Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sub $1K AR's,.. a waste of money or a bargain?

Brownells Had Magpul Mags, Today, 30 October

I was just able to order two ten-packs of Magpul 20-round mags from Brownells. Via the affiliate link, located in the orange-colored bar at the top of this page, of course.

Yes, I do like Twenties. With Texas “brush country” in one direction, The Piney Woods in another directions, and the Big Thicket in another direction, Twenties rule.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I don't know what your AO is like but in mine all types of firearms are available. Many brands of AR are displayed in my LGS. My first choice is Colt due to it's military origins but there are other brands out there that are just as good.
    My best advice is buy basic quality right from the start, whatever you get can later be modified to your taste. But at least the "bones" are good. Look at optics as your first accessory.

Site Supporter
    I suggest that biggest driver to "AR" accuracy and reliability is ammo. I am a very active reloader and just loaded some "pulled" 55 FMJ M193 projectiles over WC844 in mixed cases - that provided about 3MOA groups at 100 yards through a 20 inch target AR. Same AR shoots sub moa with higher quality projectiles, "better" powder in mixed cases.

That’s a decent price IMO, and I like Brownells and the affiliate link. Done.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This can be kind of a hard question right now because of availability. Usually we'd say, "Go buy a BCM, Colt, SOLGW, Daniel Defense, etc...." but that's not really good advice since you can't readily buy any of those right now with any choice in a decent choice of varieties....and if you do find whatever specific one you're looking for, you're going to pay a premium markup.

If you want to keep the decision simple and buy something readily available for under $1k that will generally do you well, I'd get this: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...ight-set3.html

I would not get the M&P, honestly. They have absurdly heavy barrels for standard carbine use. While falling short of "duty-grade" in a few harder to notice but key points (one of which can be easily rectified for $80 with the purchase of a BCM bolt head), the one I linked to is equal or better to the M&P in virtually every category. The Gov't profile barrel isn't a nice lightweight profile but it's at least noticeably lighter than the M&P Sport....the rail system will allow you to experiment with different placements for grips, lights, etc and is lightweight. The mid-length gas system will shoot softer and the bolt will have a longer life than a carbine gas system........and while subjective, the furniture is much nicer than what the M&P Sport is wearing. Again, that's subjective, but I despise the A2 grip.

To me, that's a no brainer decision if I were limiting my choices to in-stock complete rifles for under $1000. If you wanted to mix-and-match uppers and lowers and look at building something, you could do better.....but honestly I don't see that being a good route for you to pursue at your current knowledge level. My recommendation is to start with the one I linked to, start shooting and learning, and go from there.

Have fun, enjoy.
    I was just going to respond and then I read this from our friend TGS.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I agree with everything HCM wrote. I would try to buy the version that has the A Frame front sight that HCM suggested because it is more ready to go. Here is the version HCM suggested if you can find it: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii

If all you can find is the version that you listed that doesn't come with sights, I would buy that and then get some aftermarket front and rear sights if you can't get a red dot optic immediately.
    My understanding is the SKU the OP posted includes the Crimson Trace 4 MOA red/green dot shown in his pic (link). So if price, local availability, and being ready to go out of the box are the primary considerations, I might lean that way vs. the one with a fixed front sight and spending an extra $150 or so on an optic. I'd think the MOE handguard would be a little easier to mount a light to as well.

No doubt the configuration TGS linked to is much more modern and flexible, and you can always keep an eye out for good red dot deals when Black Friday rolls around. How's the customer service from PSA in case of an issue? Generally heard good things about S&W in that department but haven't dealt with either myself.

I’m one of the few who isn’t impressed with what I have purchased from PSA, and I haven’t bought just bottom dollar items. I trust them for limited specific components, but I think a complete rifle not so much. I rank them right “up” there with Spike’s.

If I were looking for a built up budget AR, I would be comfortable with a S&W plus a good inspection and maybe a few minor part changes.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I agree with everything HCM wrote. I would try to buy the version that has the A Frame front sight that HCM suggested because it is more ready to go. Here is the version HCM suggested if you can find it: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii

If all you can find is the version that you listed that doesn't come with sights, I would buy that and then get some aftermarket front and rear sights if you can't get a red dot optic immediately.

The gun, ammo, and some magazines are your first priority, with the gun being primary since guns have the potential to be most scarce and harder to get later. And if you don't have the gun you don't have anything.

Then buy ammo which is right now harder to find than the gun, and magazines which seem to be available at the moment.
    I would actually prioritize mags since they are not subject to panic buying yet. If Biden wins that may well change

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I was just able to order two ten-packs of Magpul 20-round mags from Brownells. Via the affiliate link, located in the orange-colored bar at the top of this page, of course.

Yes, I do like Twenties. With Texas “brush country” in one direction, The Piney Woods in another directions, and the Big Thicket in another direction, Twenties rule.
    Thanks, @Rex G, for reminding me to pick up a handful. I normally keep 30 rounders as my mainstay and picked up some 10 rounders a couple years back out of concern for the direction we were are heading, but had failed to purchase any 20 rounders. At least now I'll have a few to keep on hand.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I love shooting AR shaped rifles and pistols, in fact I had two at the range today getting some group therapy in. However if at this point in time you don’t have a deep stock of ammo, magazines and little to no training with Mr. Stoners creation I’d advise holding off.

The way I see it one of two things is going to happen:

1) Donald Trump wins and the gun stores, pawn shops and ad bulletins will be full of guns at 50% of what they sold for in 2020 (kinda like what happened after 2016).

2) Kamela’s sugar daddy wins and we get to trade our semiauto anything for $200 in stock in wind farms

Either way you’re going to be sad that you bought at the current pricing.

Of course Curtain #3 has Civil War II behind it and hopefully you don’t end up behind enemy lines in an ANTIFA re-education camp.

If your goal is to shoot groups of holes into paper pick up a decent bolt gun with scope and learn to shoot it until the above is resolved.

User Tag List