Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NVG Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Thanks!

I just ordered the Wilcox G22 and the J arm from TNVC. I have the USGI setup right now, until that comes. I have a feeling the INVG Hyper would have stowed the unit better (vertical arm/unit swung back to the helmet), But I was unsure if I could get the correct eye alignment. I know the wilcox would get me there. And if I wanted to unload the Wilcox and get the INVG, the g22 would easily sell on the secondary market with just a little loss.

Maybe you guys could post some helmet pics and explain what you've got going on. That would be a great help
    NVG's aren't in the picture but I run Sentinels with L3 un-filmed white phosphor tubes (auto gain). Best/cheap focus caps are some butler creek scope caps with a 5.56mm hole drilled out in the center (what I still run because the only purpose built ones I like are the Matbock Taser's which are like $300 a piece). I have time on PVS14 and some small time on other stuff.

Helmet- old Crye Airframe (love it, would like an Mtek) wish it had full ops core rails.

Mount- is a ball detent set up with a remote battery pack (for long term use/work stuff) so I have a WILCOX L4 G02 Mount

Shroud- Wilcox L4 Three hole with Lanyard

Ears- Peltor Comtac III with Unity Mark adapters

IFF- Core Survival Hel Star (use also if running any air assets for ID) and Unit ID with IR and IR flag

Battery Pack- TNVC Mowhawk with an AB ground spec battery pack and a Spiritus lid snake cover for the wire.

Lights- M300 scout vampire mounted on Echo Arms so I can take it off use it as a handheld or make it an umbrella light etc. / secondary light is a Princeton Tech remix with Green/Red/White/IR for task/navigation light

Pads- 4D zero pads totally worth their weight in gold

So a lot of this is more for use in a work setting, than just having fun or civilian use. Biggest things are good tubes, good mount and arm (WILCOX J arm for a PVS14 is mandatory), comfortable helmet and pads, some sort of IR handheld/helmet mount, and a good IR laser/Illuminator for rifle.

Last edited by karmapolice; 10-29-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    NVG's aren't in the picture but I run Sentinels with L3 un-filmed white phosphor tubes (auto gain). Best/cheap focus caps are some butler creek scope caps with a 5.56mm hole drilled out in the center (what I still run because the only purpose built ones I like are the Matbock Taser's which are like $300 a piece). I have time on PVS14 and some small time on other stuff.

Helmet- old Crye Airframe (love it, would like an Mtek) wish it had full ops core rails.

Mount- is a ball detent set up with a remote battery pack (for long term use/work stuff) so I have a WILCOX GSGM

Shroud- Wilcox L4 Three hole with Lanyard

Ears- Peltor Comtac III with Unity Mark adapters

IFF- Core Survival Hel Star (use also if running any air assets for ID) and Unit ID with IR and IR flag

Battery Pack- TNVC Mowhawk with an AB ground spec battery pack and a Spiritus lid snake cover for the wire.

Lights- M300 scout vampire mounted on Echo Arms so I can take it off use it as a handheld or make it an umbrella light etc. / secondary light is a Princeton Tech remix with Green/Red/White/IR for task/navigation light

Pads- 4D zero pads totally worth their weight in gold

So a lot of this is more for use in a work setting, than just having fun or civilian use. Biggest things are good tubes, good mount and arm (WILCOX J arm for a PVS14 is mandatory), comfortable helmet and pads, some sort of IR handheld/helmet mount, and a good IR laser/Illuminator for rifle.

The 4D pads should arrive with the G22 and the Wilcox J arm. I've already got the Unity Mark adapters inbound for my Comtacs. I already have the TNVC mohawk attached. I'm hoping that throwing money at good stuff will make the helmet come together with less drama, fiddling, and re-purchasing. I'll look into your setup for illum on the helmet.

I've got X300V/RM06 on the handguns and a ESPS 3-0 on the rifles. Only one rifle has a X300v. I guess outfitting them is the next part.
    Last edited by theJanitor; 10-29-2020 at 07:57 PM.

Oh, and UNITY FAST height mounts for the EXPS are lovely

Oh, and UNITY FAST height mounts for the EXPS are lovely
    Yeah I run the FAST aimpoint, which I kind of want an EXPS3 to play with again. It has been years since I've messed with eotechs. The RMR piggy backed on my NX8 works great passive as well. For a rifle IR Laser/Illumninator the B.E. Meyers MAWL is the best around bar none.

