Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A friendly public service reminder!

I messed up my right wrist and had to wear a brace for a week. Turns out shooting is about the only thing I can do with my left hand because it's the only thing I've ever practiced. Even using a fork and wiping my backside was awkward. One more reason to get a bidet, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I hope your pain isn't too bad and you recover quickly.

When Hurricane Sally came through last month, and I was sawing up debris with a couple of bow saws, my daughter, noticing the chainsaws buzzing in the neighborhood, asked if I ever considered getting a chainsaw which would make this work a lot easier. I told her I had often thought of it, but since most of the plant life in our yard isn't that big, and the real big stuff would be better handled by a professional, I would probably find a chainsaw more of a hazard to my health than an aid to removing tree parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

Some pancake type holsters may work opposite normal side,
    I recall an Ayoob article years ago, where I believe he used a right hand High Noon Topless ( https://www.highnoonholsters.com/lea...e-duty/topless ) on the left side with fairly good success. I think the key is it has to be a true pancake and not one of the modern versions with offset construction such as the Sparks i-Bak, Rosen President, Ritchie Belt Speed Scabbard, etc.

Be thankful you didn't do something life changing and that your hand will heal. Over the years, my father tried to introduce us to people who had difficulties but adapted around them. As an example, a blind electronics repair person, who would jump his hand over capacitors, as he was tracing the circuit.
    When I was a kid, my sibling ended up with a broken arm. Part of our punishment, was we had to teach each other to write with the other hand. I think because of that, I am more ambidextrous them most.

Site Supporter
    Having been through that, I used a Glock brand holster on my nondominant side. Since then, I have a righty holster for my Glock and 1911. I think their are Alessi, They are in the cave of forgotten equipment.

Keep in mind that a dominate hand/arm injury can occur at any time. What if that inopportune time is at or directly after the injury? Have you practiced drawing with your "other strong hand" from a strong side holster? Do you have the program to do so? How about reloads or weapon malfunction clearances single handed?

Then of course how much time have you invested in shooting with your other strong hand? Do you know your capabilities?

I was with out power yesterday due to the remnants of the hurricane that come through, so I spent the morning doing dry fire exercises with my support/good hand. I followed up with some live fire in the afternoon. I have always done some weak handed practice/drills but having to swap hands for the near future I have learned some things;

A JMCK universal for the P365 makes a decent between the belt holster when worn appendix. The clip is secure and is not coming off unless you want it to. It needs to be behind the belt to not be floppy.

Cheap holsters are still cheap for a reason.

Changing the mag release to the right side of the 365 was very strange and alien. I could not get the hang of releasing the mag with my left thumb so I changed it back so I could use the trigger finger for release. I guess this was learned from the weak hand practice that I have done.

I shoot the Sig and the LCR equally good.....ish.

If I have to reload the LCR I may have to ask the bad guy to do it for me.

Reloads for the Sig or the LCR can be timed with a sun dial, possibly even a daily planner.

Using the injured hand for support when shooting is a really bad idea. It only took 1 round to figure this out. OW !

Anything placed in the right pocket may as well been put in a vault at Ft. Knox.

Angled mag pouches do not reverse sides very well.

I will keep this updated as I go along so others can learn from my bad happening and can make future plans.

Thanks for all the well wishes.

CD

User Tag List