Thread: Surefire rechargeable batteries?

Surefire rechargeable batteries?

Received an email from Surefire re. Rechargeable 123A batteries. Searched the forum and did not see this discussed yet. Apologies in advance if my googlefu is weak.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

One note of caution:

-non-rechargeable CR123 batteries are 3.0 volts (per cell)
    -normal rechargeable Li-ion batteries are 3.7
    -the surefire rechargeable 123's are 3.2

I don't know if it is common, but I have encountered devices in the past that warned against using the 3.7V rechargeables, because they hadn't been designed for the higher voltage. IIRC when Surefire came out with theirs the claim to fame was that the lower voltage was likely to be safer in more devices.

Again, I don't know how common a such restriction might be. For a cheap light I'd risk it. But I wouldn't put the rechargeables in a $expensive night vision thingy without some careful research.

IANAL, YMMV, ...

Site Supporter
    I was looking at the Surefire batteries. Since they are 3.2 volts aren't they supposed to be usable in Surefire lights that don't work with other rechargeable batteries? Will the Efest work in place of a regular 123a?

Looks like "whomever" answered my question.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I was looking at the Surefire batteries. Since they are 3.2 volts aren't they supposed to be usable in Surefire lights that don't work with other rechargeable batteries? Will the Efest work in place of a regular 123a?

Looks like "whomever" answered my question.
    I use them in my Malkoff "Bodyguard 1".

I use 16650's in my SF lights designed for two CR123 batteries.

Like these:

https://www.illumn.com/batteries-cha...utton-top.html

I don't have any Surefire's designed for only one CR123, and I use primaries in my weapon lights.

So for those of us who aren't battery nerds with a PhD in chemistry, do those surefire batteries work with this charger or is the charger on the surefire site proprietary: https://malkoffdevices.com/collectio...mh-usb-charger It seems to work with almost everything else.

Also, I guess the other, common 3.7v (?) 16340 are a no-go as direct replacements for cr123a batteries?

Specifically thinking about a Surefire E1B that runs off a single cr123a battery.

The big thing I'll note about these is that they have much reduced capacity compared to primary cells; they have only a capacity of 450 mAh, while the primary cells have 1550 mAh. Thus, there is probably approximately a 3 fold difference in runtime.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    So for those of us who aren't battery nerds with a PhD in chemistry, do those surefire batteries work with this charger or is the charger on the surefire site proprietary: https://malkoffdevices.com/collectio...mh-usb-charger It seems to work with almost everything else.
    I don't think it'll work with that, as those are suppose to be only supporting charging on Li-ion (including IMR), NiMH, and NiCD, doesn't say anything about LiFePO4.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 10-28-2020 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    only supporting charging on Li-ion (including IMR), NiMH, and NiCD, doesn't say anything about LiFePO4.
    I would like to buy a vowel.

Thanks for the input. If the decrease in runtime is linear going from 80 minutes to roughly 20 is... not great. I have plenty of cr123s.

The Nitecore D2 and D4 chargers will work with them...

User Tag List