Yeah I run the FAST aimpoint, which I kind of want an EXPS3 to play with again. It has been years since I've messed with eotechs. The RMR piggy backed on my NX8 works great passive as well. For a rifle IR Laser/Illumninator the B.E. Meyers MAWL is the best around bar none.
    My wallet is literally on fire. I think I'll be on passive for a little while. The primary goal for the move to NV was for observational purposes. Using them with a rifle was a secondary priority. I was hoping to get off easy with a Crye Nightcap and a Wilcox fixed mount. But I literally can't fit the nightcap, so I went to a bump. It's been all downhill since.

My wallet is literally on fire. I think I'll be on passive for a little while. The primary goal for the move to NV was for observational purposes. Using them with a rifle was a secondary priority. I was hoping to get off easy with a Crye Nightcap and a Wilcox fixed mount. But I literally can't fit the nightcap, so I went to a bump. It's been all downhill since.
    Still get a Nightcap when you can. I love mine because screw wearing a lid if you don't have to, plus it's easy to slip on and takes all of zero space in a bag. The Nightcap offers a lot of flexibility. It saves the neck as well as you're less likely to hang extra crap since there is nowhere to put it.

Best/cheap focus caps are some butler creek scope caps with a 5.56mm hole drilled out in the center (what I still run because the only purpose built ones I like are the Matbock Taser's which are like $300 a piece).
    A good friend of mine makes these:

They're more than just a Butler Creek scope cap... but only a little more, definitely nowhere near a MATBOCK Tarsier Eclipse or Phokus Hoplite, and have been a hit with some very switched on NVG folks (including the training facility repped in karmapolice's pic). If anyone is interested, PM me, and I can point you toward him.

For a rifle IR Laser/Illumninator the B.E. Meyers MAWL is the best around bar none.
    Well... depends on your needs (assuming full power is in the picture). For quick switching between short/medium/long range such as constant in and out of building to streets, for sure the MAWL is unbeatable. But the Wilcox RAID-X has some features that could put it above the MAWL in other places, given its much more fine tunable (which the MAWL necessarily sacrifices for its excellent switchology), smaller footprint, and much lighter. Either way, the NGAL is appears to be the weakest entrant of the next gen lasers, despite being the choice of SOCOM. I think the most interesting price point is around 1k USD, and whether you go for a Perst-3 or a DBAL-D2.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 10-29-2020 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    A good friend of mine makes these:

They're more than just a Butler Creek scope cap... but only a little more, definitely nowhere near a MATBOCK Tarsier Eclipse or Phokus Hoplite, and have been a hit with some very switched on NVG folks (including the training facility repped in karmapolice's pic). If anyone is interested, PM me, and I can point you toward him.

Well... depends on your needs (assuming full power is in the picture). For quick switching between short/medium/long range such as constant in and out of building to streets, for sure the MAWL is unbeatable. But the Wilcox RAID-X has some features that could put it above the MAWL in other places, given its much more fine tunable (which the MAWL necessarily sacrifices for its excellent switchology), smaller footprint, and much lighter. Either way, the NGAL is appears to be the weakest entrant of the next gen lasers, despite being the choice of SOCOM. I think the most interesting price point is around 1k USD, and whether you go for a Perst-3 or a DBAL-D2.
    Yeah I need to get a pair, I have seen some of those at DARC and my one dude is buddies with your buddy as well. There isn't a commerce sight or anything so I keep forgetting where to contact him or point people to contact him.

If it is a fighting carbine I still think the MAWL is the best, I have a full power DA and ran a C1 for a good bit as well. The RAID X is nice but still not a huge fan of focus wheels etc. but I definitely take it over an NGAL or a PEQ or DBAL.

The Pads are a revelation, and the G22 is great for getting the unit off my glasses. I received the wrong ear pro adapters (Wendy, instead of ARC), so I'll figure something out for that.

Yeah I need to get a pair, I have seen some of those at DARC and my one dude is buddies with your buddy as well. There isn't a commerce sight or anything so I keep forgetting where to contact him or point people to contact him.
    https://www.instagram.com/darkfocusconcepts/ He finally made a first post. He said that he didn't really feel like making an e-commerce site, since he only has one product; guess I'll have to get him to make more swag.

User Tag List