Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A friendly public service reminder!

A friendly public service reminder!

Yesterday I became a lefty in a flash, story here https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1132889

I have seen the tales told here about needing a support hand set up and always said I need to get a left handed holster and never have acted on it. I am glad I have a convertible holster for my LCR and P365, I didn't do this on purpose.

If you haven't set yourself up with support hand gear, do it now and don't wait until you are typing one handed.

Site Supporter
    Bummer! Glad it wasn't worse!
    Heal quick! And thanks for the reminder.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    That sucks!

Lefty holsters for two of my commonly carried guns are already here, and ambidextrous pocket holsters for two as well.

A few years ago, my brother had a wreck skiing and broke the radius and ulna just above the wrist on his dominant hand. He was a bit unprepared and clumsy with it. He’s very talented and dexterous with his dominant hand (artist, architect), so this was distressing for him and a wake-up call for me. Ever since, I spend some time every year dry practicing with a sock over my dominant hand to mimic a cast so my off-side hand has to do all of the work loading and unloading and dry-firing.

I think I did that last year during JMCKs Black Friday sale. I ought to get some practice in with it.

Bummer dude. Injured my right hand almost ten years ago, and never regained full strength and dexterity. Carried and shot left-handed for almost six months. Oddly, I found smaller guns much easier to draw and shoot well.

Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

Last week I became strong hand only. Which isn't nearly as bad as you, but something to think about. Definitely slowed down my reloads. I should be good to go in another week I guess. Fileting your left hand trigger finger with a brand new BenchMade 496 Vector hurts like Hell and isn't recommended.

Site Supporter
    Sorry to learn of the injury, and thank you for posting an important lesson. Holsters take time to obtain, and weak hand skills take time to develop, but an injury forces the need for both right now.

I have the holsters but need to practice more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

When I had shoulder surgery several years ago I used the cheapo factory Glock plastic holster and mag carrier left handed, they worked quite well. I practiced loading magazines one handed with the factory plastic mag loader and the mag between my legs sitting on the bed. It can be done, but is slow and clumsy. Was just curious if I could do it.

For a while I used the glock holster on the shoulder brace straps, it worked OK there until I didnt need the brace, then it went on my belt.

Im more of a revolver fan, but the idea of not having to reload for 15 rds won out, besides simpler reloading. Drop empty mag, put in holster, grab spare, insert, pull gun and cycle slide on belt with rear sight.

Some pancake type holsters may work opposite normal side, the retention (thumb break) may be awkward, but may work.

Edit: Nice work on the finger, Ive had a few such decorations on my hands. Not as much fun when they have to cut it open more to get the tendons put back together.
    Last edited by Malamute; 10-28-2020 at 08:51 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    When I had shoulder surgery several years ago I used the cheapo factory Glock plastic holster and mag carrier left handed, they worked quite well. I practiced loading magazines one handed with the factory plastic mag loader and the mag between my legs sitting on the bed. It can be done, but is slow and clumsy. Was just curious if I could do it.

For a while I used the glock holster on the shoulder brace straps, it worked OK there until I didnt need the brace, then it went on my belt.

Im more of a revolver fan, but the idea of not having to reload for 15 rds won out, besides simpler reloading. Drop empty mag, put in holster, grab spare, insert, pull gun and cycle slide on belt with rear sight.

Some pancake type holsters may work opposite normal side, the retention (thumb break) may be awkward, but may work.

Edit: Nice work on the finger, Ive had a few such decorations on my hands. Not as much fun when they have to cut it open more to get the tendons put back together.
    I bought a Gen5 with the lefty friendly features in mind... for just this reason. I suspect I'll be going under the knife for shoulder work within the year. It's also why I've been practicing a bit with my left hand, both J-frame and Glocks. I may have to pick up one of the cheap Glock holsters as a stopgap. J-frames I've already got covered for ambi holsters.

Dane: I hope things heal quickly and completely for you!

I learned this lesson in the early 90s. Heading to a birthday party for a friend, I stopped to pickup up my newly acquired Norinco 1911 from the FFL. While at the party, I proceeded to break my right/dominant hand playing basketball. 8 weeks in a cast and had to learn how to shoot left handed pretty quick in order to enjoy my new purchase.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List