Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: The Modern Combat Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    So, basically 9mm ballistics?

:-)
    Sort of; depends on the 9mm.

I think I mentioned upthread that the midrange Remmy and Speer .357s chrono like standard pressure 9mm in 2-2 1/2” and like +p/+P+ 9mm in 4” tubes, all else considered.

All good, I have a couple of service size G-lock 9mms, courtesy of a couple of P-F buds, so whatever falls to hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    So, basically 9mm ballistics?

:-)
    Why can't we get 9mm punch out of a .38?

Definitely from a 4". But even down to 3"-that's a lot of carry 9s barrel length.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post

Definitely from a 4". But even down to 3"-that's a lot of carry 9s barrel length.
    With good bullets from a major manufacturer.

Then again a 158 at 1250fps is do able. 158 at 1100 is very easy to do. What 9mm does that?

Quote Originally Posted by jrbway View Post
    I’m curious what others thoughts are on the 125 Grain .357 Gold Dot out of a 2.75-3” barrel? We know the testing shows it over penetrates and doesn’t expand out of 2” guns and performs adequately from 4” guns (Lucky Gunner testing).
    I think this load is easier to find than the short barrel load—at least these days.
    If a round isn't going to expand is there any benefit over a standard full wadcutter? Seems like it would just be extra recoil and slower follow up shots if the wadcutter also penetrates. The wadcutter shape vs the hollow point that doesn't open seems like the wadcutters profile would be a benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    If a round isn't going to expand is there any benefit over a standard full wadcutter? Seems like it would just be extra recoil and slower follow up shots if the wadcutter also penetrates. The wadcutter shape vs the hollow point that doesn't open seems like the wadcutters profile would be a benefit.
    Barriers and reloading for starters

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Reloading is the principle reason for me... Of course, in my J Frames, I load wadcutters and reload with Gold Dots. I could apply the same practice to the MCR, but the bigger gun makes me more interested in modern defensive ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbway View Post
    Reloading is the principle reason for me... Of course, in my J Frames, I load wadcutters and reload with Gold Dots. I could apply the same practice to the MCR, but the bigger gun makes me more interested in modern defensive ammo.
    The reloading issue is a point—as much as I knock the .38 GDHP’s performance in short barrel guns, the speedloaders for my LCR .38 are all filled with GDHP +P, with Wadcutter in the gun. OMMV.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'd say the barriers part could be resolved with hard cast, but at that speed penetration is likely to be...plentiful. I'd also think it'd do quite nicely against bone.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

A hard cast full wad-cutter at moderate velocity would be so kewl for a 3-4 inch MCR. However due to idiot gun writers most who would use a revolver know the 125 jhp and velocity is why it can kill goats like lightning. So how do you sell the product?

The GD short barrel is likely the best round for social purposes for up to a 3-3.5 inch barrel.

The above mentioned wad-cutter would be a great woods walking round and work for social purposes.

Remember we are talking about low velocity hole pokers. Extra energy likely gives us more recoil and not much return on the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post

I think allowed pressures for a 38 Special, even at +P, and even with a 4" barrel, limit what can be done. I don't think that 125gr bullet at +P pressures and velocities beats 1000 fps, even from a long barrel, making it nowhere near a 9mm 124gr +P at around 1200 fps.

With 357 pressures, it's easy.

It just seems that when we try to combine portability, power and control in a revolver, the right combination essentially mimics 9mm ballistics.

Didn't Jim Cirillo load his revolvers with rounds that had 9mm like ballistics (his favored bullets being very different)?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List