Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulling the Pin

Pulling the Pin

Tomorrow is my last “work” day at my Department. Halloween is my last day but I took it off. My retirement party is tomorrow and I turn in most of my gear. I bought my Glock for a dollar and my gold badge for $57 The last few days have felt weird. The last five years in DROP just flew by.

I have 33 years of service. 25 years in Tactical. I was on SWAT for 15 with three years of full time there. I went to K9 and I was dual purposed for six years. I left the Team in 2010 and was K9 10 years. I have 16 years in K9. I still love my job. K9 is the best job I’ve ever had paraphrasing Fury

The hardest part was giving my dog to another handler in August. When I entered DROP I knew it was coming. It was part of getting the new dog when my old guy retired. I’ve been a dog less K9 handler for three months. It’s like being the cavalry guy that has to hold horses when everyone dismounts. I guess the saddest part was getting in the car and talking to a dog that wasn’t in the cage. That lasted a couple months.

The best part has been talking to guys and receiving compliments and congratulations. I’ve worked late swings/graves for the last sixteen years. I’ve seen a lot of new guys mature and Supervisors promote. Some of them have been thanking me for helping them and treating them like peers. I read one email and someone must’ve poured some dust in my A/C vents when I wasn’t looking.

I’m not really sure what’s ahead. I’m planning on hanging around for awhile. I’ll be working on chores around the house. When I get bored I’ll probably find a job for the extras money. I’m going to try to volunteer at our range as well.

I’m leaving still loving my job. I can’t believe I was fortunate enough to hold the dumb end of the leash and go find bad guys for this long.

For those still on the job stay safe and keep the faith. K14 out.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Congratulations. Not everyone gets to leave while still loving the job. That's the way it ought to be. Enjoy your retirement.

Site Supporter
    Congratulations, thank you and best of everything in retirement.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Congratulations! What can you do now that you're retiring? Everything else in the world. My advice is to find something meaningful to you and immerse yourself in it.

One more thing. If you don't have a dog at home, get one.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Enjoy retirement - you earned it!

Congratulations, brother. You've earned it...now enjoy it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Congratulations on making it to retirement! It’s awesome that you’re retiring while you still love the job as well. I agree with @Hambo. Find something you’re passionate about and put your effort into it, whatever it is.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Congratulations K14. Find a hobby, stay busy, and enjoy your retirement.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Congratulations! Thank you for your good work.

Once you’ve had a break, there might be a dog rescue or shelter that could use your skills...

Congrats on a job well done!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List