Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NVG Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/darkfocusconcepts/ He finally made a first post. He said that he didn't really feel like making an e-commerce site, since he only has one product; guess I'll have to get him to make more swag.
    I already ordered two the other day, as my brother could use one, too

https://www.instagram.com/darkfocusconcepts/ He finally made a first post. He said that he didn't really feel like making an e-commerce site, since he only has one product; guess I'll have to get him to make more swag.

No need for swag for most serious users but a simple way to buy them and send a link. Most end users aren't the type to go hunt down Instagram accounts and such, they want a link from the "gear" guy where they can just buy it etc. Glad he is on there, I followed him a while ago just forgot about it honestly, I know my buddy Ben could remind me about his page.

Anyone have input on the Hel-Star lights? Specifically a 5 vs. a 6?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Anyone have input on the Hel-Star lights? Specifically a 5 vs. a 6?

Thanks!
    I run a 6 specifically a HS-620-01, way more compact than the 5 and the current gen. 5 works and is good but you it is a lot bigger foot print. One thing unless you want it ( I don't recommend it) is the 640 series have a lock on the switch to keep you from just changing modes, you have to lift this super small tab to change modes and basically the only way to do it is with two hands and you have to have some fingernails lol, pain in the ass to me.

Last edited by karmapolice; 12-08-2020 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    I run a 6 specifically a HS-620-01, way more compact than the 5 and the current gen. 5 works and is good but you it is a lot bigger foot print. One thing unless you want it ( I don't recommend it) is the 640 series have a lock on the switch to keep you from just changing modes, you have to lift this super small tab to change modes and basically the only way to do it is with two hands and you have to have some fingernails lol, pain in the ass to me.

I think you have the numbers switched, the 620s are the ones that's said to need a tool to swap modes but can be done with fingernails, while the 640 is a simple slider. The argument is that the 620s are impossible to have a white light ND due to something bumping the switch; the 640's slider is pretty strongly detented, though, so I don't think it's a huge concern for your average person. CORE told me that they can convert a 620 to 640 for 40 USD plus S&H.

I think you have the numbers switched, the 620s are the ones that's said to need a tool to swap modes but can be done with fingernails, while the 640 is a simple slider. The argument is that the 620s are impossible to have a white light ND due to something bumping the switch; the 640's slider is pretty strongly detented, though, so I don't think it's a huge concern for your average person. CORE told me that they can convert a 620 to 640 for 40 USD plus S&H.
    Yes I reversed it when I typed it lol, I have a 640. A buddy had the 620, hated it. I've never had mine change without me physically doing it, ever.

Thanks! Is the 6 as easy to see under NV? The 5 looks to have more surface area for the lights. It would be going on a helmet so I don't think the extra space will be an issue. Unless I don't know what I don't know... lol! I presume newer is better, but I'm not doing HALO jumps over sucksistan.

Thanks! Is the 6 as easy to see under NV? The 5 looks to have more surface area for the lights. It would be going on a helmet so I don't think the extra space will be an issue. Unless I don't know what I don't know... lol! I presume newer is better, but I'm not doing HALO jumps over sucksistan.

super easy to see in IR mode under NVG and the vis mode is nice too. There are multiple LEDS in the 6.

super easy to see in IR mode under NVG and the vis mode is nice too. There are multiple LEDS in the 6.
    Thanks! I'm actually trying to outfit 2 helmets. I may get the 6 for the Airframe since the 5 would be less than ideal with the opening between the shells. The other one can use the 5 and save me $60. lol! Found this photo and I still think the 5 would give more visibility based on the LED spread. But I've not seen either of them under NV.

*photo from soldiersystems.net

Thanks! I'm actually trying to outfit 2 helmets. I may get the 6 for the Airframe since the 5 would be less than ideal with the opening between the shells. The other one can use the 5 and save me $60. lol! Found this photo and I still think the 5 would give more visibility based on the LED spread. But I've not seen either of them under NV.

*photo from soldiersystems.net
    The 6 is bright, I have seen many of them under NVG. The 6 is what is in high use in MIL/LE world. The 5 isn't bad but its not just about spread, the 6 has improvements. Honestly depending on what you are doing you could get away with a Unity Spark if not high use.

User Tag List