Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: The Modern Combat Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    While I have briefly tried mounted lights, I have found that a handheld light meets most of my needs best regardless of whether using a revolver or semiauto.

Indoors, I prefer a neck index, or if coming around a corner, holding the light high and head/gun low, or head/gun high and light low.

Outdoors, I prefer the FBI hold.

For those who prefer a Rogers/Surefire/cigar hold or a Harries hold, I have found the key to these holds to be using a light touch on the gun hand with the support hand. That light touch will stabilize the gun, and anything more causes more problems than it solves. With this in mind, switching from a semiauto to a revolver should change little or nothing for these holds.
    This is a pretty handy gadget if you have not tried one. I have a few now. I believe this is the video that explains use that I discovered here.

https://thyrm.com/sage-dynamics-video-thyrm-switchback/

. That light touch will stabilize the gun, and anything more causes more problems than it solves.
    I’ve had decent results with both techniques, trained by Crews, Furr, Hackathorn, Smith, and Bolke. All of them emphasized that particularly with the Harries a forceful lock-up is the goal. Properly done they provide better results than SHO.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I’ve had decent results with both techniques, trained by Crews, Furr, Hackathorn, Smith, and Bolke. All of them emphasized that particularly with the Harries a forceful lock-up is the goal. Properly done they provide better results than SHO.
    How did they teach you to deal with or eliminate the asymmetrical pressure on the shooting hand?

Site Supporter
    I've got a Switchback on my EDC Modlite but I don't care for the "Switchback technique." I tend to default back to a temple or neck index like @BillSWPA described. This method seems to work well and requires less grip futzing than the switchback technique. I love the Switchback for acquiring the light in the pocket and the clip hangs onto pants nicely.

. With this in mind, switching from a semiauto to a revolver should change little or nothing for these holds.
    It's the reload that things get interesting.

I dont like doing it with nice blued guns because it'll scratch the trigger guard/cylinder

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    It's the reload that things get interesting.

I dont like doing it with nice blued guns because it'll scratch the trigger guard/cylinder
    Good point. Do you put the light in its pouch during a reload?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Good point. Do you put the light in its pouch during a reload?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, it'll stay in my left hand. Not a huge deal with my m66-8 though. It sounds pretty crunchy and you better toughen up when you slap the ejector and nick a serrated bezel or tail cap because it will draw blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked City View Post
    Anyone's thoughts on using a flashlight with your revolver? Most revolvers can not mount a weapon light, so you're going to hold the light on your offhand. Any of you tried training this way? If so, what technique are you using?

My current answer:

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post

I mentioned upstream that my dad’s best friend spent some time in tunnels as part of his job. I’ve always had a little fascination with that horrifying bit of work, and have seen the classic pics over and over. That, and the fact that I had one of those GI right angle flashlights when I was a scout as a kid made me wonder why we got away from the idea.

So I did a quick search, and came up with this thing on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PB3LNV1...kCode=ogi&th=1

It arrived the other day, and I tried it on a dry run around the house. How is this not a thing? No need for aftermarket combat rings, or complex lanyard weavings that make a Persian rug look like a paper bag; just put the thing in your support hand and go palms-to-palms; where the gun points, the light points. Granted, there is no free lunch: neck index is off the table, but other than that, it seems to work and point.

I’m no low-light SME, so maybe I’m missing something, but this sure is an easy-button way to throw some light on an SHO pistol situation.

School me: why don’t more lights look like this old-school idea? Thanks in advance.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked City View Post
    Anyone's thoughts on using a flashlight with your revolver? Most revolvers can not mount a weapon light, so you're going to hold the light on your offhand. Any of you tried training this way? If so, what technique are you using?

I read a blog post about revolvers and one of the commenters said they use Knuckle Lights. I had no idea this was a thing, and I'm very tempted to order some:
    https://www.amazon.com/Knuckle-Light...0770597&sr=8-4
    I don't use a light on my carry guns. I always have a Streamlight Microlight with me, clipped in a pocket next to my folder. I use a head hold when using it with a gun. I have yet to use it "for real", thankfully; that's just the way I've been trained. I do have a TLR-1 on my nightstand gun.

Like the folder, the light gets a lot of use in day-to-day tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    My experience is the same, and it's why I still prefer Harries after all these years.

How did they teach you to deal with or eliminate the asymmetrical pressure on the shooting hand?
    I don't understand what you mean.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List