Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: The Modern Combat Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Which book are you referring to? If I recall No Second Place Winner correctly, he commented that a semiauto is a fine military weapon against a large attack, but did not make a single comment about what he carried in WWII.

I recall reading in a magazine article - possibly written by Mas Ayoob but I cannot be sure - that he selected a .45 ACP revolver to take advantage of the readily available ammo.

No Second Place Winner did not present a favorable impression of carrying a 1911 cocked with the thumb safety on. If he needed his pistol, it would be in a bunker designed for people shorter than him, at close range, and in all likelihood would be needed RIGHT NOW because his long gun had gone down.
    Yes, No Second Place Winner. I think, but it's been a while, that while he never directly said what he carried, he implied that a 1911 is what he had. I could be wrong.

I haven't come across that article. My impression was that, while he preferred revolvers, he would have used what was issued to him and I don't remember any commentary about revolver reliability in military service.

Anyway, what Bill Jordan chose is not directly relevant to what is available today, and while I like revolvers, if I were to use a sidearm in the conditions an infantry guy would encounter, a gun that can run in spite of being very dirty and has a very low number of parts that I can replace myself without any smithing would get my vote. As it stands, a Glock does that and no revolver that I know of can. It doesn't mean a revolver can't be a good carry gun for every day life, it's just a different set of standards.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Guys, nobody on this forum is more pro-wheelie than me.
    I dispute this statement ;-)

That said, I’m having a bit of trouble following justifications of revolvers based on stuff that happened 50-110 years ago. All the historical badass guys we are discussing would have chosen a G17 (or G21) if it had been available.

Well, maybe not the tunnel rats in the case of the G17, but that would be due to first-hand 9mm ball ammo experience, and not reliability concerns. Probably G21 territory.

There’s a reason that I have multiple Js, Ks, and SA Rugers in my safe (they’re very cool), but one full-size Glock in my nightstand (mo’ betta).

Anyhoo, carry on, carry on.
    When people ask me (and they do a lot) why I carry a wheelieboi instead of a modern 9mm semi-auto I'm honest. "I like revolvers and this is pretty much an affectation for me." Outside of very specific use cases, a Beretta APX, or any other modern 9mm pistol is a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I dispute this statement ;-)
    I’ll just have to step up my game, and may God have mercy on my credit card balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Guys, nobody on this forum is more pro-wheelie than me. That said, I’m having a bit of trouble following justifications of revolvers based on stuff that happened 50-110 years ago. All the historical badass guys we are discussing would have chosen a G17 (or G21) if it had been available.

Well, maybe not the tunnel rats in the case of the G17, but that would be due to first-hand 9mm ball ammo experience, and not reliability concerns. Probably G21 territory.
    I always say that if was in a combat situation, I’d have an M60, 10,000 rounds of ammo, and an M16. I’d eat the vanquished, so no need to carry rations.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Let's get back to the technical aspects of the thread.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Let's get back to the technical aspects of the thread.
    They're technical aspects to this thread?

I just put compact grips on my 3" .357 GP100, and, man, that seems like a pretty serious package. A little heavy maybe, but feels like it would carry well and be pretty formidable.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    man, that seems like a pretty serious package. A little heavy maybe, but feels like it would carry well and be pretty formidable.
    Just be sure not to use the sissy GDHP load.

PS. Phrasing.

PPS. I’m sorry, @BBI, I’m not sure if it’s me or the thread that jumped the shark, but either way, it’s a bird’s eye view of teeth. I’ll go do something else now...

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I’ve seen where tunnel rats used revolvers in Vietnam. They even had silencers fitted.Attachment 63154
    Attachment 63156
    Is that suppressor bent downwards?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Is that suppressor bent downwards?
    They always look bent downward to me...?????

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    We should also consider that Bill Jordan, who during his WWII service had at least some ability to select his own weapons, chose to carry a revolver. His was part of a unit that went into Japanese bunkers to make sure no enemy soldiers were hiding therein. He valued reliability highly, and switched from a pump shotgun to a Thompson submachine gun when the paper cartridges for the shotgun swelled up from moisture. The revolver apparently raised no reliability concerns.

Technical merits aside, a world class revolver shooter, who carried revolvers in his pre-war LE job chose to use a revolver when he had the option ? And this is a surprise ? Familiarity is a thing.

You get to choose an average solider with an M17 or Jerry Miculek with a revolver to back you up in a gun fight who are you choosing ?

Once again, our friend Thulsa Doom has the answer....

User Tag List