Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at a Ruger LCR .357 3"BBL Talk me out of it!

Looking at a Ruger LCR .357 3"BBL Talk me out of it!

I'm looking at a used Ruger LCR .357 3"BBL

Seems like it would make a good light weight carry piece. Any body have one? Love it? Hate it?

Since your title says to talk you out of it...

The LCR is a pocket gun, getting it in a 3" barrel is a compromise that doesn't win on anything.

If you want a pocket gun, get the 2" barrel LCR or a 642/442. If you want a 3" gun, get one with a 6 round cylinder, and heavier so it is more shootable, since you will be carrying it in a proper belt holster or not at all.

The LCR in a 3" barrel is the worst of both worlds.

There, I talked you out of it.
    Join FPC

@jetfire can probably offer some advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I’ll talk you out of it.

Get a 3” S&W Model 60. It’s like 6-8 ounces heavier (depending on the version of LCR and version of Smith), it’s stainless steel, it looks gorgeous, the trigger is heavier but shorter with a more positive reset, the selection of stocks is better, and the speedloader options are better (friggin’ JetLoaders). The weight makes .357s manageable, and it’s no heavier than a Glock 19.

If you’re going to carry a 3” 5-shot, you’re already carrying kind of a dumb gun (I am allowed to say that, I’m wearing one right now). It’s Glock 19 size but snubby capacity. Might as well look good being dumb.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post

Seems like it would make a good light weight carry piece. Any body have one? Love it? Hate it?
    The only reason I’d try and talk you out of it is that from the platform, the 3 inch 38 Special makes more sense. You’ll never shoot magnums out of it, or if you do you’ll only do it once, and the 38 gun is a couple oz lighter. I have carried one as EDC for a long time, and still use it as my go to for a lot of occasions. It’s definitely not a pocket gun, but it’s much easier to carry for extended periods than a Glock 19.

Oh and anyone who days a j-frame has a better trigger is smoking crack

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    The only reason I’d try and talk you out of it is that from the platform, the 3 inch 38 Special makes more sense. You’ll never shoot magnums out of it, or if you do you’ll only do it once, and the 38 gun is a couple oz lighter. I have carried one as EDC for a long time, and still use it as my go to for a lot of occasions. It’s definitely not a pocket gun, but it’s much easier to carry for extended periods than a Glock 19.

New J frames: This!

Old (pre MIM) J frames: Their triggers are usually fantastic.

Don't overlook the Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum. Same size as the .357 but with one additional round in the cylinder. Plus the .327 appears to be a solid choice in a snub if you're concerned about FBI ammunition performance specs.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ted-32-magnums

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Don't overlook the Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum. Same size as the .357 but with one additional round in the cylinder. Plus the .327 appears to be a solid choice in a snub if you're concerned about FBI ammunition performance specs.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ted-32-magnums
    Do they make this in the 3 inch now?

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Call me Marion Barry.

LCR is virgin light mushy break. J-frame is chad firm rolling break.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post

A lightweight .357 sounds like something only a masochist would love to shoot.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List