I have a small amount of 125gr ammo that I haven't shot yet. It's defensive stuff and I've been hesitant to shoot it because I found 125gr harder to find.

Is there any appreciable difference in recoil between 158gr and 125gr? Some reports say 158gr has more, while others say 125gr.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked City View Post
    I have a 4in GP100 and, besides 38 special target lands, have exclusively used 158gr 357 magnum with it.

I have a small amount of 125gr ammo that I haven't shot yet. It's defensive stuff and I've been hesitant to shoot it because I found 125gr harder to find.

Is there any appreciable difference in recoil between 158gr and 125gr? Some reports say 158gr has more, while others say 125gr.
    My experience is that recoil is about the same, but the 125-grain stuff has more blast and flash.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    My experience is that recoil is about the same, but the 125-grain stuff has more blast and flash.
    This. I’ve got a 4-inch Model 28-2 that shows a serious affinity for 125 grain loads. The flash and bang are all out of proportion to the felt recoil in the N frame.

Anyone's thoughts on using a flashlight with your revolver? Most revolvers can not mount a weapon light, so you're going to hold the light on your offhand. Any of you tried training this way? If so, what technique are you using?

I read a blog post about revolvers and one of the commenters said they use Knuckle Lights. I had no idea this was a thing, and I'm very tempted to order some:
    https://www.amazon.com/Knuckle-Light...0770597&sr=8-4

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked City View Post
    Anyone's thoughts on using a flashlight with your revolver? Most revolvers can not mount a weapon light, so you're going to hold the light on your offhand. Any of you tried training this way? If so, what technique are you using?

I read a blog post about revolvers and one of the commenters said they use Knuckle Lights. I had no idea this was a thing, and I'm very tempted to order some:
    https://www.amazon.com/Knuckle-Light...0770597&sr=8-4
    While I have briefly tried mounted lights, I have found that a handheld light meets most of my needs best regardless of whether using a revolver or semiauto.

Indoors, I prefer a neck index, or if coming around a corner, holding the light high and head/gun low, or head/gun high and light low.

Outdoors, I prefer the FBI hold.

For those who prefer a Rogers/Surefire/cigar hold or a Harries hold, I have found the key to these holds to be using a light touch on the gun hand with the support hand. That light touch will stabilize the gun, and anything more causes more problems than it solves. With this in mind, switching from a semiauto to a revolver should change little or nothing for these holds.

User Tag List