Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking at a Ruger LCR .357 3"BBL Talk me out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    Do they make this in the 3 inch now?
    If you want .327 in a 3" you'll likely have to go with an SP101. As far as I know Ruger doesn't offer a 3" .327 LCR.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    I’ll talk you out of it.

Get a 3” S&W Model 60. It’s like 6-8 ounces heavier (depending on the version of LCR and version of Smith), it’s stainless steel, it looks gorgeous, the trigger is heavier but shorter with a more positive reset, the selection of stocks is better, and the speedloader options are better (friggin’ JetLoaders). The weight makes .357s manageable, and it’s no heavier than a Glock 19.

If you’re going to carry a 3” 5-shot, you’re already carrying kind of a dumb gun (I am allowed to say that, I’m wearing one right now). It’s Glock 19 size but snubby capacity. Might as well look good being dumb.
    I have a M60-2 4" already. Great pistol.

M60 3" are rare as hen's teeth. I found one for sale local but it has the dreaded lock. I would do a 3" M60 or M65 if I could find the right one. Or a M64

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    A lightweight .357 sounds like something only a masochist would love to shoot.
    Agreed. I would only fire 38 special in it. The reason I am considering this pistol is I may be able to get a pretty good deal on it. I would rather have a 3" K frame but I can't seem to find what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Don't overlook the Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum. Same size as the .357 but with one additional round in the cylinder. Plus the .327 appears to be a solid choice in a snub if you're concerned about FBI ammunition performance specs.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ted-32-magnums
    The .327 is pretty tempting but I want to stay with .357/.38 Special

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    Do they make this in the 3 inch now?
    No, and the Prescott PD says the next time I try to sneak my drawings for one under the door of Ruger's chief engineer I'm going to go to jail

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    The only reason I’d try and talk you out of it is that from the platform, the 3 inch 38 Special makes more sense. You’ll never shoot magnums out of it, or if you do you’ll only do it once, and the 38 gun is a couple oz lighter. I have carried one as EDC for a long time, and still use it as my go to for a lot of occasions. It’s definitely not a pocket gun, but it’s much easier to carry for extended periods than a Glock 19.

Oh and anyone who days a j-frame has a better trigger is smoking crack
    I think the 38 special is a little less expensive too.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I think the 38 special is a little less expensive too.
    The other reason I recommend 38 Special guns over 357 Mag is that if we accept all we're going to be shorting is 38 Special, it makes more sense to get the shorter cylinder, which is less freebore to jump. I know that it doesn't really make the guns that much more accurate, but in my stupid head it's worth it. Plus, you can zero the adjustable sights on your 3 inch 38 Special gun for 148 grain wadcutters and have a carry gun that's actually pleasant to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    The other reason I recommend 38 Special guns over 357 Mag is that if we accept all we're going to be shorting is 38 Special, it makes more sense to get the shorter cylinder, which is less freebore to jump. I know that it doesn't really make the guns that much more accurate, but in my stupid head it's worth it. Plus, you can zero the adjustable sights on your 3 inch 38 Special gun for 148 grain wadcutters and have a carry gun that's actually pleasant to shoot.
    Makes sense. I'll probably keep looking. I don't think my deal on the LCRx .357 is going to go through now anyway. I already have two J frame snubbies to shoot wadcutters out of. I probably won't be gaining too much over them with a 3" barrel.

I'm thinking I might be better off getting a pair of magna grips for my M66-2 and calling it good for now.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I have a M60-2 4" already. Great pistol.

M60 3" are rare as hen's teeth. I found one for sale local but it has the dreaded lock. I would do a 3" M60 or M65 if I could find the right one. Or a M64
    I meant to say I have a M66 4"

User Tag List