Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pulling the Pin

Quote Originally Posted by ToledoCop View Post
    My career appears to have followed yours with the exception of K-9. The emotions upon retiring are real. I went through them my last week and almost didn't retire because I still loved the job. I even entertained becoming an auxiliary officer in the state I moved to. What stopped me was the memories of dealing with other peoples drama. Different people, same drama. It is such an interesting and fulfilling occupation even with the downsides we are all acutely aware of. My last night working was the most difficult. Just before I ended my shift I was summoned by one of my officers for a meet at a local park. Lined up in a row were all the precinct officers. Each and everyone walked past me and shook my hand. I get emotional even now remembering that moment. I spoke to all of them when asked what advice I could give. "Love your job and you will do a good job. You will walk away knowing you gave your best."
    That’s a nice send off. The Department Reserve Sergeant contacted me to see if I was interested in being a Reserve. It was tempting but I made the same decision. I am still adjusting. I’ve been doing chores etc. I hope you’re doing well. Take care my friend.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ToledoCop View Post
    My career appears to have followed yours with the exception of K-9. The emotions upon retiring are real. I went through them my last week and almost didn't retire because I still loved the job. I even entertained becoming an auxiliary officer in the state I moved to. What stopped me was the memories of dealing with other peoples drama. Different people, same drama. It is such an interesting and fulfilling occupation even with the downsides we are all acutely aware of. My last night working was the most difficult. Just before I ended my shift I was summoned by one of my officers for a meet at a local park. Lined up in a row were all the precinct officers. Each and everyone walked past me and shook my hand. I get emotional even now remembering that moment. I spoke to all of them when asked what advice I could give. "Love your job and you will do a good job. You will walk away knowing you gave your best."
    One of these days (or years), I will pull the pin. My next potential retirement marker is three years when I am eligible for Medicare.
    I am very fortunate to have twenty great people to direct and help grow and finally, people in higher positions that finally care about our Office and the tasks we perform usually without fanfare.
    If the previous administration had continued to exist, I probably would have left this past summer.

User Tag List